Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hockey Pucks or perhaps small round concrete disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'm ashamed to admit I'm talking about my biscuits. I'm not a Bisquick fan. I prefer rolled biscuits to drop. Any of you guys or gals (or your significant others) out there got a magic secret you might share? I really like biscuits and sausage gravy but hate Bisquick and I'm not real fond of Hockey Pucks either. :<))​ -- John

Rayshields

John, go light on the shortening. (read lard). Cut the COLD shortening into the flour. salt, baking powder, baking soda mixture with a pastry cutter or two forks. Use buttermilk or kiefir for liquid. On a floured surface knead the wet dough about 10 times by folding it over on itself and pressing down. Roll out to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness. Try cutting with a biscuit cutter or smooth drinking glass. Brush the tops with melted bacon grease. Bake in hot oven 425...I like these better than dropped biscuits. I am listing ingredients from a southern biscuit recipe:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the board
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder (use one without aluminum)
1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold...Crisco or lard works just as well
1 cup buttermilk (approx)

Read more at: http://southern.food.com/recipe/southern-buttermilk-biscuits-26110?oc=linkback

I think that the kneading is a lot of the secret. Check the bottom of your baking powder can to make sure it isn't expired. Let us know how they turn out.

Ray

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Must be something in the air up here in the north...I tried making real biscuits for the first time the a couple of days ago. They turned out...well, my dog won't even eat them unless I put gravy on them.

Mine didn't rise to more than an inch high. I used real lard (first time I ever bought lard) and buttermilk, followed the direction from some old woman on youtube who has been making them for 54 years. She said "If I don't have buttermilk, I don't make biscuits". The only thing I can figure is the baking powder expired. I'll check the can when I get home.

Oh, and the old woman in the video said her recipe doesn't work unless you use White Lilly flour.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Baking soda / Baking powder. They're different, so follow the recipe.

As you know, the gas bubbles formed by the bicarbonate is what causes the biscuit dough to rise.
  • Too little, and it won't rise enough.
  • Too much, and the tiny gas bubbles will converge into large ones, and collapse.
  • Too brief a time between mixing and baking, and it won't rise enough.
  • Too much time (or too much mixing), and the bubbles become large or dissipated.
  • Seek advice from a certified biscuitologist.
Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
She said "If I don't have buttermilk, I don't make biscuits". The only thing I can figure is the baking powder expired. I'll check the can when I get home.
Old baking powder was my first thought and I replaced it. Then I got to wondering about the new fangled buttermilk. It is quite different from the stuff I remember as a kid. I wonder if the lactic acid content is as high as it used to be. The acid is required to react with the baking soda. I'm told they made passable biscuits before baking powder was invented. This is in line with Bob's comments. -- John

Matty

Um, ya... I used to bake up some biscuits from time to time when I was younger. Biscuits and pie dough are the same to me, I ain't no pastry chef. One thing I do know for sure is that all your ingredients have to be cold or the soda and/or baking powder will start up too soon. Also, cutting the lard or butter into the dry ingredients is important, you want it mixed but it don't have to be perfect. Sift all dry ingredients together first and then cut the lard in. Bacon fat works good too ;)

Ishi

Mix the liquid and kneed as little as possible. If you roll out the scraps after cutting the first briskets. those briskets will be tuff.

Rayshields

Old baking powder was my first thought and I replaced it. Then I got to wondering about the new fangled buttermilk. It is quite different from the stuff I remember as a kid. I wonder if the lactic acid content is as high as it used to be. The acid is required to react with the baking soda. I'm told they made passable biscuits before baking powder was invented. This is in line with Bob's comments. -- John
The modern buttermilk will work just fine. I am pretty sure the old timers made sourdough biscuits.

Ray

Boboro

Sour dough bread taste like ear zits.I guess you wornder how I know Or maybe not. I once went out with a pimplely headed gal an got carryed away one nite and DAMM sour dough sucked right from behind her ear. Not near as many ppl. like sour dough after hearin that tale. I know an old gal that mite sell you a starter kit.

MsHomesmoke

Why are you guys even using plain flour to make biscuits,anyway?I only use it to make pie crusts.I always use self-rising flour,cold milk,Melted shortening or a fourth of a cup of cooking oil.Just blend it all together well,dump it on a floured board.Knead it,roll it out and cut out your biscuits.Put them on a greased baking sheet,stick them in a 450 degree oven(preheated).Shouldn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes,and you've got biscuits.

MsHomesmoke

Yes,it does.And that"free" tobacco has cost me a closet And a spare bedroom!But I have been able to keep the "bacco" paraphernalia contained to those 2 places. You guys have made me laugh like crazy with all your biscuit recipes!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Yes,it does.And that"free" tobacco has cost me a closet And a spare bedroom!But I have been able to keep the "bacco" paraphernalia contained to those 2 places. You guys have made me laugh like crazy with all your biscuit recipes!
Do you have one you prefer? Please don't tell me bisquick. -- J I hope you are getting some smokes you like out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.