Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wood heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty

When I was growin' up we heated primarily with wood, just an old cookstove in the kitchen of our old, country style brick house. Probably burned 6-8 cord a year depending on the weather. Maple, black cherry, elm, ash, beech, and some other "weed" trees. Didn't burn much softwood or birch cause my dad said it burnt too dirty. That stove had (has, still in use, sat by it tonight a bit) a small firebox, maybe 1'X1'X2.5' but it would heat the whole house. Before bed, we'd get a bed of coals in there and stuff in the biggest piece of wood that would fit, close up all the drafts a bunch and it would keep the house warm till the next morning. Morning we'd just put in a little kindling and a good stick on the leftover coal or coals and it would start back up. Even at -45°C (a rare occasion but it still got that cold sometimes) the house would be warm.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
When I was growin' up we heated primarily with wood, just an old cookstove in the kitchen of our old, country style brick house. Probably burned 6-8 cord a year depending on the weather. Maple, black cherry, elm, ash, beech, and some other "weed" trees. Didn't burn much softwood or birch cause my dad said it burnt too dirty. That stove had (has, still in use, sat by it tonight a bit) a small firebox, maybe 1'X1'X2.5' but it would heat the whole house. Before bed, we'd get a bed of coals in there and stuff in the biggest piece of wood that would fit, close up all the drafts a bunch and it would keep the house warm till the next morning. Morning we'd just put in a little kindling and a good stick on the leftover coal or coals and it would start back up. Even at -45°C (a rare occasion but it still got that cold sometimes) the house would be warm.
Matty, Is that a 4, 6 or 8 holer? -- John

Matty

T'is 6 holes, water resevoir at the end, water heater at the front, typical oven and full size warming oven above. Not an old model but by no means new either lol.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
T'is 6 holes, water resevoir at the end, water heater at the front, typical oven and full size warming oven above. Not an old model but by no means new either lol.
If I'm not mistaken that is the stove that Aunt Mary used. Does it have a "back draft" slider to control the oven temp? It was set about 18/20 " from a sheet meteled wall and we kids and the dogs used to lie back there to keep warm and be out of the way. I never understood why we didn't get fleas. -- John

Matty

Well, I don't think it has that, the only slider is on top of the range, controls a 4"X8" opening between the firebox and chimney. I suppose it COULD control oven temp, when closed the smoke goes all the way round the oven and out the bottom at the back. We only use it to keep from smoking the inside of the house when we put wood in. If it stayed open with a fire going flames would go right up the chimney, which has happened at least twice that I know of, causing a chimney fire.

Funny how that is eh? I never got fleas doing that kinda stuff either lol

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I have a crappy daka stove, crappy panduits, leaky ducts and a long hard to heat house. With low single digit temps outside over Christmas the house has been staying a comfy 70+ degrees easily.

Wood heat is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.