Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2013 FTT Seed Collection distribution program

Status
Not open for further replies.

leverhead

it will be interesting to compare Ottoman grown for 10 generation in New Zealand to Ottoman grown in Texas and England.

That would be a cool thing to see documented! Do you think English seed grown in NZ would try to put it's roots in the air?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You know...I always wonder how tobacco grew upside-down. They just better make sure they don't plant to many in the same place or the island might tip over and capsize.

...and that time zone thing still has me baffled...are they 6 months and 16 hours ahead or behind us?

Boboro

I always want to ask what time it is thar. But I dont want to be politicity incorrect. I didnt bag any seed heads last year because I got freeked out about some plants that looked bad. Ill do a few this year Am very interrested in the MS. Heirloom.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My international seed mailing, in a small Jiffy mailer, runs about $3.95 for 1st class postage to just about any country.

Bob

Seanz

You know...I always wonder how tobacco grew upside-down. They just better make sure they don't plant to many in the same place or the island might tip over and capsize.

...and that time zone thing still has me baffled...are they 6 months and 16 hours ahead or behind us?
Thats why we are spread out over both islands, even weight distribution. :p.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i got some seeds for the bank if theyare needed,

big-gem
bursa
shariza
lizard - tail

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
i got some seeds for the bank if theyare needed,

big-gem
bursa
shariza
lizard - tail
All donations can be sent to the same address as the requests.

The seed bank does not need a lot of seeds from any single donor of any single variety. 3000 - 4000 is PLENTY

Please include the location (region/State/Country) on the package along with the variety.

Seanz

I always want to ask what time it is thar. But I dont want to be politicity incorrect. I didnt bag any seed heads last year because I got freeked out about some plants that looked bad. Ill do a few this year Am very interrested in the MS. Heirloom.
+19 hours ahead of Mississippi. We are the future down under :cool:

Boboro

Ive worked in many diffrant time zones never could keep them strate. I would call home at ungodly hours. So its 2am Sunday thir?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If you are requesting seeds only for a grow-out, you do not need to send any money. You're doing the entire forum one hell of a favor and the least I can do is send them to you at no cost.

wazzappenning

don, to keep your costs down, one member (i forget who) said they just put a cigarette filter in the dime bag containing the seeds. i think this way he was able to send in a plain envelope. hopefully he will chime in with how well it went for him. i looked but couldnt find the thread.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
don, to keep your costs down, one member (i forget who) said they just put a cigarette filter in the dime bag containing the seeds. i think this way he was able to send in a plain envelope. hopefully he will chime in with how well it went for him. i looked but couldnt find the thread.
That was me and there has been no seed damage in shipment. The most I ever sent was 3 bags in one envelope. 42 cents -- No Problem. The cover letter is on an 8 1/2 X 11" sheet which I standard fold and insert the bags. Hope this helps. -- John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Seed being crushed within the US Postal system is a probabilistic occurrence. Sometimes it happens; sometimes it doesn't. A Jiffy mailer reduces this probability to near zero. I find nothing more frustrating than wasting a considerable effort attempting to germinate seed that has made an unprotected journey through the Postal Service, and been damaged. Sometimes the damage is obvious (e.g. oil smudges); sometimes it's not.

The greatest expense in seed distribution is measured in time--the distributor's time and the grower's time. Just being asked to pay for the actual packaging materials and postage is a gift to all the members. Two dollars is damn near free.

Sorry for the grumpiness, but seed distribution represents a single point of failure in your growing plans. Why go cheap?

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Sorry for the grumpiness, but seed distribution represents a single point of failure in your growing plans. Why go cheap?

Bob

After all the effort involved in growing harvesting and sending seeds, it reminds me of the old saying ...If you don't have time to do it right the first time how in the hell are are you going tofind time to do it the second time. Seed bank seeds will be sent in padded envelope and member seeds will be cushioned accordingly, Hopefully.:cool: All the seeds I have recieved this year and last yr. made it thru with flying colors.

wazzappenning

id pay the $2 even if it cost him nothing to ship. i wasnt thinking of making it cheaper for me. i was thinking more of the $3.95 international shipping on a $2 donation. from what i remembered it was as effective for johnlee as using a padded envelope.

sorry, didnt mean to complicate things

BarG

Founding Member
id pay the $2 even if it cost him nothing to ship. i wasnt thinking of making it cheaper for me. i was thinking more of the $3.95 international shipping on a $2 donation. from what i remembered it was as effective for johnlee as using a padded envelope.

sorry, didnt mean to complicate things

Another old saying I rember is : Don't apolagize, ever...;) Unless......you did something realy horrible. We all make mistakes on our assumptions or misinterpretations over the net , but this forum aint about that as much as learning and sharing info. And learning not to Fu.k up.

wazzappenning

i think i will have all the seed i need for my grow this year, however, if there is something that needs to be grown out for seed, i would be happy to help. i only have 1 and 1/2 conditions. 1 it cant be stinky(ie rustica) and 1/2 would be nice if it could be at least blended into cigarette tobacco. im not planning on a huge crop this year, but would grow out 1 or 2 of the needed seed plants. let me know if there are plants that no one else will do.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Where do you guys get your small jiffy mailers? The smallest padded envelope at my local Post Office is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.