Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Strains of cigar tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

I have seen on many websites that sell cigar leaf for roll your own cigars. They usually refer to the filler they sell as Dominican ligero or seco or Nicaraguan ligero or seco. To which strains of tobacco are they referring to? As an analogy, to me it sounds like they are selling burley and virginia tobacco. This terminology seems to be so broad as there are several types of Virginias and Burleys. I am sure that there must be specific strains of Dominican or Nicaraguan and even Honduran tobaccos. Is the seed used a trade secret?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Yep, that's pretty much the way the industry describes its products, but once you get into the smaller manufacturers, they seem to disclose a little more information.

Like this one

The above site still doesn't disclose which variety of Broadleaf is used and some of the fillers are of a variety or type that has no history.

BigBonner

Founding Member

SmokeStack

Thanks for the above links. Since we're on the subject of cigar strains:

I came across a website that is selling Vuelta Abajo seeds. On the website Vuelta Abajo was classified as an Oriental strain. This seems strange since Vuelta Abajo is probably exclusively used in cigars. I checked GRIN and Vuelta Abajo is listed, but a classification was not provided. It makes me wonder if I should trust the vendor of these seeds.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Marco,
I believe that JBD will be providing Vuelta Abajo seed to the FTT seed bank this season. I'd hold out for that. I've smoked both the unkilned and kilned leaf (from Randy) and can tell you that it's cigar leaf.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Marco,
I believe that JBD will be providing Vuelta Abajo seed to the FTT seed bank this season. I'd hold out for that. I've smoked both the unkilned and kilned leaf (from Randy) and can tell you that it's cigar leaf.Bob
Here we go again. Just when I thought I'd trimmed my 2013 grow list this pops up! Yes Wellll -- John

Randy

here I go again..but can all you please give opions on these??
havana 38
havana 41
havana 142
havana 425
havana 503{b}
havana 608

just wondering how thy grew and produced ETC.

Randy

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
All kinds of info on the site

These Havanas are a hoot. As I type this, I'm smoking a 7" puro of Havana 38, unkilned. I use a single strip of India Dark Air in any cigar containing unkilned leaf. The unkilned 38 is still a slight bit raw, but I believe will be excellent after kilning. I'll send some Havana 38, along with some Havana 263. (The 38 grew better for me, so it will be planted again next year, while the 263 will go on hiatus.) So far, JBD's Vuelta Abajo has the most authentic Cuban taste and aroma, but the other Havanas that I've tried are all primo cigar material. The kiln transforms them from good to outstanding.

Bob

Thanks Bob.
It wasn't nearly as good till I started Kilning it [Havana 425]. I don't know why but it realy improved as far as being able to stretch and roll, and the harshness was gone.
I don't know if you have tried any of BigBonners Havana 41 yet but if not let me know and I'll send you some to try. It is also very good and I would compare it to the 142 in color and taste. It smokes realy well. As far as the Bezuki I hope Don posts a warning if it looks like he may run out , because I sure don't want to. I'm still trying to learn on my kilning. I don't expect to get it all right the first time but the h-425 always maintains a good high case while other varietys seem to be a bit lower in case. I finaly got around to destemming most everything and lightly pressing and putting in smaller bags. I jumped the gun a little and stuck a whole bunch of stuff in there because I was anxious. A month is a long time to wait, but what will matter is what comes out.

The Havana 142 was one of the first whole leafs I smoked in cigs and cigars. If the Havana 425 is even close I'll be in Hog heaven. Not to mention the Havana 41.

I got a good set up where I can work 4 day weeks or less if I want. It took them a while to get me out of the woods and even leave the house.:cool:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Randy, I have only grown/smoked two of the Havanas on your list. Havana 142 makes a nice filler, binder and wrapper but I find it a little bland. Havana 425 is also bland but it makes a nice elastic wrapper. Maybe try a Havana 142 filler and binder wrapped in Havana 425? You could add another variety of leaf to your filler if you feel the need to spice it up some

the other randy

Randy

what kind of tobacco is best for whole stalk haverest..what mean is let the entire plant mature before havest unlike each leave at time{prime} I think they call it?..besides burley Imean

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You can stalk-harvest any variety. The advantage is that you don't have to fuss with individual leaves until they are already color cured. Most broadleaf, seedleaf, burley, Maryland, dark air-cured and cigar filler varieties can be handled this way. With sufficient height in your curing space (shed, etc.), stalk-harvested tobacco requires less square-footage to hang.

The disadvantages:
  • a mature tobacco plant may weigh 10 pounds
  • the weight of hanging stalks adds immensely to the weight carried by the curing structure
  • the stalks represent a huge quantity of water that must evaporate from the curing shed
  • your curing space requires enough height to avoid having the top leaves touch the floor
  • leaf from a single stalk will be at differing stages of maturity (i.e. the bottom leaf will be over-ripe while the top leaf may be immature)
  • the lower leaf is exposed to the weather for a longer period, and may become tattered or worthless
  • wrapper and binder usually needs to be primed at a specific stage of maturity
  • individual leaves still need to be individually stripped from the stalk, though this requires less care than priming from the growing plant
In a commercial setting, stalk-harvesting reduces labor costs, and clusters the periods of intense labor. For a home-grower this is usually not an issue.

I'm sure that other forum members can add other points to the lists.

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I like to prime lower leaves, the bottom third or so, then let the rest go till around the 50% frost time and harvest the stalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.