Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My hunting buddy's deer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My little hunting buddy got a nice deer yesterday evening. Soon to be doing the Backstrap Boogie. :eek: He's my best friends son and I've been taking him hunting and fishing since he was about 10 years old. Now he's teaching the old dog some new tricks! Frickin' little asshole.

IMG_0229.jpg

BigBonner

Founding Member
Thats a good buck .
Is that a 7mm mag ruger ?
I have one that my son uses to hunt with and now I can't get it back . I think I may just have to kick his butt and take it away from him .
The 7mm was my favorite gun to hunt with . I now use a 30-06 .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
quote[Interesting story on the gun. It's a Remington 700 in 300 win mag that he traded his neighbors horse for. Can you believe the luck of this guy? His neighbor couldn't find anybody to buy his horse so he told my buddy just to give it away to somebody. My buddy traded it to one of his buddies for the rifle. He's always falling into stuff like that. Drives me crazy.]quote

I have a savage 300 winn mag, I have been looking into to the remington 300. I just today picked uf some 165 grain hornady 300 winn mag to compare with the remington I have been using. You have some really nice deer in Alabama, It's a shame to shoot em. But we all need meat on the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

marksctm

When I started bow hunting back in the mid 70s, there were no dear around for miles.
I had to drive a 100 miles or more just to try and hunt, and when you did get one, they could taste quite gamey from wild food sources.
Now their every where and feeding on good farm grown grains and clovers, around here, and to me anyway, taste better than some, if not most beef.
I'm sure you could harvest one that could have a strong game taste, but It's been many many moons since I have.
But then again I'm older, and tastes have changed, and I could eat the north end out of a south bound skunk.
It sure is good hunting now and days.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
When I started bow hunting back in the mid 70s, there were no dear around for miles.
I had to drive a 100 miles or more just to try and hunt, and when you did get one, they could taste quite gamey from wild food sources.
Now their every where and feeding on good farm grown grains and clovers, around here, and to me anyway, taste better than some, if not most beef.
I'm sure you could harvest one that could have a strong game taste, but It's been many many moons since I have.
But then again I'm older, and tastes have changed, and I could eat the north end out of a south of a south bound skunk.

We must be about the same age. We had very few deer around here when I started hunting but I didn't have the option of hunting somewhere else. I just hunted the family farm every year and would get a deer about every three years. My grandmother would soak some meat in water with a tiny bit of vinegar to remove the wild taste and it worked very well. Just thinking of her tenderloin with biscuits and gravy has the saliva running down my shirt front!

marksctm

We must be about the same age. We had very few deer around here when I started hunting but I didn't have the option of hunting somewhere else. I just hunted the family farm every year and would get a deer about every three years. My grandmother would soak some meat in water with a tiny bit of vinegar to remove the wild taste and it worked very well. Just thinking of her tenderloin with biscuits and gravy has the saliva running down my shirt front!

Damn brother don't start talking biscuits and gravy, been drinking and watching football and now youl maken mi mouf wata.
And we are the same age from what I read.

Boboro

But then again I'm older, and tastes have changed, and I could eat the north end out of a south of a south bound skunk.
The deer here are the same. No wild taste. And the pop. is out of control We Just a cough a way from a bad disease problem. But game and fish dont do shit. But let me stagger down the beach AND BAMM jail.The onley place I feel safe is in my yard. I'll fight for that.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Guess what I had for supper ?
Brown beans and deer tenderloin . It was goooood .

I like to let my deer hang for about four days if the weather is cool . This takes out the game taste . Beef is hung to age for 2 day for every 100 pounds of hanging weight .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Guess what I had for supper ?
Brown beans and deer tenderloin . It was goooood .

I like to let my deer hang for about four days if the weather is cool . This takes out the game taste . Beef is hung to age for 2 day for every 100 pounds of hanging weight .

I bet the poor old dogs didn't have any leftovers tonight did they?
You need to check out boboro's deer cooler. I need to build one like it. My buddy used to have an egg farm and we'd hang our deer in the egg cooler. It does make a big difference. The meat seems to be more tender too. No more egg cooler now though. I need to do like Boboro and build a cooler.

BarG

Founding Member
Our weather is generaly to warm to leave hanging more than a day or so , I have to quarter it and ice it down for a few days before processing. I have a Savage 300 winn mag that eats scopes for breakfast, I would realy like to get a remington 700 in 300.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Savages are easy to rebarrel if you want to go to 7 mag or 264 win mag. They may be easier on scopes. The Savages have that lock nut on the barrel. Just screw the new barrel down till it hits the GO headspace gauge and lock down the barrel with the lock nut. Double check with the NO GO gauge and you're good to go.

You can also get used Leupolds on ebay. Leupolds have that transferrable lifetime warranty. No need for a receipt. That's what I do and save $100.00 to $150.00 per scope. So far all were good, but if you get a lemon you can send it back to Leupold and they'll fix or replace for free.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
You need to check out boboro's deer cooler. I need to build one like it. My buddy used to have an egg farm and we'd hang our deer in the egg cooler. It does make a big difference. The meat seems to be more tender too. No more egg cooler now though. I need to do like Boboro and build a cooler.
You can make a pretty good cooler out of an old AC unit and some plywood. It holds the temp down about 20/25°F. My brother used three sheets of plywood to make a three sided box and a tarp for the top and door. Throw it up quick, knock it down faster and hides the game from prying eyes.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's like Boboro's but he enclosed all four sides, put a door in it and a roof. A/C unit for cooling.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Redfield is leopolds more affordable brand that they make right here in the USA with the same lifetime warranty. I buy em to save a buck and am happy with the quality

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Redfield is leopolds more affordable brand that they make right here in the USA with the same lifetime warranty. I buy em to save a buck and am happy with the quality

Good point. And everytime Leupold upgrades their upper models the old technology is passed down the line. This years VX-2 is the same as last years VX-III. And on down to VX-1 (last years VX II) and Redfield.

BarG

Founding Member

My Simmons are lifetime gaurantee also. but even when I upgraded it still went out on me. I was leary this year after one kill and passed on the second best buck I have ever seen, I'm glad I did because I can't stand missing or just wounding and the scope had just started shooting 8" off and then zeroed and bouncing 8" the other way I found after coming home and setting a target at 100 yds.. I keep a standby scope but those trophy bucks are few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.