Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Understanding Russian "Spam Cans" of ammo (7.62x54R specifically)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
AMM-653.jpg

I recently bought another slot of these on sale for $83 shipped and realized I didn't know what the hell the writing meant on these cans. Being the mentally bored person I am, I did some research and came upon the photo below.

AP0022.jpg

This is the code only for Russian/Yugo/Czech ammo, but is still useful info.

This is a good source of info as well: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm (it gives a bunch of ammo specific information)

As for the cans:

These things are sealed against air/gas/water. In this can in particular, each can comes with 440 bullet, packed in 20 count pouches of paper. To open, you need the "tool" or a flat head screw driver and metal sheers (sharp sharp sharp!)

They are corrosive (not terribly though, and if you clean your gun like you're supposed to you'll never see an issue)

"max effective range" is claimed to be 500 yards but I've taken them well passed that (over 1000 yards)

If you see these full cans of ammo, I say buy them while you can. Ammo has gone up horribly in cost the past few years. When I first bought my M44, I bought a can for $49 at a mom and pop gun store.

Michibacy

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Mosins are great, when I had my c&r they were 40 delivered heg

Steve2md

Love it! But I hand load for mine. I like the milsurp for bump firing my dragunov sometimes though. The kids get a kick outta that one

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Yeah, I love Mosins as well! I got my M44 when it was marked incorrectly (it was marked as a M91/30) It's an Izhevsk factory made M44 year 1944 with battle stock, sling, original matching hardware (certain parts the barrel, bolt, magazine well and sight block have the serial number on them). As for the bayonet which was interesting, when I first bought it before I even cleaned it I sprayed the barrel tip down with luminol, the thing lit up like a candle :confused:

Truly beautiful gun!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
m44 is cut down rearseneled and has a permenantly attached bayo

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Smokes you're correct. It's not really any more special than the 91/30, just a bit more rare. I wouldn't mind getting the 91/30 eventually though.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i gave a m38 from sweden ? finnland? i forget, away, because i thought the m44's were so much more handy. that m38 could castrate a fly though, i gave it to my FIL so it didnt go far. there are differences in the way the sighting post is put together too, i.e. in the long versions if you tap the pin out holding the sight base you are left with a dovetail that will accept a standard dovetail mount so you can put a long eye relief scope on. the only problem with the russian guns is the sighting systems, its hard to be accurate with a short radius blade type sight.

i also didnt mind bubbahing my $40 rifles, it's a tool in my mind and modern components can be much more effective than the older ones. i also removed the bayonets, i dont think they issued pistols to these guys if they expected them to use the bayo. i have a pistol, i want to remove weight from the gun. i also dont really care about the history other then that this was an amazing rifle for this or that time, and with a few enhancements there is no reason this cant be as accurate as that gaudy tricked out 700 the other guy has. the only issue is the straight bolt, but the scout setup fixes that.

i was actually thinking mounting a 3moa red dot to one and throwing it in a synthetic stock. in the woods 3moa on a 308-.30-06 round is more than you'd ever need.

Status
Not open for further replies.