Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What's for Shisha

Status
Not open for further replies.

leverhead

In another thread istanbulin thought highly of Carob Molasses and Tombac. I agree, the combination makes a very smooth smoke. Much smoother than the Steens cane syrup I have been using. This isn't quite apples and apples, there's no fruit in this mix, that will have to wait for another night. Either way this mix seems to be more resistant to overheating. This is what went into the bowl tonight.

The Tombac was very flexible, easy to strip yet not so moist as to mold. Cut into 3/16-1/4 square flakes - 2 parts
Carob Molasses - 2 parts
Lemon juice - 1 part

mix well, cover and let set for a few hours. I refrigerate what I don't smoke.

I think if I were to add fruit to this, I'd go for dried Cherries.

notcrack

Where did you pick up to Tombac Lever?? I've been looking for a source for a little while as I think it would be a good one to stock along side the young Canadian Flue Cured (which is perfect for shisha). If you'd like some young Canadian Flue I have kilos sat right next to me and I'm more than happy to ship some over to you.

Kind Regards

leverhead

I got it at a Mediterranean/ Near Eastern market here in Houston. London should be a big enough city to find a market like it, or you might be able to mail order it. I posted a picture of the package ($ 20 US) over in the thread "What are some naturally flavorful hookah tobacco varities?".

I appreciate the offer on the Canadian Flue-Cured, I've got enough flue-cured to last well past next season.

leverhead

For grins and giggles, I mixed up my leftovers from previous experiments and added some off the shelf dried mint flakes. A roughly equal volume of dried mint to that of Shisha compressed, I also added enough water to bring it back to an easy to fluff up consistency. If you like mint, it's a very effective flavoring material. It survives the heat and water better than most flavors.

Later I'll try out last nights mix with dried Cherries added to it.

leverhead

I tried the dried cherries, I should have eaten them. I can say, with or without fruit, Carob Molasses does smooth out the smoke compared to Cane Syrup. The nagging question in my mind is, why do fig and mint flavors get to my taste buds and everything else I've tried so far doesn't? The fig still has seeds in it (oils?), mint (?). It was still a pleasant smoke, nothing lost but a snack.

leverhead

I guess even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while! I have my first good flavored Shisha, I'm going to call it Peppermint Patty. It leads me to believe that useable flavors shouldn't be very soluble in water (Duh). I have a semi independent second opinion give it a thumbs up, I made her dinner. Similar preparation to my first post.

10g Tombac
10g Carob Molasses
5g Lemon Juice
1g Unsweetened Dark Baking Chocolate, shaved very fine
5 Drops Peppermint extract, +/- to taste

Mix Chocolate and liquids well, then add the Tombac and knead well, cover and let set for a few hours. The proportion of flavors changes a little bit with the temperature, overall I'm pleased with this one.

istanbulin

Founding Member
leverhead, did you draw inspiration from the musics for this recipe :D Just a suggestion, try this recipe using ground cinnamon instead of peppermint.

Last edited:

leverhead

The music is very nice! Perfect for daydreaming, you might think of starting a thread on that subject. Cinnamon has been on my list of things to try, it might be pretty potent, so I'll start at 1/2g and see how it goes. What the Shisha smells like before and what it tastes like while "smoking" can be very different, proportions are different.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I like cinnamon taste in nargile but some people can't manage with its intense hot aromatic taste. Cinnamon flavored tobaccos are generally mixed with apple flavored tobaccos in nargile here for reducing its intensity.

leverhead

I've been trying to work with fruit in shisha and haven't been successful getting the apple (or anything else other than fig) flavor to get to the mouth piece. I may try apple juice or cider instead of water. It's late here, so I'm smoking the Carob, Chocolate, Cinnamon Shisha over plane water. I used ground Cinnamon, I only used 1/2g instead of the 5 drops of Peppermint extract. I'm finding it to be "spicier" but not hot, well maybe a little harsh towards the end of the bowl. I might have used a little too much heat, maybe a little fruit in it would tame that.

leverhead

My first trial with Cinnamon I think I over did the amount! I cut it back to 1/10g replacing the Peppermint extract in the 12-09-2012 recipe. It would still be difficult to imagine anything overpowering it's flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.