Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Question from a green horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Chew

Ok I'm new at this and i understand that growing, curing, fermenting, and processing baccy is an art. I have grown, harvested, and air dried a crop of 70 plants for the last 2 years. I live in north Georgia so conditions for growing and are curing are great.
I now am ready to ferment and process my last 2 years crops.
I don't plan on planting this spring...I want to understand the next phased of the process before I grow anymore.

I know to use a humidifier or crock pot for moisture and a heater for temperature...inside a freezer or fridge to create the environment of 70-80% moisture at 120* F for 4 weeks...
Q#1: what would you men recommend for controlling the humidity and heat?

Q#2: I primed the 1st year crop and have it already in hands but the 2nd years crop I stalked. Is there a way to ferment the stalked baccy without having to bring it into case and put it into hands to hang? Can I just break it off the stalks and place it in a basket or mesh bag and place it in the kiln? Will it mold I I do that?

Q#3: after the fermenting process is complete how can I easily store the baccy? is it best to press it into bricks to store in the freezer?

I know all the answers to my questions can be found in this within the knowledge/experience of you fellow baccy artists...I would love your help...

G-Chew

Sorry yes I want to support my habit of chewing and not support the big guys...a plug style or a shredded style chew

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Fermenting or kilning is a way to speed up the aging process. If you have tobacco one year old or older it has already gone through the natural fermentation process and should be ready to go. The kilning processes you read about here are for the guys that don't want to wait at least a year to start using the current years tobacco. You can kiln tobacco for about a month and have about what you have after natural aging for a year. If you have two years worth of tobacco you don't need to kiln, just start on your oldest tobacco first and you're set. Tobacco is like wine the longer it ages the smoother and better tasting it will be. I doubt there's a person on this forum that wouldn't love to have two seasons of tobacco that's been naturally aged. Your tobacco is ready to be put to use right now. As for storage, you can just keep it hanging as is as long as humidity doesn't go over 80% for several days in a row or it might mildew. Mildew is all you really have to worry about now that it has aged. If it gets so dry it crumbles when you handle it you can mist it with water or leave it outside until it absorbes enough moisture so that you can handle it. You can also put in plastic or cardboard boxes an put it a closet. I just ordered some vapor proof bags from Don at www.WholeLeafTobacco.com for storage. Here's a link. http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?418-Vapor-Proof-Bags&highlight=vapor+proof+bags Also if you want to see the bags I took a picture of my whole leaf order that was shipped in them. Here's that link: http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?1569-Don-s-Buy-One-Get-Two-Free To order the bags just send Don a PM and he will send you a PayPal invoice.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Fermenting or kilning is a way to speed up the aging process. If you have tobacco one year old or older it has already gone through the natural fermentation process and should be ready to go. The kilning processes you read about here are for the guys that don't want to wait at least a year to start using the current years tobacco. You can kiln tobacco for about a month and have about what you have after natural aging for a year. If you have two years worth of tobacco you don't need to kiln, just start on your oldest tobacco first and you're set. Tobacco is like wine the longer it ages the smoother and better tasting it will be. I doubt there's a person on this forum that wouldn't love to have two seasons of tobacco that's been naturally aged. Your tobacco is ready to be put to use right now. As for storage, you can just keep it hanging as is as long as humidity doesn't go over 80% for several days in a row or it might mildew. Mildew is all you really have to worry about now that it has aged. If it gets so dry it crumbles when you handle it you can mist it with water or leave it outside until it absorbes enough moisture so that you can handle it. You can also put in plastic or cardboard boxes an put it a closet. I just ordered some vapor proof bags from Don at www.WholeLeafTobacco.com for storage. Here's a link. http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?418-Vapor-Proof-Bags&highlight=vapor+proof+bags Also if you want to see the bags I took a picture of my whole leaf order that was shipped in them. Here's that link: http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?1569-Don-s-Buy-One-Get-Two-Free To order the bags just send Don a PM and he will send you a PayPal invoice.
GREAT answer Knucks. There may be hope for you yet. LOL -- J

G-Chew

Wow! Thank you fellows for the encouraging words today...keep em coming...and I will keep you posted on my progress...please let me know how I can help you too ':cool:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
#1- Pull for Alabama (especially in SEC title game if we make it)
#2- send tobacco
#3- with my first grow coming up you can answer all my questions

G-Chew

I hear ya! As long as the Dawgs beat Tech today I will pull for Alabama!
I will be glad to answer any question about growing...course my advice comes with a disclaimer...my wife says all my advice sux... LOL!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I hear ya! As long as the Dawgs beat Tech today I will pull for Alabama!
I will be glad to answer any question about growing...course my advice comes with a disclaimer...my wife says all my advice sux... LOL!
Yeah but it's supposed to be bad advice. Ya gotta luv em! There's no other excuse for livin' with em. -- J

Status
Not open for further replies.