Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wood heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayshields

I know that Johnlee and I use wood for our primary heat source...I love the warmth you get with wood. I am wondering just how many of us heat primarily with wood.

Here are some facts I learned this summer about wood: All wood has the same BTU/pound of DRY wood. Dry wood has more BTU per pound than corn, which really surprised me.

We have wood called Osage Orange or Bois d'Arc or Hedge in Missouri. The settlers planted hedge rows for fences...thorny stuff. Much of those rows have been dozed out. When I was growing up, you could count on hedge rows to produce Morel Mushrooms and they always had a covey of quail someplace nearby. It has about the highest BTU/cord because it weighs so darned much per cord. In fact it is so heavy that freshly cut hedge will not float. When cut into fence posts it lasts over 100 years...we have a very few old hedge telephone poles still standing that were abandoned in 1962 for underground lines and rotary dial phones...they were only about 4 inch diameter and 12 feet sticking out of the ground...I've got a picture of one someplace. Big corner posts will last 150 or more years.

Next best firewood we have here is Hickory, then Locust, then I like White Ash better than oak even though it is lower in BTU it sure splits easy and dries a lot quicker than oak.

DonH

I use wood, too. In New England most furnaces run on oil which is pretty expensive now. Our wood burning stove is not big enough to provide all the heat but it saves us a lot of money and we can keep the house at 55 degrees in the dead of winter if the power goes out. Our new stove paid for itself after on winter.

The new ones (EPA approved) are very efficient and don't emit much smoke.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Cut wood when the moon is on the decrease (getting smaller after the full moon). It will dry better, not become worm eaten, and it won't pop or sprew water out the ends when you burn it.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
i heat with wood, about 6 cord hardwood for the year,
yeah all wood is the same btu per pound when dry, hardwoods advantage is not having to split as much nor fill as often.

Boboro

I know that Johnlee and I use wood for our primary heat source...I love the warmth you get with wood. I am wondering just how many of us heat primarily with wood.

Here are some facts I learned this summer about wood: All wood has the same BTU/pound of DRY wood. Dry wood has more BTU per pound than corn, which really surprised me.

We have wood called Osage Orange or Bois d'Arc or Hedge in Missouri. The settlers planted hedge rows for fences...thorny stuff. Much of those rows have been dozed out. When I was growing up, you could count on hedge rows to produce Morel Mushrooms and they always had a covey of quail someplace nearby. It has about the highest BTU/cord because it weighs so darned much per cord. In fact it is so heavy that freshly cut hedge will not float. When cut into fence posts it lasts over 100 years...we have a very few old hedge telephone poles still standing that were abandoned in 1962 for underground lines and rotary dial phones...they were only about 4 inch diameter and 12 feet sticking out of the ground...I've got a picture of one someplace. Big corner posts will last 150 or more years.

Next best firewood we have here is Hickory, then Locust, then I like White Ash better than oak even though it is lower in BTU it sure splits easy and dries a lot quicker than oak.
we call them bodock

Boboro

Iheat with wood 1 or 2 cords a year. I got a Eden pure heater for chirstmas last year and like it a lot when it ant real cold I can turn it on and it keeps the house warm.

skychaser

All wood heat here. We go through 6-8 cords per year, depending on how ugly it gets. Mostly Douglas fir and Ponderosa pine. We have gas heat too but almost never use it. The wood is free, and you can't huddle up to a heat duct when you're cold like you can with a nice warm stove. :) We have a small wood cook stove in our kitchen too for when the power is out.

Rayshields

When I was growing up, we had an Ashley wood stove that had two steel walls...it was oval shaped and was our primary heat source. My mom made vegetable beef soup on it. It took two days and nights to make a batch of soup. I have never been able to duplicate it.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I've used wood my whole life
8nS36.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
When I get home I gotta take a pic of my pile, 1/8th gone already so if I want to show off I need to hurry lol

Lakota

Founding Member
We move to a new place, sure do miss the wood heat. I used to cut 8 or 9 cord a year. Mostly spruce and poplar. Not great wood but that is all we had.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
He built himself a trailer to haul one cord loads lined with two full sheets of plywood (8 X 4) on the sides
and a (4 X 4) sheet in the front so you knew you were getting a full cord.I thought he did a damn fine job
of truth in salesmanship.

D9atD.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i was at my moms yesterday,,,,

they have had a trailer for 5 years and havent lit the fireplace at all,,,

i pondered and asked them, why not use it,?

it would make the house very warm, very quick,

i wish i had a fireplace,,,,, then i could get my woman outside chopping me wood,

Status
Not open for further replies.