Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Paul E. Sumner
Extension Engineer
University of Georgia

[SIZE=-2]Tobacco curing has been considered an art for many years. Growers today have been taught by their fathers and grandfathers how to turn ripe harvested tobacco leaves to high quality yellow gold cured leaves with good flavor and aroma desired by cigarette manufacturers. With the use of bulk barns, growers today have much more control over the curing process. Management skills include understanding the principles of controlling airflow, temperature and humidity in a controlled environment. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]This year the majority of growers will be curing with indirect fired burners. This is a drier heat than curing with direct fired LP burners. Direct fired LP burners produced 1.25 gallons of water for every gallon of LP gas burned. Therefore, moisture levels within the curing barn will not be as high as it has been with direct fired burners with the same vent setting. Growers can monitor the moisture levels within a bulk curing barn by using a wet-bulb thermometer (hygrometer).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Using Wet-Bulb, Dry-Bulb Thermometers --The wet-bulb thermometer measures the temperature of the leaf during the early stages of cure; the dry-bulb thermometer measures air temperature. Most growers use the dry-bulb thermometer, but you also need a wet-bulb thermometer. Since the humidity as well as the dry-bulb temperature must be controlled, a wet-bulb thermometer indicates when adjustments in the vents are necessary. Don't use thermostats as thermometers. They may not be calibrated to sense the same temperatures as thermometers. You can buy wet-bulb thermometers at most fuel supply dealers (i.e. Taylor® Mason's Hygrometer $63.00), or you can make one at a fraction of the cost. A homemade wet-bulb thermometer designed especially for bulk tobacco barns can be used. Details for construction and a photograph of the homemade wet-bulb thermometer are available.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Observation and Location - Closely monitor tobacco throughout the curing process for temperature, humidity and color. Look through observation ports regularly to check the wet-bulb, dry-bulb thermometers and color changes taking place. For updraft barns, place the dry-bulb thermometer under the tobacco near an observation port so you won't need to open the door. Place the wet-bulb thermometer between racks or on top of the tobacco for a more accurate indication of wet-bulb temperature. Reverse location of thermometers when using down-draft barns. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Temperature Advance Schedule --There is considerable variance in advancing the temperature depending on the condition of the tobacco. A wet-bulb, dry-bulb temperature schedule (Figure 2) is effective with mature, good quality tobacco. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]
schedule.jpg
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Figure 2. Bulk Curing Schedule for Mature, Ripe Tobacco.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Humidity --During the yellowing and leaf-drying phases, humidity control is essential. The relative humidity drops as the cure advances. Control the humidity by adjusting the fresh air exchange rate with the vent system. By controlling the humidity, the coloring time may be extended or shortened to get the most desirable color. If the tobacco is drying too fast (drying before yellowing), close the vents. On the other hand, opening the vents will speed drying. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]The relationship between the wet-bulb and the dry-bulb temperatures determines the relative humidity within the barn, The closer the wet-bulb temperature is to the dry-bulb temperature, the higher the relative humidity, The relative humidity within the barn determines the leaf's rate of drying. The lower the humidity, the faster the leaf dries; the higher the humidity, the slower the leaf dries. Maintaining the proper wet-bulb temperature not only results in the best possible cures but also minimizes the amount of fuel needed to cure the tobacco. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]Advancing Temperatures during Yellowing --Advancing the dry-bulb temperature and wet-bulb temperature in relation to each other is a critical feature of curing. When starting a barn close air Intake vents before the heater is turned on. Turn the heater on and raise the temperature to the yellowing range (Figure 1 ) gradually. Don't raise the temperature more than 5oF at anyone time. Allow about 30 minutes between temperature rises so curing air can become equalized. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]Yellowing Considerations --Curing each barn of tobacco as the season progresses requires adjustments in the curing schedule. For example, tobacco grown under varying climatic and field conditions calls for different yellowing schedules with dry-bulb temperatures varying from 95o to 105oF and wet-bulb of 93o to 97oF. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]Length of Time Required for Yellowing --Normal tobacco is yellowed at varying lengths of time, depending on the stalk position. You can improve the quality of certain varieties by extending the yellowing period. Certain varieties may sometimes yellow before starch converts to sugar. When this happens, the result may be pale, slick, immature tobacco. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]Other Yellowing Suggestions --Remove as much moisture as possible during the yellowing phase of curing. With good tobacco, as much as 20 percent of the moisture can be removed during yellowing. When the yellowing phase is almost completed, the tobacco should show a good yellow color at the leaf tip with slight green-tinged colors running along the main stem and veins to the butt. The leaf tips and edges should begin to tuck and dry to a bright yellow. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]When the tobacco throughout the barn reaches the desired color, increase temperature and rate of drying. At the end of yellowing, some wilting should have occurred. Avoid flash temperatures that can dry the leaf before yellowing is completed. This sets an undesirable green color. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]Wilting --Some wilting occurs before the end of yellowing at the 105oF dry-bulb temperature, but most of the wilting should take place as the dry-bulb temperature advances from 110o to 118oF. The rate of temperature advance from 105o to 110oF should be 1 o to 1.5oF per hour and wet-bulb of 100oF. During the wilting phase, the tobacco loosens considerably and the air can move through readily. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]Do not advance the temperature beyond 118oF dry-bulb temperature until wilting is 100 percent complete. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]Leaf Drying --When the tobacco leaves have reached the desired yellow color and are thoroughly wilted, the leaf must be dried. The drying stage is critical because tobacco is sensitive to temperature change. Impatience to capture a good color often results in advancing the temperature too rapidly and producing a browning or barn scald. If the temperature is advanced too slowly, sponging may occur. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]There must be positive control of airflow and temperature during leaf drying to prevent undesirable color in the cured leaf. To prevent sponging, dry the leaf as rapidly as possible, but not so rapidly as to cause scalding. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]Wet-Bulb and Dry-Bulb Temperatures --Maintain the wet-bulb temperature near 100oF during leaf drying. Once the tobacco is dry enough (30-40 percent of the moisture removed) to take dry-bulb readings above 135oF, the wet-bulb temperature is not critical to the quality of the cured leaf. Maintaining a wet-bulb temperature of 110oF or higher, however, tends to conserve fuel. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2]Stem Drying --Advance the dry-bulb temperature from 135o to 165oF at a rate of 2o to 3oF per hour. Close vents gradually during stem drying. Maintain a vent opening to hold wet-bulb temperature down to 110oF during the first 12 to 18 hours of stem drying. Vents are usually closed completely about the time the leaf is completely dry and the temperature has reached 165oF . Stems should be killed out at a temperature of 165oF. Sugar caramelization will cause tobacco to turn red when the dry-bulb temperature is more than 165oF . [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-2] The University of Georgia and Ft. Valley State College, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Counties of the state cooperating. The Cooperative Extension Service offers educational programs, assistance and materials to all people without regard to race, color, national origin, age sex or disability. An Equal Opportunity/affirmative Action Organization Committed to a Diverse Work Force. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Miscellaneous Publication ENG01-002 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]June 2001[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Issued in furtherance of Cooperative Extension work, Acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914, The University of Georgia College of Agriculture and the U. S. Department of Agriculture cooperating.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Gale A. Buchanan, Dean and Director [/SIZE]

