Cigarette casing recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
From villiger1888.com

Blending and Conditioning
When we receive the leaf tobacco it is very dry and fragile. In order to make the tobacco supple enough for handling the tobacco is moistened in rotating cylinders where the tobacco is slowly and gently carried through water and steam. Before conditioning the individual tobacco grades are weighed out according to Peter Stokkebye's own recipes. Burley tobacco undergoes a special process called casing before it is mixed with the Virginia and Oriental tobaccos. The casing is made of liquorice, cocoa, maple syrup and chocolate; these substances are boiled in water and then added to the tobacco.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
sorry to bring back an old thread but I find the recipe quite interesting (maybe because it's from a Big Tobacco company). Have you tried this recipe at all Don?

I may consider making this recipe. I have done a little bit of cross checking, seeing what each item would do for the smoking experience and made a scaled down recipe. I haven't tried it yet but may do so soon just to see how it turned out.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I did some research into easy replacements for certain items, recipe scaling down, and reasons for use. If you see an error please discuss it.

ItemMeasurementReplacement ForReason for replacementReason for use
Cocoa power13.4 tablespoonsCocoa and chocolate Easier over all processAdd very light flavor, reduce harshness
licorice extract1 teaspoonLicorice GranulesEasier to obtainAdd flavor, reduce ammonia flavor
honey5 tablespoonsInvert SyrupEasier to obtainpreserves,flavors, helps deliver nicotine
Corn syrup10 tablespoonspreserves
Glycerine USP10 tablespoonspreserves, seems to aid in burning
Table Salt1/2 teaspoonSodium BenzoatePossible Carcinogen (FDA)preserves
Purified Water15 tablespoons“water”Clear of hard water chemicalhelps spread mixture onto leaf

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
on second thought this is a lot like Don's Hershey's recipe, mind you my recipe above is just a test, looking at it that 13.4 tablespoons seems a lot

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Michibacy, Here's some food for thought.

Honey is made up of Fructose and Glucose. Depending on the floral source the ratios will vary.
Corn Syrup is fructose
Invert Syrup is sucrose that has been chemically or enzymatically broken down into glucose and fructose

All three above the above are basically the same thing so you could probably just eliminate the fructose for instance and just add a little more honey.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'm not absolutely certain but I remember from somewhere that glycerin is a humectent that is "keeps the tobacco moist longer". I don't remember it as a preservative.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm not absolutely certain but I remember from somewhere that glycerin is a humectent that is "keeps the tobacco moist longer". I don't remember it as a preservative.

John
I have used glycerine as a preservative in flowers before. I dry the flowers then soak them in glycerine then hang dry. it seems to keep scent and color longer. I can see where it eoukd be used in cigarette tobacco though, if it would keep the proper humidity longer in the tobbaco in the cigarette.

Jitter thats a good idea on the honey. worth a try, less work in the long run!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower

John

Did some research and Glycerine is counted as a humectent as well as a preservative, could catch on that John. I guess our assumptions were both correct!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i tried a casing with vermouth because i was curious. i still think tobacco flavored tobacco is tops, but maybe thats an idea? i wont try it again though, but thats me.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
My sweet tooth is too big to be happy with only tobacco flavor. I do love it, but sometimes I need some sweet stuff!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I just sampled my first batch of mead here a few days ago. Been aging since January 22nd 2012, it really isn't too bad! Made some Cyser as well

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
hah! i make mead too! small world.

wonder how that would case a tobacco? you guys try that yet?

Steve2md

I've soaked dry leaves in a pecan honey mead to bring them up to case for a cigar. It turned out amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.