Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Strains for Cuban cigars

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Today I went to a agricultural association. I met a Cuban tobacco expert there, Leodanis. He was working in the only cigar factory in Turkey which was located in Istanbul. The name of the company was TEKA. It was established in 2000 in partnership with Cuban CATEC company and closed in 2003. After the shutdown of the company he decided to stay here. He said that it's not allowed to export tobacco in Cuba but there was a privilage with that company in those days. As he said their production capability was app. 15 million cigars a year. Only Cuban grown tobaccos were used in that facility. There were machine rolled cigars, as well as hand rolled cigars. So there should be plenty of people came from Cuba for rolling cigars, I think. As he said, they produced 5 millions of Fonseca brand (Habanos SA.) cigars here in three years.
I asked him which strains of tobacco is generally used in a Cuban cigar. He gave the four major strains name; “Habana 92”, “Habana 2000”, “Criollo 98” and “Corojo 99”. He also said that “Criollo 98” and “Corojo 99” are the most valuable strains for Cuban cigars. But there's no clue which one is used as wrapper, filler or binder. I think “Habanas” and “Corojo 99” are wrappers and “Criollo 98” may be used as a binder or filler.

istanbulin

Founding Member
And I found this information,

Cuba and Cigars | Varieties

Types of tobacco plants cultivated in Cuba and their characteristics

The type of tobacco is defined according to the industrial use of the leaves elaborating raw material for pure, dark and light cigars and for tobacco-pipe. In this document we will make special reference to the leaves required for the elaboration of cigars, because with them the famous Habanos are elaborated.

A cigar is conformed by three types of leaves with different characteristics and therefore they complete very particular functions, this leaves receive the following names: wrapper, binder and fillers.

Tobacco for wrappers is cultivated under an awning that receives the name of cheese cloth with the purpose of reducing solar radiation between a 27 and 32 percent. A cover of good quality should complete the following requirements:

-Fine leaves of velvet texture.
-More than 40 cm of longitude and width bigger than 20 cm.
-Poor development of the nerviations.
-Leaves without mechanical damages and without being affected by plagues or illnesses.
-High contents of essential oils or resin that facilitate appropriate elasticity.
-Clear and uniform colors.
-Very good combustibility.

Now then, if a wrapper also has the requirements mentioned above and also has these others, then we are in presence of the best wrapper allover the world, the Cuban one.

- Appropriate contents of nicotine.
- Satisfactory flavor.
- Particular and pleasant aroma.
- Appropriate contents of nitrogenous substances.

The leaves for binder are obtained preferably from sun grown tobacco although certain leaves of shade grown tobacco that are not classified as wrappers are also used with this end. The leaves dedicated to this end should have the following requirements:

- Porous leaves that allow an appropriate circulation of the air.
- Leaves from the central or inferior area of the stem.
- Appropriate contents of nitrogenous substances.
- Appropriate aroma.
- Little development of the nerviations.
- Satisfactory elasticity.
- Very good combustibility.

The leaves for fillers have as fundamental function to give the intrinsic characteristics of a cigar, this type of tobacco is cultivated at full solar exposition because the first thing is that the leaves should be produced with high chemical composition. Next we relate the most excellent qualities in tobacco used for fillers in Pinar del Rio.

- Relatively high contents of nicotine.
- Strong and substantial flavor.
- Characteristic aroma of the area of production.
- Appropriate contents of essential oils and resins.
- Low fragility and satisfactory elasticity.
- Very good combustibility.

Origin and characteristics of the different varieties

`Habana 92 '

The variety `Habana 92 ' is product of a crossing between the variety `Corojo ' of Cuban origin and the Polish variety ' R x T ' from which it inherits the resistance to the Blue Mold (Peronospora tabacina Adam).

Cultivated in the sun it presents a height with inflorescence between 160 and 170 cm, with a variable number of useful leaves which according to the soil where be cultivated can have from 14 to 18 cm. The maximum width of these leaves can be between 20 and 25 cm, with an average longitude of 40-45 cm. The leaves are also characterized by their brilliant green color and to be very narrow in their base. The average potential of yield of this variety in the harvest is around 500 quintals per chivalries and in the sun, with only a good cutting of the leaves of the second cutting, in the brown soils can average about 800. It is resistant to the Blue Mold, the Blackish Paw (Phytophthora parasitica var. nicotianae), the Environmental and Tolerant Necrosis and the Orobanche Ramosa L.

