Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Removing Suckers with a Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In the past, I've usually removed suckers with my fingers, just snapping them off. If I discovered one too big to snap easily, I cut it off with a knife.

This year, I made an effort to remove suckers as early as possible, with the thought that a sucker is not only a useless set of leaves diverting resources, but it is consuming enough to create those new leaves. The limit on how small they could be and still be manually removed seemed to be the thickness and clumsiness of my fingers in reaching between the stalk and the parent leaf. And some varieties are a really tight squeeze. Pennsylvania Red, for example, puts out leaves at a small angle to the stalk, and with a recurving central vein--like a bokchoy.

The method I settled on was to surgically remove the sucker with a knife. I first used my trusty Schrade "Uncle Henry" peanut, which I've carried in my pocket for almost 20 years. Unfortunately, the carbon steel blade turned black in the tobacco sap and was difficult to clean. So I switched to a stainless bladed knife. (If the nickel-silver bolsters get sap on them, they immediately blacken.)

Since I was working with very small suckers near the top of the plant, the tenderness of the stalk was the limiting factor.

The blade edge needs to have some convexity to it, rather than a perfectly straight edge. I carefully place the blade between the stalk and the sucker base--edge down, then simply rotate the handle so that the edge rotates toward the leaf stem. There is a distinct feel like cutting a pat of butter, when the sucker is severed.

The spine of the blade presses against the stalk, so the stalk must be mature enough to endure this. The blade is never drawn in a cutting motion--just rotated. I like to think of it as similar to eye surgery. All the motion of the blade is controlled with my fingertips. Then the severed sucker is lifted away and discarded.

Garden_20110716B_14_Suckering_Sucker_300.jpg

The target sucker.

Garden_20110716B_15_Suckering_KnifePlaced_300.jpg

Knife is placed between the stalk and the sucker.

Garden_20110716B_16_Suckering_KnifeRotated_300.jpg

Knife blade is rotated toward the stem of the parent leaf. Notice that I'm holding the knife with only my fingertips.

With a good, clean rotation, the entire growth bud is excised. It scars over within minutes. On most of them, a secondary sucker does not later appear.

My impression is that, overall, I have needed to tend to suckers less with the knife method, than with breaking them off. The procedure is delicate, so I probably would not trust a paid worker to use the method with sufficient care.

If a knife is used too high up on the plant, against very small parent leaves, it will damage the immature leaf stem.

Bob

Daniel

Banned
The first few suckers I ever came across I removed in this way. Newcomer lack of patience more than anything. I also noticed the sucker did not tend to return as readily as hand broken suckers where later on. I have also used a pair of needle nose pliers to reach down between leaf and stem and grab hold of the tiny suckers. I have been concerned about leaving a mutilated sucker that the plant then wastes energy trying to keep alive anyway though. Most of my plants have been very determined to sucker this year. Not sure that is common or just the plague for this year.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
that black you mentioned might be similar to cold blue treatment. i patina my carbon blades using a potato so they wont rust, i'll see if tobacco juice make a better finish, thanks:)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
So, maybe I shouldn't have cleaned my old "Uncle Henry" blade. Interesting. It's pretty ugly, though, on the nickel-silver bolsters.

What is the method used with a potato on carbon steel?

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
stick a knife in the potato, leave in frig rinse, repeat for a few days. it develops a patina similar to cold blue, but not toxic like those chems so can be used on food.

Status
Not open for further replies.