Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Marksctm first grow 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksctm

Chris, Little Dutch was a very popular tobacco for the American cigar industry through the 1880's. It was replaced by Comstock Spanish somewhere about 1890-ish. I wanted to smoke cigars like they did during the great cigar boom so I came up with a very tasty cigar that I smoke which is: Little Dutch for filler, Yellow Pryor for a binder and Glessnor for a wrapper. These are tobaccos that according to Killebrew were used in cigars during the boom time.

Thanks Jitterbug, The more info I get, The better.
Now I guess I'll start my 2014 seed list with Yellow Pryor and Glessnor.

skychaser

Little Dutch and Ohio Dutch are different plants. Related, but different. LD grows 2-3 feet tall and has very long narrow dark green leaves. It has a very unique and delicious flavor and aroma. I am mostly a cigarette smoker but I love LD in a pipe.

Ohio Dutch grows to 4-5 feet in height. The leaves are long, but much wider when compared to LD. It seamed to cure out a little easier than LD did for me last year. I haven't smoked any of my Ohio Dutch yet. It was a new addition this season so I'll let it hang until about christmas before I try it. I am expecting them to taste similar, but who knows, I may be surprised.

African Red has become my favorite bright leaf tobacco. It is similar to virginia golds in how it smokes, but has a little more flavor to it, and a lot higher nicotine content. It's a heavy producer for a bright leaf, but has a fairly long time to flower at about 80 days. I'm working on shaving that down to 65-70 days. In about 5 more generations I might get there. It air cures with ease both primed and stalk hung. The leaves cure a light golden brown color with a tinge of red. I ran out of last years AR a couple weeks ago. :/ This year I grew twice as much. Yesterday I pinched a few leaves off this years crop and much to my surprise, it smokes pretty decent already. I'll give it another month before I really dig in to it though.

There are picts of Little Dutch and African Red on my website. I'll get a pict of Ohio Dutch posted soon. We finally finished processing the last of this years seed crop yesterday. Now that all the seed is in the bag, I'll start working on posting info and picts on what we grew this year.

Sky

skychaser

Oh, and btw... Those are some nice lookin' plants and leaf for a rookie. :)
That unknown burley of yours in Monte Calme Yellow. After seeing the picts of your leaves, I am sure of it. But I'll still do that side by side grow out of your seed and mine next season to be absolutely sure.

marksctm

Oh, and btw... Those are some nice lookin' plants and leaf for a rookie. :)
That unknown burley of yours in Monte Calme Yellow. After seeing the picts of your leaves, I am sure of it. But I'll still do that side by side grow out of your seed and mine next season to be absolutely sure.

Thanks Sky,
I'm looking forward to how the grow out goes on those seeds, and see for sure what you think. The flower was white with a very light hint of pink.
If you misplace those seeds, I might be able to come up with another pint or 2.;) :D

The Little Dutch and Dutch (Ohio) are 2 that I look forward to growing and rolling cigars and taste them.
This year was, just get something in the ground.

Next year I can grow tobacco, for the tobacco and compare different types, growth, and taste,
And now that I have burley , I can try other things and learn more ABOUT tobacco. And thanks to a friend, Next year's going to be a blast when it comes to different things.

I want to know everything I can about what every I'm growing.
With me that's the fun of it. To know everything you can, about everything you grow.
And the information you provide is what makes growing tobacco rewarding when you know as much as you can about what your growing, smoking and bragging to your friends about.:D

I'm going to top everything but the rustica, and try to focus on getting the prime out of each leaf. If I can. And run a tighter ship. Sounds good anyway.

And I hope we have enough moist weather before next years harvest so I can pack away what I got hanging. It's so dry it cracks to look at it... Or it could be my face.

So next year (2013) will be my first planed grow and I'm really looking forward to it.
Now how big to go. At least, The more I grow, The less I mow.

Thanks Sky

Last edited:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Thanks Jitterbug, The more info I get, The better.
Now I guess I'll start my 2014 seed list with Yellow Pryor and Glessnor.

I just had to check with Killebrew because something in the back of my head said I was wrong (and I was). Little Dutch was replaced by the Miami Valley growers with Zimmer's Spanish, not Comstock Spanish as I has said earlier. Two other varieties that were grown in the Miami Valley were Baltimore Cuba and Thickset... no doubt these are no longer available.

marksctm

I just had to check with Killebrew because something in the back of my head said I was wrong (and I was). Little Dutch was replaced by the Miami Valley growers with Zimmer's Spanish, not Comstock Spanish as I has said earlier. Two other varieties that were grown in the Miami Valley were Baltimore Cuba and Thickset... no doubt these are no longer available.

I would like to try the cigar with Little Dutch filler, Yellow Pryor binder, and Glessnor wrapper. Sounds nice.

marksctm

African Red has become my favorite bright leaf tobacco. It is similar to virginia golds in how it smokes, but has a little more flavor to it, and a lot higher nicotine content. It's a heavy producer for a bright leaf, but has a fairly long time to flower at about 80 days. I'm working on shaving that down to 65-70 days. In about 5 more generations I might get there. It air cures with ease both primed and stalk hung. The leaves cure a light golden brown color with a tinge of red. I ran out of last years AR a couple weeks ago. :/ This year I grew twice as much. Yesterday I pinched a few leaves off this years crop and much to my surprise, it smokes pretty decent already. I'll give it another month before I really dig in to it though.

