Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

1st Time Chew a Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksctm

Hi G-Chew,
I see a lot of people use apple juice and simmer it for hours to concentrate it.
I bought 2 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate for 99 cents a can, couldn't I use that and skip boiling it for 2 hours and get the same result in flavor? Just heat then add your other flavors, then tobacco.
I even thought of throwing in a hand full of raisins and let them steep, then remove the raisins before adding tobacco.
I've bought a bunch of things to try but been wanting to ask about the juice concentrate before trying a batch.
Thanks,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Propylene glycol, common in many flavoring agents, will also maintain a "moist" feeling to the tobacco. It's the same stuff sold for cigar humidifiers.

Bob

G-Chew

Hey 93rdCanadian

The coffee chew ended up with an AWESOME roasted coffee/espresso flavor. I personally LOVE it. however, my buddies all love the more traditional over the counter chew and say they hate it...

So far it is my personal favorite...I let the leaves brew in a crock pot of about 2 cups of STRONG brewed coffee for a few hours, pulled the leaves out, put them on a cookie sheet and placed on the screen porch over night, then lined them back up like them were in a "hand" and cut them into 2 inch sections...tasted like CRAP! so I then toased them in the oven at 100-130 degrees for 10 minutes...DANG! that made all the difference in the world!

it went from a slimmy, cold, nasty mess to a dry, sweet, roasted coffee flavor...the texture was dry and brittle...but once in the mouth it got wet and was REALLY nice...plus I can spit it out when Im done, take me a swig of my cofffee and BAM! none of the kids in my class know I been chewing!

G-Chew

Hey Marksctm,

yep, i think starting from concentrate would elimintate trying to evaporate the water from the mix...GREAT idea...wish i had thought of that...i just used what i had..some of my boys 100% apple juice that was in the fridge...but yes...concentrated would be better...and i have heard of people using raisins or even a LITTLE prune juice to REALLY excelerate the baccy flavors...something about grapes/raisens and plums/prunes being a natural enhancer to baccy...

let me know how it turns out...I cant get the steps after cooking it all up down right...It ends up a wet mess or a toasted dust...but I'm learning I guess...

Burllenz

I have never tried making chew before, but surely wanted ti try it and would like to share my experience with you all.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I have never tried making chew before, but surely wanted ti try it and would like to share my experience with you all.

Best spammer in two years. The link is dead, but if you have a good malware program, go ahead and check out the link...caveat emptor.

I only allow this to stay as an example of what NOT to click on. Recognize this format, as I believe it is the new standard. Clicking on a link like this will likely install a virus you will play hell trying to remove.

G-Chew

I've tried several ways of making chew. I've used Monster Energy, apple juice, apple martini liquid mix, but my favorite is cherry juice that you buy in the ice cream topping section.
I've learned that pure fruit juices easily promote mold...you HAVE to get the baccy (whether you make a plug, brick it then cut it or whatever) dry or it will easily mold.

To avoid this I've learned that if i use a flavoring i have better luck. walmart has LOTS of stuff to choose from in the spice section.
I've found that if I get my baccy hands that are dried/cured and get them pliable by placing them in a bag or container for a few days (turning them over and over so the flavor gets all over the leaves) they become pliable so that I can then form them into a brick or plug. I then take em and store them in the freezer until I'm ready to enjoy em. The freezer pulls excess moisture out which will reduce mold issues once out of the freezer. Once out of the freezer I use a serrated knife to cut the plug into small sections to take with me for the day or slice the brick into strips. The glycerin in the flavoring usually keeps the baccy moist...If it gets too dry I just as a little more flavoring...

Status
Not open for further replies.