Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

A short documentary film " Tobacco Girl "

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
"Tobacco Girl (Tabakmädchen)". This short documentary film realised in 2009. In this short movie, the story of a oriental tobacco grower family -especially the girl- is narrated. Most of the oriental tobaccos in Eastern Europe especially in Balkans (Macedonia, Bulgaria, Greece,...) are grown by Turkish minorities. Last month EU took a decision, they want to ban oriental tobaccos in tobacco blends. The reason is, oriental tobaccos are made cigarettes attractive with their good flavors, ridiculous. Whatever ...

I couldn't see the film because I missed the festival in Turkey where it was on view. I'm searching it, if anybody reaches the film please let me know. BTW, the director is Biljana Garvanlieva and film was awarded form this film festivals ;

Ljubljana International Short Film Festival 2010, Slovenia.
12th Thessaloniki International Documentary Festival 21, Greece.
Ankara International Film Festival, Turkey.
Festival de Films de Femmes de Créteil, France.
58th Trento Film Festival, Italy.

The story
" Mümine is a 14 years of age and she lives with her family in the high mountains of Macedonia. Her family belongs to the Turkish minority. Mümine’s family needs her for the difficult work in the tobacco fields – their only source of income. Mümine is raised in the tobacco plants. She is supposed to marry and be sold to her future husband. One kilogram of tobacco costs 3 Euro, a girl is worth about 3000 Euro. That’s the tradition amongst the Yörük people. But Mümine refuses to accept. She would rather escape, if that meant she could marry the one she loved. In that case her mother warns, she would become an outcast. It is her dream to move to Skopje city to go to school – she wants to become a teacher. Will she be allowed to continue to high school, escaping the shackles of day-to-day village life? "

Trailer
[video=vimeo;44509832]http://vimeo.com/44509832[/video]

P.S.
I believe the strain of the tobacco is Prilep

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I read up on Macedonia. It has had a very convoluted history from Alexander to Roman Empire to Ottoman Empire to Yugoslavia to Independence. I am assuming the Turkish minority to be holdovers from it's time in the Ottoman Empire. The story of the little girl is very sad. How a monetary price can be placed above a human beings happiness or rights to freedom. The country must be very poor. I cannot imagine a world where money means more than family. The video shows how the world I live in as an individual is very small compared to the world as a unit. I must get back to studying my world history. As the man said if we forget our history we are doomed to repeat it. I am really at a loss for words here. I am grateful to be surrounded by a family that loves me and while not rich I am most grateful that I don't have to sell off one family member to feed the others. Really sad and thought provoking video.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Ok- I've thought it over. If I DO need help with my tobacco, how much is 3000 Euros in US dollars?

istanbulin

Founding Member
What a beatiful hearth you have. I was very touched with the strory too. The people are very poor there especially in rural areas. Did you notice, the elder womans first time meeting with a washing machine. As they thought they have no chance about this issue. But the main problem is education (also economical problems are important), most of the rural areas are deprived of education. BTW, € 3000 equals to app. $ 3900. This is your kindness but I'm not sure your tobaccos could make this amount.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I noticed that about the washing machine. The lady almost looked like she thought the girl was joking or making fun. My father has that look when I try to explain what all the buttons on the satellite television remote control are for. He thinks back to an on and off button and a dial to change channels. As to the 3000 Euros, if I only had the right Turkish tobacco seed.....

istanbulin

Founding Member
I read an article in BAL-TÜRK (Balkan Turks Cultural and Fraternal Association) website last night and found the name of this village and the county.

This villages name is Alikoç located in the muniplacy of Radoviš (Радовиш) in in the southeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia near the Plačkovica Mountains. You were right AlabamaKnucklehead about poverty, they got water for their houses after long years with the help of Turkish government. Of course these helps are not enough for these people. As written in the article there're nearly 15 villages in this stuation between Radoviš and Štip (Штип).
In the video above, people are talking in Turkish with a Balkan accent, I can understand nearly all of the words.

New photos;

makedonyada_bir_osmanli_yoruk_koyu13572065360_h972703-495x239.jpg

koc2jpg_h994.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.