Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hookah Charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.

leverhead

When I bought my Hookah I also bought some 1" X 1" X 1/2" thick charcoal to use with it.

Square.jpg

It was cheap and kind of a PIA to light, messy too.

Today I bought some "instant light" discs, $ 7.50 / 100 pcs. They're well pressed so they are far less mess and they ARE easy to light, a flame on a few places around the top and in less than 10 min. it's going well. I think they are spayed with an oxidizer because they sparkle across the surface as it gets going. They're domed on the bottom and dished on the top. For me, they are the way to go.

Disc Box.JPGDiscs.JPGDisc Lit.JPG

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Lever, I only use Starlight. To light them I turn on the electric stove top, throw one on top and wait until she's glowing then start up the hookah. I've tried a few other brands (can't remember the names) and wasn't nearly as pleased as I was with the starlight.

Boboro

I use Coco nara 1/2" by 1"cubes and coals from the wood heater. The cubes take a bout 10 mins. on a bed of coals in the heater.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I've never used a quick ignitable coal, I prefer natural burning coals. My favorite is hazelnut shell coal, its ember never burn out easily and it produce very low amount of ash. The traditional one is oak wood coal. Others are olive pit coal and lemon wood coal. I also tried the coconut shell coal but it's burning very non-uniform. Olive pit coal is quick ignitable on a flame (not same as starlight, look like burning a barbeque coal) but burn out very easily and produce large amount of ash. Lemon wood coal is my second favorite after hazelnut, it burns slowly and ideal for a smoother smoke. Your tobacco will never ignite with this coal. The coal (any) directly affects the taste of the smoke.

leverhead

In my daily travels there are several Lemon trees, I have Oaks in my yard and Ive heard they're growing Olives out near Austin. I'll have to look into Hazelnuts. I've made charcoal for another interest of mine, it's not difficult. Is the Hazelnut charcoal (or others) left in it's natural shape or is it ground up and reformed (Briquettes) to shapes?

Thank you for the tip! It seems every part of of a Hookah is a variable. At the rate I'm going, this cold take many years to sort out.

istanbulin

Founding Member
...Is the Hazelnut charcoal (or others) left in it's natural shape or is it ground up and reformed (Briquettes) to shapes?...

Hazelnut charcoals are generally in its natural shape. Also it's very difficult to find them in stores, I bought mines from a traditional Black Sea bakery. They're firing the oven only with the hazelnut shells. Olive pit charcoal is generally pressed like a little triangular prism. Oak charcoal is left natural (always). I saw some pressed Lemon charcoals but mines were in natural shape. I've no experience abot charcoal making but I think, they're pressing the remaining charcoal particles for more profit ?

PlantTeacher

Istanbulin: I've used the quicklight stuff as well as coconut shell which is much like as you describe the hazelnut. I do think it's better than the quicklight because it lasts longer but what you said has me thinking about other possibilities. Think I'll look into that. After I finish what I have.

Michibacy: Just noticed your quote. I'm of the same mind.

Aaron

You guys got me thinking. I have no experience with hookah, but if you can use oak charcoal for it I can make some for someone to try. I built myself a TLUD/RETORT gasifier out of 55 gallon drums for making my own charcoal. If the stuff turned out ok for using with a hookah I could easily downsize the plans for the burner to use gallon size paint cans. Then maybe you guys could make your own coals; if you wanted to mess with it.

leverhead

I think any well charred coal would work. I've got some lemon wood charcoal that is pretty dense, it works better/easier than the coconut husk charcoal. I haven't tried hazel nut husk charcoal, istanbulin said he likes that one the best.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
You guys got me thinking. I have no experience with hookah, but if you can use oak charcoal for it I can make some for someone to try. I built myself a TLUD/RETORT gasifier out of 55 gallon drums for making my own charcoal. If the stuff turned out ok for using with a hookah I could easily downsize the plans for the burner to use gallon size paint cans. Then maybe you guys could make your own coals; if you wanted to mess with it.

That is a very similar set up to how I make ash for cheese making. Oak works for hookah in the sense that if you can get it lit it wont kill you- the hard part is getting it lit and getting it to stay lit (IME). I think because of the density of the wood and the knots. A lighter wood would probably be preferable.
Now, this is purely speculation but an idea I had a while back would be to make charcoal as you normally would- then pulverize the heck out of it. Mix it in some kind of mixer with some water, then press it into a brick and let it dry really well. Never tried it since I quit smoking hookah but always wanted to.
Hookah is great- I love smoking shisha. The problem is all the damned CO generated by the charcoal. I decided to quit until I could get something like an electric charcoal or something to reduce the amount of CO exposure.

BarG

Founding Member
I've been burning a lot of hickory and piling the ash on top after a big fire and raking the charcoal out and saving for barbques. It may be too much for a hookah but easy to make as long as you have a fair amount to burn.

Boboro

That is a very similar set up to how I make ash for cheese making. Oak works for hookah in the sense that if you can get it lit it wont kill you- the hard part is getting it lit and getting it to stay lit (IME). I think because of the density of the wood and the knots. A lighter wood would probably be preferable.
Now, this is purely speculation but an idea I had a while back would be to make charcoal as you normally would- then pulverize the heck out of it. Mix it in some kind of mixer with some water, then press it into a brick and let it dry really well. Never tried it since I quit smoking hookah but always wanted to.
Hookah is great- I love smoking shisha. The problem is all the damned CO generated by the charcoal. I decided to quit until I could get something like an electric charcoal or something to reduce the amount of CO exposure.
They have one now. It gets fair reviues.

DGBAMA

making good charcoal is not hard. I use a metal gallon paint can. precut your wood into pieces about 75% larger than you want your finished charcoal. Fill the paint can with these chunks and seal with the lid. put a half dozen or so nail holes in the lid for venting. I put the can in the middle of one of my burn piles while cleaning the yard, but guess a stove or other heat source would work too. When the can gets hot enough you will see smoke from the vent holes. When the vent holes quit smoking (several hours) remove the can and let it cool. You will be left with nice pieces of natural charcoal inside.

DGBAMA

leverhead, I beleive we may share a common "other hobby".

The goal in making charcoal is to burn the wood without exposure to oxygen. Leaving pure carbon (charcoal) behind. Too many vents or holes too big in the can will leave you with a bunch of ashes instead of charcoal.

leverhead

The goal in making charcoal is to burn the wood without exposure to oxygen. Leaving pure carbon (charcoal) behind. Too many vents or holes too big in the can will leave you with a bunch of ashes instead of charcoal.

Does it involve the manipulation of paper? The pleasure of high amplitude, low frequency sound is a guy thing. The Charcoal will still have the ash in it and if you don't cook it long enough, some combined Hydrogen. I put nails in the holes when it's done flaming. You need enough holes in the can so the lid doesn't pop off while cooking.

BarG

Founding Member

Thats why when I'm burning hardwoods I smother the coals with ashes and rake out the coals before they can smolder away. At the same time you can cook a good stew for company.:cool: I have a lot pignut hickory we call here, would they make hookah coals?

DGBAMA

Does it involve the manipulation of paper? The pleasure of high amplitude, low frequency sound is a guy thing. The Charcoal will still have the ash in it and if you don't cook it long enough, some combined Hydrogen. I put nails in the holes when it's done flaming. You need enough holes in the can so the lid doesn't pop off while cooking.

my charcoal plus a trip to the walmart garden center for dusting sulphur & stump remover.

i got a pretty nice "rock polisher" too.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
is it only spectracide brand? mine carries another brand and no ingredient list on the bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.