Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Temporary curing structures for home growers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This is a very similar design I use for my hothouse where I start my seeds. For the short amount of time this is needed, I won't even bother putting a door in. Drape some extra plastic over the end for the door and use a brick or two to keep it closed at night. It would be better to use a tarp on most of the hut. You could leave about 4' of the sides open also.

hoop greenhouse.jpg

hoop greenhouse2.jpg

http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/publicat/postharv/green/small_greenhouse.pdf

Instead of using PVC pipe, use lumber in a more traditions design. The best use of space would be to hang the leaf in tiers along the length of the building.

These are extremely easy and economical greenhouse plans.

Something this simple can be used for primed leaves from 40 to 50 plants.

porch-awning.jpg

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
100_1624.jpg 100_1627.jpg 100_1579.jpg 100_1628.jpg

My wife asked me this weekend if I had ulterior motives when I rebuilt our porch and added a roof. Maybe in the back of my mind I did. I'm not sure if this classifies for this thread, but it will only be hanging temporary till before first freeze. The carport will be used for hanging stalks.

Last edited by a moderator:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
That is some right proper use of space...Excellent idea. All of that leaf looks perfect...very nice job of stringing your baccy.

How many varieties do you have growing?

BarG

Founding Member
I onlly have one variety this year,monte calme. Next year I plan on having several thanks to yall's seed bank. I'm realy looking forward to planting some of those havana 142 seeds I got with my whole leaf order. By the way , I had a chance to roll a cigar with a blend of the samples you chose to send and I have to say it was one of the best Ive ever smoked,will defenitly hit you up for some more of that later on if still available.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member

BarG

Founding Member
I can walk out the door in morning, drink my coffee and inspect my baccy. I had the porch full all the way across but I've been sorting and tying into hands and rehanging for time being. I want to store in better location to keep out of too much wind during storms and winter. I only work on it in the mornings after a good humid night. Still working on my long term storage solution.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^ press it,,, pack it,,,,wrap it,,,,

thats my solution but i got acess to a shop press,,,,:cool:

BarG

Founding Member
Whats the advantage of pressing other than space for bulk storage. I could press with no problem but seems like would be hard to access for personal use or sale unless in bulk quantity. What case and how long can you store that way?

O.S.O.K.

The hoop house looks to be a great way to start. I suppose as your success grows (hey, I made pun!) you could build a wooden cure house...

BarG

Founding Member
What better way to promote grow your own than when someone walks up to your house and sees all that baccy hanging lol. In all seriousness a closed in structure is the way to go.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
A few years ago there was a thread on another site about people getting their tobacco stolen. The incentive is there. If 1 plant will yield 4 packs of cigarettes at $8.00 a pack and you have 50 plants hanging in your carport/barn etc you have $1600.00.. very attractive to a low life to come by and steal.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
starplate-greenhouse-photo.jpg

Stromberg Poultry, in Pine River, MN, offers a kit consisting of steel angle plates for constructing any size small building, using bolts and 2"x2"s, 2"x3"s or 2"x4"s, depending on the height of the structure. I've occasionally stared at their many pages of information, considering what could be done with it. I'm posting the link here so that members can share the pondering. It seems like a wonderful idea, but I just can't quite get the pentagonal structure to make practical sense. Perhaps a simple plastic cover over the frame could create an inexpensive yet sturdy curing structure. The cost for the kit is $89.50.

The first page of all the info is here: http://www.strombergschickens.com/starplate_building_system

STAR-Connector-MED.jpg

The kit consists of a set of these, and can be used to make anything from a dog house to a car garage.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I have half of it tied into hands, been to dry to work on what is still hanging the last couple of weeks, I live on a dead end dirt road with very few transients or strangers willing to drive down, every one around here is real consientious of who comes and goes. plus everyone one is armed, hardly a day goes by when you don't hear someone shooting. I'm planning on loosly packing hands with 10-15 leaves in plastic bags for this years long term, or just folding along midrib and flattening out and packing that way for easy access. I've thought about getting ripped off but I think they would find its not worth the consequences of getting caught lol. Big dogs don't hurt either. { shitfire my guns aint loaded and my dogs dont bite}

BarG

Founding Member
What's the name of that road you live at the end of??? :)

I'll never tell, If I told ya i'd have to shoot ya!!! :eek: Some of those texas wildfires were only 12-15 miles from my place last week, you could walk outdoors and smell smoke and the sky was real hazy looking, they came close to evacuating one small town half way between me and the fire, the fire was north of me and we had a real strong north wind blowing. everythings fine now and fires in this area are under control.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I have half of it tied into hands, been to dry to work on what is still hanging the last couple of weeks, I live on a dead end dirt road with very few transients or strangers willing to drive down, every one around here is real consientious of who comes and goes. plus everyone one is armed, hardly a day goes by when you don't hear someone shooting. I'm planning on loosly packing hands with 10-15 leaves in plastic bags for this years long term, or just folding along midrib and flattening out and packing that way for easy access. I've thought about getting ripped off but I think they would find its not worth the consequences of getting caught lol. Big dogs don't hurt either. { shitfire my guns aint loaded and my dogs dont bite}

hehehe ^^^^ thats funny,,,but so true,,,

im gonna put a lock on my camper when i get all the baccy in there either stored curing,, or hanging,,,,

so if they want my baccy they better bring some bolt cutters or hook to the camper and drag it away,,,,

but i do got dogs,,,,,american bulldogs,,,,

and when the sun goes down,,,, strangers aint welcome here, by them<---------:cool:

BarG

Founding Member
If I was independently wealthy I'd do like they have been doing it for generations, old tried and true! with a good old wooden, tobacco hanging barn built just right for my needs. For the amount I grow it realy wouldn't take that much to get my hands on some old lumber, don't have to be new just built well. Ive rebuilt old houses reusing old lumber and antique lumber , along with cabinets and furniture,Its old but new. For what I grow it would be about the size of a 12x16 portable building.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Here is what burley looks like hanging in my barn This photo was from 2009 notice the dirty top leaves . big tobacco bought them right on that year . You can cut pine poles or about any tree will work . The bents are 12' long with 20 more or less sticks per rail , 6 stalks to a stick .The center of the barn is 5 rails deep and outside rails is 4 rails ( Tiers ) deep .

fjDhK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.