Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Yayladag Pipe Tobacco (blend and recipe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
This is the most wanted commercial pipe tobacco in Turkey and generally can not be found consistently in markets. Manufacturer may have some problems about distribution.

This blend contains Turkish tobaccos and a fire-cured tobacco (strain unknown).

Blend contains,

Strain ----------%
Yayladag -------40
Bitlis -----------24
Izmir -----------12
Fire-cured ------24

For casing/saucing,

Materials--------------------%
Diethylene glycol--------------2
Honey------------------------1
Pekmez *---------------------1
Sodium Nitrate---------------0.5
Sodium benzoate--------------1
Water------------------------ 6

*Pekmez is boiled grape juice. It's a medium viscous fluid not viscouse as honey resembles molasses. See the pic below.

1306462842932.jpg

Saucing mixture should be applied by spraying on the leaves. Blend should rest for a day to absorb the mixture.

For flavoring,

Materials-------------%
Maple syrup-----------0.15
Rum------------------0.10
Alcohol---------------0.65
Water----------------0.225

After spraying this mixture tobaccos should rest for a day again to absorb the fragrance.

Blend should be 14-15% humid for shredding.
yayladag-pipo-t%C3%BCt%C3%BCn%C3%BC.jpg

Here is some reviews about this product

DonH

That sounds like a good recipe. I'll have to get ahold of some of that grape syrup.

What is the Yayladag variety like by itself?

leverhead

Very interesting mix of materials, the maple syrup is a big surprise. It's a long way from New England and eastern Canada. The Pekmez sounds like something I want to look into, it might make an interesting flavor. Do they put the sauce on the entire blend or do they put on a particular variety/varieties? Kind of like putting the sauce on Burley for cigarettes.

istanbulin

Founding Member
DonH - You may take a look at this thread for Yayladağ strain.

leverhead - Turkish tobaccos in this blend has poor absorbtion capability, so they're probably putting all the sauce on entire blend.

BTW, you can find pekmez in some stores especially if you have a Turkish neighborhood. There are a lot of pekmez types like grape, carob, mulberry, etc.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps to replace the Pekmez, you could try cooking down some Mogen David or Manishevitz concord grape wine, sold inexpensively in most US grocery stores. It has an intense grape flavor as well as high sweetness, in addition to the alcohol. Maybe even using it right from the bottle for misting onto the leaf would be an interesting approach. Rum and maple could be dissolved into the wine. The wine flavor also goes particularly well with apple and walnut.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
There are some tannic compounds used in some casing recipes. According to some sources, tannins improve the taste of the tobaccos. So using a wine will also provide some tannic compounds that may help to obtain a better taste. Pekmez also contains some tannins from the grape's rinds and seeds.

leverhead

The store I got my Hooka and Tombac at caters to Mediterranean and Near Eastern customers, I may go back this weekend. Dibis is supposed to similar but made from dates. I could spend allot of money at their bakery though.

ChinaVoodoo

This is the most wanted commercial pipe tobacco in Turkey and generally can not be found consistently in markets. Manufacturer may have some problems about distribution.

This blend contains Turkish tobaccos and a fire-cured tobacco (strain unknown).

Blend contains,

Strain ----------%
Yayladag -------40
Bitlis -----------24
Izmir -----------12
Fire-cured ------24

For casing/saucing,

Materials--------------------%
Diethylene glycol--------------2
Honey------------------------1
Pekmez *---------------------1
Sodium Nitrate---------------0.5
Sodium benzoate--------------1
Water------------------------ 6

*Pekmez is boiled grape juice. It's a medium viscous fluid not viscouse as honey resembles molasses. See the pic below.

1306462842932.jpg

Saucing mixture should be applied by spraying on the leaves. Blend should rest for a day to absorb the mixture.

For flavoring,

Materials-------------%
Maple syrup-----------0.15
Rum------------------0.10
Alcohol---------------0.65
Water----------------0.225

After spraying this mixture tobaccos should rest for a day again to absorb the fragrance.

Blend should be 14-15% humid for shredding.
yayladag-pipo-t%C3%BCt%C3%BCn%C3%BC.jpg

Here is some reviews about this product
I just realized I think I have Pekmez at home. It's called grape molasses and my wife gets it at the Italian grocery store.

Status
Not open for further replies.