Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Best wood for pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I've read some articles about pipe making. I'm not a talented craftsman but I may try to make one oneday.

This is what I learned about the wood (for pipes). Generally they're selected for these reasons,

- resistance to fire
- good absorbtion of water
- dense structure

The common briar pipes are made from the roots of Erica arborea. Because of their habitat their roots are very absorbent (for water) to supply the tree in the dry times.

I had an idea of making a pipe from an olive tree root. It's very fire resistant. If you put it on a strong fire it resist for a while. Very dense structured. Like the briar, olive tree is always greedy for water because of this it's very absorptive.

So, what dou you think, did I miss anything ?

Steve2md

I have carved one from the root once before. It was one of my first pipes I made so it came out butt ugly, but smoked great. I've seen a few others made here and there. Here's a link that might help you out http://www.pipemakersforum.com/ lots of knowledgeable folks over there

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If you don't have the machinery, you can do most of the shaping with a flat/half round rasp and a round rasp for quick material removal. Then switch to files and a couple small chisels could be handy. About any sharp pocket knife could be useful. As Bob showed in his apple pipe making, you can use a hand held drill. Above all you will need patience. If you take your time there's no reason your first pipe can't look as good as any store bought. If you don't strive for perfection you will never achieve excellence.

A handy vise can be made using a scrap piece of plywood as small as 12" x 12". Mount a 1" x 2" x 12" board upright to one edge of the plywood. You can take a 2" x 6" x 12" board and cut it on a diagonal from one corner to it's opposite corner. Screw one of these parallel to the fence so that when you put the other triangular shaped board down (it stays loose) it will tighten up against the work piece.

Scan.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
One more thing Emre. Inside your piece of wood is a pipe. Remove every piece of wood that is not a pipe and you have finished shaping. All that remains is sanding and applying finish.

Last edited:

Steve2md

That^^^^ The pipe is already there. It's just up to you to have the PATIENCE to help guide it out of the block.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Briar root is commonly used to make pipes. I think you can find it in Turkey Istanbulin.

Yes there're thousand of Briars (Erica arborea) here both in wild areas and in gardens as an ornamental plant. But in wild they're mostly under protection and home garden growns may not be very suitable (I'm not sure). I won't destroy a living plant for a pipe. There's a dead olive tree in the opposite of my building and department of parks will remove it soon. If they take out the root (?) I may request a piece from it. That's why I'm interested in olive tree root for a pipe.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The most figured woods are from the trees that had the hardest upbringing. Hanging on the slope of a cliff by two roots, wind blasted and twisted and starved for water. Cultivated trees grow too fast and the growth rings are further apart and the wood has no figure.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've made several pipes out of Olive Wood and it's probably the best tasting wooden pipes I've tried. I don't care for wooden pipes but would be my choice for a wood pipe. If I remember correctly Olive Wood has a tendency to easily split.

Status
Not open for further replies.