Sky

Sky.

I'm planing on growing a good bit of the African Red to help offset all the Burly I have.
And the Silk Leaf also is a must grow for me.
The Izmir Ozbis gives me my Turkish.
Aztec Rustica for a nicotine punch, and much needed pesticide.
Florida Sumatra for cigars.
With the Little Dutch and Dutch (Ohio}
That leaves the shirey and TN90.
I hope by next year this time, I should have a good stash of tobacco with what I grew this year, and planing to grow next year. To last a year or 2.
We'll see soon enough.
I'm kind of in a pack rat mode with growing tobacco, With more and more people starting grow tobacco, I fear big brother stepping in and trying to control the DIY growers.

leverhead

With more and more people starting grow tobacco, I fear big brother stepping in and trying to control the DIY growers.

They haven't had much success controlling DIY growers of anything else. I think fewer people would recognize tobacco than dope, even if they cared.

marksctm

They haven't had much success controlling DIY growers of anything else. I think fewer people would recognize tobacco than dope, even if they cared.

I'v had friends from KY come up and say, hey! nice tobacco.
Everyone else just say, oh what kind of flowers are those.
And their are few who don't believe it's tobacco when you do tell them.

skychaser

And their are few who don't believe it's tobacco when you do tell them.

lol That's everyone here! Even my local USDA agent told me tobacco won't grow around here. I was happy to prove them all wrong. :)

Washington State has one of the highest cigarette taxes in the nation. I can see the state coming up with some sort of permit to grow it if they think they can steal another dollar from me somehow. But as of Dec 6th, pot will be legal here to possess and grow. Wait and see. Before long I will be a criminal for growing tobacco but it will be okie dokie to grow dope. lol What a world.

I was adding Aztec to my blends to give it extra kick. It's very mild flavored and nice to smoke on its own if you can handle the high nic content, but Rustica leaves are small compared to tobaccums and are a pain to string up. African Red has a nic content of something like 29mg per gram of dried leaf, which is pretty high, so I don't need add the Aztec to blends with it.

Silk Leaf is a good producer for an heirloom VG type. Smokes real nice and mild too. But it can be more difficult to cure than others for some reason, At least it has been for me. Sometimes I get a few leaves that dry with a little green still left in them. But they still smoke good.

Shirey is a dark Virginian type. It's has more flavor than bright Virginians. We grew it 2 years ago and really liked it, so we grew a big row of it this year.

TN 90 is my favorite Burley. It's one of my staples. It is consistently a good producer from year to year, very easy to cure and has a great flavor when aged. If I had to pick 2 tobaccos to grow for ever on, I would pick TN 90 and African Red.

I tried some Costa Rica 589 tonight for the first time. It's been aging since last year. It's a very nice smoke! Very light and mild like a Turkish tobacco. It's too light for a filtered cigarette or most of the taste is lost. But in a pipe, it's wonderful. I like this stuff! It probably would make a great cigar filler too.

marksctm

But as of Dec 6th, pot will be legal here to possess and grow. Wait and see. Before long I will be a criminal for growing tobacco but it will be okie dokie to grow dope. lol What a world.
Ah hell! I busted a gut when I read that.
I'm wanting the Aztec more for a pesticide than anything, I want to have some to smoke too. but I want to make a good pesticide with some.
Do you use green or cured leaf when making it?
Also here's all the pictures of that Burley right after I primed some of it, you can see how the leaf or ruffle went right to the stalk. Did I word that right? Do you see what I mean?
And you can see how big the leaf is compared to the 5 gal bucket underneath.

week 11 july 30 2012_0007.jpgweek 11 july 30 2012_0013.jpgweek 11 july 30 2012_0024.jpgweek 11 july 30 2012_0010.jpgweek 11 july 30 2012_0025.jpgweek 11 july 30 2012_0026.jpgweek 11 july 30 2012_0027.jpgweek 11 july 30 2012_0028.jpg

And it was started last and matured first.The seed that came from, was grown north of you.

marksctm

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by skychaser
But as of Dec 6th, pot will be legal here to possess and grow. Wait and see. Before long I will be a criminal for growing tobacco but it will be okie dokie to grow dope. lol What a world.

And what timing.
Now you can possess, grow, use pot.
And Hostess stopped making Twinkies. DAMN IT!

marksctm

Chris,
Your photos of Burley remind me of the photos from Indonesia of their shade leaf. Very pretty stuff.

Bob

Thank you Bob,

That's an unknown Burley that I think Skychaser has narrowed down to Monte Clame Yellow, I sent him some seed from it, and he's going to grow it side by side with his Monte Ciame Yellow next year to compare.
The seed that I grew it from came from north west Canada, and has been grown there for many years and should be acclimated to a shorter growing season.
It produced a good amount nice big leaf, and growing tobacco for the first time, it kind of blew me away by the size of the leaf. I'm 6" 2' and 240 pounds, and a leaf would cover my whole upper torso.
It grew like a weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.