`Habana 2000 '

This variety is derived from a crossing between the variety `Corojo ' and a non commercial variety of Cuban dark tobacco, the `Habana 2.1.1 ', from which is derived its resistance to the Gray Mold.
The ' Havana 2000 ' in the sun reaches an average height with inflorescence between 170 and 180 cm, with 14-16 leaves per plant.

Although in very rich soils it can develop up to 18 leaves per plant, the average distance between the leaves is of 7 cm and the length and width of the biggest leaves oscillate between 48-52 cm and 24-28 cm, respectively. It possesses an average potential of agricultural yield, of about 500 quintals when it is cultivated in the sun and it is harvested in leaves and of about 750 net quintals when it is cultivated in the sun and it is harvested cutting the stem with two leaves. Cultivated in the sun and harvested in leaves, it presents a high yield of binder. It is highly resistant to the Blackish Paw, the Blue Mold and moderately resistant to the environmental necrosis. It is recommended for cultivation under cloth.

`Criollo 98 '

It is originated from a crossing between the varieties ' Havana 92' and `Habana P.R'. Cultivated in the sun it produces from 14 to 16 useful leaves per plant and it reaches an average height with inflorescence from 150-160 cm, given this small height because it possesses an average distance between nodes of only 5 cm, aspect that distinguishes it from the rest of the Cuban varieties of dark tobacco. The biggest leaf presents an average longitude of 48-52 cm and a width of 24-28 cm. Its average potential yield cultivated in the sun and strung is of about 500 quintals per chivalries and in the sun en palo of 800 net quintals per chivalry. It is resistant to the Blue Mold, the Blackish Paw and the Tobacco Mosaic Virus and moderately resistant to the Environmental Necrosis. It is recommended for cultivation under cloth, in the sun being strung and in the sun en palo. Cultivated in the sun being strung it has high yield of binder.

`Corojo 99 '

It is sister of the variety `Criollo 98 ', that is to say, it was originated from the same crossing between the varieties ' Havana 92' and `Habana P.R'. Cultivated in the sun it presents a height with an average inflorescence, of 160-170 cm, with 14-16 useful leaves per plant. The dimensions of the biggest leaf are between 48 and 52 cm for the longitude and 24-28 cm for the width. The average distance between the leaves, is of about 7 cm. Its agricultural potential yield is of about 500 quintal per chivalries, with a high percent of binder when it is cultivated in the sun being strung. It is resistant to the Blue Mold, the Blackish Paw and the Tobacco Mosaic Virus and the Environmental Necrosis. It is recommended for cultivation under cloth, in the sun being strung.

Other varieties of dark tobacco cultivated in Cuba

`Habana Vuelta Arriba'

It was obtained from a crossing between the variety `Corojo ' and the Australian variety `GA-955 ', from which it inherited the resistance against the Blue Moss. It presents an average height with inflorescence between 180 and 190 cm, with a number of useful leaves per plant from 14 to 16 and a distance between them of 8 cm. The dimensions of the biggest leaves are of 43-48 cm (longitude) and of 28-30 cm (width). Its average potential of yield if cultivated in the sun (strung) is of some 550 quintals/chivalry and cultivated in the sun (en palo), about 900 net quintals per chivalry. It is resistant to the Blue Mold, the Blackish Paw, and the Tobacco Mosaic virus and moderately resistant to the Environmental Necrosis and the Rhizoctonia solani. It is recommended for the cultivation of sun grown (strung) and sun grown (en palo) tobacco

Variety `Sancti-Spfritus 96'

It is a result of the crossing between the variety "Pelo de Oro" and the Polish variety "R x T", from which it inherits its resistance against the Blue Moss. It presents an average height with inflorescence of 145-155 cm, with 12-14 useful leaves per plant and a distance between nodes of 8 cm. Its average potential of yield is of about 800 net quintals per chivalry, due to its high yield in capaduras. It is resistant to the Blue Mold, the Blackish Paw and the Environmental Necrosis. It is recommended for cultivation in the sun (en palo).

