Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Northern Xanthi, the growing area of Xanthi Yaka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I have two Xanthi Yaka plants here. You Guys put some great light on what to expect. I never grew it till now. Going with the 10% on blend when it is done. Thanks for the post.

CT Tobaccoman

Looks like really nice tobacco. so many varieties of oriental tobacco--which do you think is best to blend in cigarettes?

BTW, I have always been fascinated by Istanbul, Constantinople. To think of the age of that city, and the continuous high urban civilization that has gone on there for nearly 2,000 years just blows my mind. It is a one of a kind city. It was capital of the world for a thousand years. If there is one place that I want to see before I die it is Istanbul. I feel like I lived there in a former lifetime--maybe I was one of those emperors that were blinded and deposed, lol. I've read countless books about its history and its great art and buildings, Christian and Muslim. Even now, it seems it should be the center of the world. I can't think of a more interesting place.

And I think that"Stamboul" is the Turkish word for "city." Is that right? That is so cool, that it is simply named "The City."

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Looks like really nice tobacco. so many varieties of oriental tobacco--which do you think is best to blend in cigarettes?

Izmir-Ozbas is probably the most popular. Something like 70% of Turkey's Izmir-Ozbas production goes to American cigarettes. Don's Prilep is also wonderful. Lately I've been using both in my cigarette blend.

istanbulin

Founding Member

BTW, I have always been fascinated by Istanbul, Constantinople. To think of the age of that city, and the continuous high urban civilization that has gone on there for nearly 2,000 years just blows my mind. It is a one of a kind city. It was capital of the world for a thousand years. If there is one place that I want to see before I die it is Istanbul. I feel like I lived there in a former lifetime--maybe I was one of those emperors that were blinded and deposed, lol. I've read countless books about its history and its great art and buildings, Christian and Muslim. Even now, it seems it should be the center of the world. I can't think of a more interesting place.

And I think that"Stamboul" is the Turkish word for "city." Is that right? That is so cool, that it is simply named "The City."

Knucklehead is right. İzmir is the most favorite tobacco in American blends. But it's up to you, you may like others too.

"Stamboul" is the Russian (or Slavic) transliteration of İstanbul (originally "Стамбул"). İstanbul is İstanbul in Turkish and etymologically comes from Proto-Turkic name of İstanbul, "Astanbolıq".

istanbulin

Founding Member
A documentary about tobacco growers in Xanthi area. It's generally focused on their hard life. The video/image quality seems low but I believe this video is not very old.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting video. You can't help but feel exhausted watching the grower start his water pump in the creek valley, then climb ~400 feet of elevation--in sandals--to reach his plot of tobacco.

Thanks for posting it.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe their underlying problems are:
  • legal limit of the amount (kilograms) they can grow
  • restriction on the variety they may grow
  • low compensation per kilo
  • uncertainty as to whether the buyer will even purchase what they grow
  • economic pressure to reduce family size (fewer hands per hectare)
Looks like the writing is on the wall. Growing superb basma tobacco on the slopes and hills of Xanthi sounds far more romantic than the reality of it.

Bob

TheOtherOne

The low combustibility of my Xanthi Yaka simply requires that it be blended. (My Izmir Ozbas burned adequately.) And yes, I air cure my Turkish varieties. The Xanthi Yaka will also (eventually) be kilned, which makes it thinner and somewhat oily. It retains its very light brown color. After that, I allow it to age in a humidor for at least a year. I use it almost exclusively as a ~10-20% component in pipe tobacco. The Xanthi aroma is noticeable at only 10%.

Bob

EDIT: You have a good eye, istanbulin!

If I recall correctly, DS's air cured Xanti made the most wonderful cigarillo wrapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.