Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

hello from Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosun

Cigarette & pipe smoker. Recently retired and trying to get away from theses da** cigarettes. Been trying to stock up my 'cellar' before everything shuts down and I'm forced to pay $80.00 a pound for low quality stuff. That's assuming that there will be any stores still selling! Stumbled across this site. Have thought about in the past about growing my own but the curing process has always thrown me off. Too much room and time required. Wife insists on parking her car in the garage for example!! But if push comes to shove I'll be just like Hank Jr. "and we grow our own smoke too. A country boy can survive!"

darren1979

First Time Grower
Welcome to the forum Bosun, Growing your own is the way to go my friend. I do agree with you curing the baccy is the hardest part(for me anyway) but im sure once you've done it a few times your have it down to an art.

With the great guys and gals on this site im sure your make a great success of it, and think of the money your saving!

marksctm

Welcome Bosun,

Their a few Michigan growers here on the site.
It might help checking out the (Tobacco Growing FAQ) upper right of page. to get you started on your way to growing tobacco.
A great bunch of people here who will help in anyway they can.
While curing tobacco can be tricky at times, It's not that difficult, and by the time It's ready to pick, you'll have read enough to get you through your first grow and harvest.
And it will taste better than anything you ever bought from a store.

Good to have you.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Cigarette & pipe smoker. Recently retired and trying to get away from theses da** cigarettes. Been trying to stock up my 'cellar' before everything shuts down and I'm forced to pay $80.00 a pound for low quality stuff. That's assuming that there will be any stores still selling! Stumbled across this site. Have thought about in the past about growing my own but the curing process has always thrown me off. Too much room and time required. Wife insists on parking her car in the garage for example!! But if push comes to shove I'll be just like Hank Jr. "and we grow our own smoke too. A country boy can survive!"
Welcome to our merry band bosun! We have a couple of other Michiganders so if you decide to grow you'll have some local help. Curing really isn't a "mystic art". It just takes time and patience. There's a lot of us old farts on this site and we get on just fine. Both FmGrowit and BigBonner sell good leaf at reasonable prices (check the "tobacco for sale" section.) After the initial investment (~$300) for a cig maker and a shredder you'll be making cigs for about $1.50/carton. I think you'll find you smoke less when you make your own and there will be NO added chemicals.

Once again Welcome -- John

Boboro

Welcome to Ftt. Curr.in can be hard.The last of this years crop I cured in a spare room in the house. That makes it easyer. You will need a humitifire. That was poorly spellet.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Welcome to the forum, where's abouts re you located here in Michigan?

leverhead

Welcome! There is more to getting from seed to cigarette than meets the eye, but you can do it and have some fun and some new things to complain about. Buy some leaf, learn how to work with it, you'll be way ahead of the game. You're stock pile will be trade stock when the price goes up, you won't miss it. There's a recent thread about easier to cure and age tobacco varieties that would help you pick out what to grow first. Join in and have some fun.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
with good reading, and not being afraid to ask a question,

im sure the members here, will help/coach you in every step.

Ashauler

Founding Member
Welcome. It may seem intimidating, but like the others have said, help is as close as your keyboard.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Howdy bosun. (are you navy?) Pull up a chair and set awhile. Don't spit on the floor that's what the spitoons are for.

bosun

Thanks for the welcome all! Retired from the Coast Guard after 27 years. Finally got old enough for Social Security so I'm done.. Still haven't got my sleep habits down!!

bosun

Welcome to the forum, where's abouts re you located here in Michigan?

Just a little south of Port Huron, along the scenic St Claire River...right across from Chemical Valley in Canada! Where are you located?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Just a little south of Port Huron, along the scenic St Claire River...right across from Chemical Valley in Canada! Where are you located?

I'm over here in Lansing, I love your neck of the woods! I've delivered equipment there quite a few times.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thanks for the welcome all! Retired from the Coast Guard after 27 years. Finally got old enough for Social Security so I'm done.. Still haven't got my sleep habits down!!
Coat Guard huh? You ever run across a Capt. Robert Hicks? He's a good friend. -- John

SmokeStack

Welcome Bosun! It's nice to have another Michigander on board. I am in Oakland County - not too far away from you. This is my first year growing tobacco and I could not have done it without the help of this forum. You will find a good group of knowledgeable and friendly growers here at FTT. Feel free to PM me with any Michigan-related tobacco growing questions. My friend Michibaccy (above) is a good source and has had much more success. If you plan on growing next season, your first step will be deciding what type of tobacco to grow and how much to grow.

Welcome again and good luck!

Rayshields

Welcome! It is a whale of a learning experience and a lot of fun and more work than you expect...hang on and enjoy the ride...One piece of advice...don't start with 500 plants your first year.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
New a Larry Hicks. Too many people, moving to often, and now the half-zeimers is starting to kick in (g)..
Capn. Bob went up thru the hawse pipe during the Korean "police action" and eventually got to capt. before he retired. -- John

BarG

Founding Member
Cigarette & pipe smoker. Stumbled across this site. Have thought about in the past about growing my own but the curing process has always thrown me off. Wife insists on parking her car in the garage for example!! But if push comes to shove I'll be just like Hank Jr. "and we grow our own smoke too. A country boy can survive!"

A country boy can survive,:cool: which means youll talk your wife into parking outdoors?

Status
Not open for further replies.