Source: http://www.cuba-junky.com/cuba/cigar-varieties.htm

Knucklehead

Founding Member
johnlee-- I got some seed from them about a month ago, Burley and Va. Gold. I think they're out of the UK but say their seed are Tennessee grown. Shipping was fast and the price wasn't bad. I can't get in touch with them to save my life though. I ordered more seed from them last week and had a problem with Paypal. My order got put through twice. The only contact info is e-mail and the mail box must be full because I can't get my e-mail through to cancel the duplicate order. If anyone needs some Black Mammoth, Havana 142, Turkish Izmir or Conn. Broadleaf let me know, it's looking like I'm going to have extra. With the doubled order I'll be getting 400 seeds of each variety. 200 seeds for $6.95 is their price. Shipping is less than $2.00
If someone has their phone number let me know. I really need to make sure they got my order. I didn't get a confirmation e-mail from them or Paypal and Paypal always sends one. The charges do show up on my Paypal account but the whole transaction seemed weird though nothing to do with TheTobaccoSeedCo. Seemed the problem was with paypal.

Honestly though I love Istanbulins posts. The only man to come as close to providing this type of in depth knowledge would be Deluxestogie. The links were excellent. I usually nominate his posts for extra consideration. good stuff.

Last edited:

skychaser

Paul, I've never done business with these folks. Are they reliable? -- John

Yup. Very reliable. I know him well. Jack (the owner) was one the first on-line sellers of tobacco seed and has been doing it since the late 90's. All he sells is tobacco seed. A lot of his seed comes from sources here in the US and some comes from Profogen in Brazil. And he grows a little himself. He is Dons' co-star in the video link Chris posted.

AlabamaKnucklehead I will pm you another e-mail address where you can contact him.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yup. Very reliable. I know him well. Jack (the owner) was one the first on-line sellers of tobacco seed and has been doing it since the late 90's. All he sells is tobacco seed. A lot of his seed comes from sources here in the US and some comes from Profogen in Brazil. And he grows a little himself. He is Dons' co-star in the video link Chris posted.

AlabamaKnucklehead I will pm you another e-mail address where you can contact him.

Thank you kindly, sir. (now with a drunken slurred bawl) ----- I LOVE YOU, MAN.

How do you think this Habana 2000 will compare to Havana 142? And I've never heard of Havana 92. Have you Bob?

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Istanbulin,
Excellent information on Havana cigar tobaccos. This thread has strayed off course, but onto other useful information regarding possible sources for Havana seed.

I think it's worth recognizing that the tobaccos grown in Cuba have changed repeatedly over the past half century, usually in response to new tobacco pests. (Let's cross some of our precious Havana with Polish tobacco, and see what we get!)

Bob

ne3go

I think that taste of a havana cigar, is a combination of seed,weather,soil and most significant: treatment.
Assuming that someone could find the seeds that cubans use, and grow them in his soil, its unlikely to succed making exactly same taste.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I think that taste of a havana cigar, is a combination of seed,weather,soil and most significant: treatment.
Assuming that someone could find the seeds that cubans use, and grow them in his soil, its unlikely to succed making exactly same taste.

You're absolutely right but give a chance to experience the excitement. It won't taste the same but it may taste good.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Istanbulin this is truly a great post. I saw two of those strains on an announcement by Don that he will soon have some Criolo 98 Maduro and some Corojo Maduro wrapper leaf in stock in a couple of weeks. I would like to give it a try. If I get some would you care for a sample?
Also I want to apologize for getting off topic earlier on your thread, I meant no disrespect. You are an asset to this forum and I should have shown you more courtesy. I am sorry.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Thanks guys, I'm just trying to do my best. If I know or learn something, it's a must to share with you folks for me :)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I found this rather interesting too. Back in the '90's I followed the developement and release of Habano 2000. I thought that it turned out to be a dud and was surprised to see it still in production. It's interesting that there are those that say it was bred in Nicuagra while others say it was invented in Cuba.

Status
Not open for further replies.