Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Cigarette casing recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Michibacy View Post
    Don, good catch on that, the casing I had devised back then was quite strong and really changed the tobacco flavor. If you're wanting a good casing to make your cigarettes actually taste like cigarettes () get WLT's casing.

The stuff I make and sell is more for pipe tobacco.
    I've been using the WLT casing for flue cured and like it fine. Would like a bigger bottle, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontiertob View Post
    please write about the ratio of the tobacco that this recipe is for how much tobacco i mean quantity of tobacco.
    The blend is stated in percentages. It will work with any quantity of tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by CT Tobaccoman View Post
    ...antifreeze (propylene glycol)
    Antifreeze is ethylene glycol, which is poisonous.

Propylene glycol is USDA approved as a food additive, and is often used as the solvent for water-based food flavorings. Propylene glycol also acts as a humectant, and has modest anti-fungal properties.

Bob

Bob,

Glad to hear that. Interestingly, I "learned" that "antifreeze" referred to a propylene glycol was added to cigarettes on a virulently anti smoking web page. The prohibitionists are not above disinformation, apparently.

CT

Quote Originally Posted by Michibacy View Post
    I did some research into easy replacements for certain items, recipe scaling down, and reasons for use. If you see an error please discuss it.

Item Measurement Replacement For Reason for replacement Reason for use
    Cocoa power 13.4 tablespoons Cocoa and chocolate Easier over all process Add very light flavor, reduce harshness
    licorice extract 1 teaspoon Licorice Granules Easier to obtain Add flavor, reduce ammonia flavor
    honey 5 tablespoons Invert Syrup Easier to obtain preserves,flavors, helps deliver nicotine
    Corn syrup 10 tablespoons preserves
    Glycerine USP 10 tablespoons preserves, seems to aid in burning
    Table Salt 1/2 teaspoon Sodium Benzoate Possible Carcinogen (FDA) preserves
    Purified Water 15 tablespoons “water” Clear of hard water chemical helps spread mixture onto leaf
    I am new to this forum, so hello all.

I haven't read the whole thread but when I saw table salt in the recipe I wanted to warn readers that putting table salt in something that will burn is not a good idea because it is very likely to cause dioxin formation -which is a really nasty toxin- and it won't do much in the way of preserving at such low amounts. You can experiment with propylene glycol; it has antimicrobial properties equivalent to ethyl alcohol and should be safe in such a scenario, as far as I know.

Welcome to the forum, Niko. [Feel free to tell us about yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.]

Your comment about combusting salty mixtures of organics is well noted.

Salt is commonly used in chew and snus recipes. I'm not aware of any casing recipes for smoking tobacco that use NaCl. I'm not sure where Michibacy found that convenient "substitution."

Bob

I'd be interested to know how other forum members, who have used a prepared casing on their tobacco, actually applied it.
    In my first 'experiment' I misted my concoction over the shredded tobacco that I had spread out thinly in large trays. I made it pretty damp and then just left it in my fermenter to dry it down again to about 18% moisture.
    I was really quite pleased with the perceived enhancement but now that I am about to case another shredded kilogram I am wondering if there is a better method that someone has discovered.
    For example, I wondered if the tobacco was tied in a muslin bag, or similar, and totally immersed in the liquid it might give a better overall penetration of the liquid - but some of the finer stuff might become unrecoverable. I also wondered if it might be better to apply the casing to the whole leaf (and then drying) before putting it through the shredder.
    I'd be grateful to hear any comments.
    Thanks.
    Time flies like an arrow. Horse flies like a ripe tobacco leaf.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345