Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Twist/Rope Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksctm

I've been trying to locate the thread with the video where the tobacco is wrapped in canvas then wrapped tight with a long rope.
I apologize, but I've looked here, youtube, forum index, search, and can't locate it. Could someone please shoot a pm my way and point me to where I might find it, If they know what video I'm talking about.
Thank You,

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This one?

How to make a Perique

The "insert video" link isn't working. When it's fixed, I'll edit this post to load the video here.

The video is beginning to degrade, so I captured it for "historical significance". That's the bad thing about youtube and internet videos in general...contrary to popular belief, they don't last forever.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Technically, the video is not making "a Perique", but more accurately, it is called a "carotte" (French)

The following was copied from;
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/french_to_english/manufacturing/929973-carottes_à_râper.html

Many of the links are irrelevant, so I can justify saving the information here as a type of archive for this information.

Explanation:
Most of the following is historical, so may not apply today. Don't know what the snuff market (nasal tobacco, as opposed to the American usage of "snuff" to mean chewing tobacco) is like these days. Note the Dunhill reference.

La carotte est tronçonnée en bouts égaux qu'on lie par torsion et, comprimée très fortement en moule après un sauçage, elle se présente comme un bâton aggloméré, pesant près de 2kg.
[Quid]

There are many terms used in the journals to refer to the proc-
essed tobacco utilized by the Corps of Discovery: twist, roll or spun, ***carrot***, brace of tobacco, etc. It is not always
clear which term is correct as separate journal entries for the same day may use different terms. We can docu-
ment that 130 rolls of pigtail tobacco at 63 lbs., 5 carrots of tobacco (3 lbs.each), & 136 lbs. of tobacco (form un-
known), were purchased by the Expedition before reaching the Mandan & Hidatsa Villages. Quantities were
much more than this, however, as the Fort Mandan Miscellany lists 176 ****carrots*** of tobacco (about 500 lbs.) under
Indian Presents (Moulton,Vol.3, p.502). Clark also mentions giving each man about two feet of tobacco off a part
of a roll from a cache they dug up on July 8, 1806

A third type of trade tobacco, ***Carrot tobacco***, was a tight bundle of leaves thick in the mid-
dle and tapering to both ends. It was rolled up in linen & afterward wrapped with a cord-
line & then covered with canvas for shipping. Common sizes of carrot tobacco were one-
pound, 1 and a half pound, & 3-pounds
[www.corpsofdiscovery.org/ Newletters%20Honor%20Guard/Journal%20-%20June%202004.pdf]

A tightly rolled, twisted bundle of tobacco leaves (Nicotiana tabacum), called a ***carrot***, was convenient for ***chewers***
[http://www.lewis-clark.org/content/content-article.asp?Artic...]

Voyageurs wore a short shirt, red woolen cap or a tuque, a pair of deerskin leggings, deerskin
moccasins, and a colorful sash for decoration and support when lifting heavy packs. Often they
smoked a pipe and carried a beaded bag or pouch, hung from their sash to store tobacco or
other items. Their equipment, other than the canoe and paddles, consisted of a blanket, a shirt,
a pair of trousers, two handkerchiefs, and several pounds of ***carrot tobacco***—a plug of tobacco
twisted into a carrot shape
[www.friends-bwca.org/pdfs/Unit4LessonPlan.pdf]

Rope tobacco was tightly twisted, connected, and placed onto spools for curing. Then, the rope was cut into shorter sections, refereed to as a ***carotte***, which was ground by a rasp for snuff, or broken into small sections for smoking in clay pipes. The remaining tobacco was sorted and stripped of its veins and stems.
[http://www.sheffieldexchange.com/nasal.htm]

The Seventeenth century Snuffer, bought his Snuff, in a partially-manufactured state, in the form of a solid roll of hard tobacco a few inches long. Descriptively called a ***"Carotte"***. When he wanted to produce some Snuff, the carotte was rubbed against a grater or tobacco rasp. The collected gratings were fine tobacco powder known as snuff.
[http://www.ramshornstudio.com/tobacco_boxes.htm]

DUNHILL French ***Carotte*** Special Snuff $54. ...
www.rubylane.com/shops/molotov/ ilist/,cs=Collectibles:Tobacciana,id=2.49.html

En France, la "carotte" est l'enseigne des bureaux de tabac. ...
formation.tabacologie.globalink.org/ rmolimard200006/cours.htm
SO THAT'S WHAT IT IS - INTERESTING!!!!!!

Last edited:

marksctm

Yes sir, That's the one!
All morning I've looked for this but introduce your self is one that I did not check.
Thank you both, Don and Bob, That sounds like a morning radio show. The Don And Bob morning tobacco show Here on WFTT Tobacco Radio.;)
Anyways,
Thank you both,

marksctm

Technically, the video is not making "a Perique", but more accurately, it is called a "carottes" (French)

I was wanting to know if this was the same as (Navy Cut) method.

NAVY CUT Refers to the days when British sailors were allowed topurchase unmanufactured, duty-free tobacco leaf.
They formed it into a cigar-like roll and bound it tightly
with a thin cord. As tobacco was required, the rope
was unwound and the pressed, solid plug cut into
slices.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I tried that, in 2009 ....... and I don't recommend it.
I wrapped air-cured, low-case burley, made a really tight bundle. Re-hung in the curing shed overwinter. The next spring, placed in the fermenting kiln for about 6 weeks. Then just stored in a plastic tub, with my other loose-leaf tobacco bales, which remained in low-to-mid case, for about 6 months.
When I finally unwrapped it, it was a solid brick - totally unuseable. I couldn't cut with a box-cutter. I could use it like a hammer, to pound nails. Now I store it just loosely cloth-wrapped in the fermenting kiln. It's been through multiple cycles of fermentation, and still has not absorbed enough moisture to soften even the outer layers of leaf.
I've thought of placing in a plastic bag, with a cup of water, but am afraid it will just mold.
Another idea I had - place in a 2 1/2" plastic pipe with end caps, filled with vodka or some spirits, for a few months.....but think this might be a waste of good booze.
Anyway, I've got this brick of tobacco, to remind me of what not to do.

(edit) IMG_0211.JPG

photo of my burley 'carottes' - it's about 2 inch diam. and a foot long, Was about 2+ lbs of tobacco, now 10 oz dry. That's the cotton-muslin wrapper, and some of the rope wrapper used. Yes, that's a 6d nail in a pine 2x2, nailed just before the photo. I still don't know what to do with this thing. Also thought of sawing this log into 'dollars', but what to do with a dollar-brick?
I used the method in the Utube video - post #2 from FmGrowit .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.