Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help me make a "peace pipe" style pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Always been interested in native american peace pipes, from my trips out to south dakota to visiting local tribes here in central Michigan (even have some folks in our family).

A project I would like to work on over the winter is making a small (perhaps 12-18 inch) peace pipe out of wood. I have a few questions if any of you can help.

1. Which materials should I use? (I prefer wood considering it's ease of working with)
  2. how should I burrow out the stem?
  3. how should I burrow out the bowl?
  4. is there any treatment to the wood that is necessary?
  5. any leads on where I can acquire the needed materials?

Thanks!

Michibacy

Matty

I made one YEARS ago, it was about 30" long. Non traditional design but it worked out well. I started with two thin strips of maple, 3/4" X 1/8" X 30", approximately. I set up a drill press to router a groove down the middle of each piece, glued the halves together and shaped the resulting "stem" a bit. I made the bowl out of black cherry or apple wood (I don't remember) and shaped it to look like a traditional clay bowl. To fit the stem I drilled two holes to make a slot shaped opening that fit the stem. Someone must have liked it a lot cause it got stolen lol.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
There are some stems for sale on ebay and some pipes that may help you in the design stage. Also some artifact bowls.

Aaron

I've never looked into making a peace pipe. I'll have to check into that a bit to see if I can get any ideas for you. I think if there are peace pipe kits out there that may be the way to go, at least for your first one. Also, for some inspiration, here's a link to a guys site who makes some incredible peace pipes. http://www.dmpipes.com They're not really what I would call a Native American style, but they are amazing.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Thanks Bob, I'll take a look into Googling it, and thanks Aaron, he sure does make some awesome pipes, not quite "native american" but definitely cool looking. More intricate than I could even draw

leverhead

The curved stem "Wizard" look fine to me. I think the bowl size is geared more toward the nicotine free smoking materials.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you'll have to document the build, i'd like to see one being made,

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Haha tobacco and that's it, no room for the iffy tobacco in my neck of the woods anymore.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Will do chicken! I'm considering carving in initials into it signifying important people in my life (hell maybe even chisel in an FTT)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Cutlery Corner is offering a tomahawk peacepipe for $17.50

z_CCN-WB441.jpg

http://www.cutlerycorner.net/productdetail.aspx?itemnumber=CCN-WB441

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.