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i just dont understand the whole WET BULB DRY BULB thing,

im gonna keep it simple with a heater, and crock pot,

thats my wet/dry bulb,

leverhead

i just dont understand the whole WET BULB DRY BULB thing,

It (wet bulb) measures dew point. If you wrap a wet piece of cloth around a thermometer bulb and place it in moving air, the water will evaporate. Cooling the cloth down to the dew point. If you know the dry bulb (plain) temperature and the dew point (wet bulb), you can look up on a chart or calculate the relative humidity.

Gmac

I had this PDF last year and it worked great, but this year we got 29 inches of rain in April and now it hasn't rained in 6 weeks, humidity 30% 24-7. I thought I'd moved to California.
So my method for 2013 was not good for 2014. I'm used to a 70% humidity here in MS. year around. It all worked out, got lots of good tobacco but not as pretty as last years.

You can get a PDF like this from The University of Tennesee for Air & Fire cured on Line.
My friend in Hartsville gave me the whole book. They have anything on Tobacco you'll want free just for the asking.

Gmac

ArizonaDave

Very, very interesting! For some reason, I don't know why, it dried out here. I started running a humidifier in my office and sure enough, they went yellow to brown. House is now at 42* humidity. I forgot to check what it was before.

Bex

An explanation here:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/dry-wet-bulb-dew-point-air-d_682.html
Dewpoint is when water condenses out of the air - different than wet bulb temps, which are measuring temperatures during evaporation.
Frankly, I don't hassle with this at all - having read somewhere (here probably) that wet bulb thermometers were used prior to the introduction of the concept of relative humidity, I figure I will be more modern, and deal with relative humidity. Far easier, as you can have your hygrometer outside of your chamber, whereas the wet bulb thermometer must be inside.

greenmonster714

Gotta say I'm confused after reading this. I read it twice an it still boggles my head. I'm with Chicken. I'm gonna have to keep it simple for my first time in the tobacco patch. Interesting read but way over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.