Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2013 FTT Seed Collection distribution program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I found some online at Staples size 4x8 bubble lined poly mailers. $6.99 for 25 but shipping was ridiculous. I'm going to get the Beast to stop by on her way back from work and see if they have them in stock.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
don, to keep your costs down, one member (i forget who) said they just put a cigarette filter in the dime bag containing the seeds. i think this way he was able to send in a plain envelope. hopefully he will chime in with how well it went for him. i looked but couldnt find the thread.

thats the way i send seeds,,, i put the seeds in a small '' dime bag'' and pack it full of cigg butts, and have sent this way about 10 times, and all have made it intact,

SmokeStack

I have plenty of Oriental seeds and Rustica seeds. Last year, I grew three Oriental varieties (Xanthi Yaka 18A, Izmir-Ozbas, Black Sea Samsun) and two Rustica varieties (Isleta Pueblo, Aztec). I did not top these varieties. I did not bag the flower heads so the seeds may not be pure strain. I did sort the seeds according to the variety or plant. But who knows what type of plant these seeds will produce - pure strain and possible hybrids. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will mail you some sends. Otherwise, I was planning on planting these seeds in the wild part of my property (never cultivated) and see if they would propagate on their own.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
seeds

Well, I thought I was joking, but I guess the jokes on me. Somewhere...I made a post that I was going to go on a cruise with the extra seed distribution money...but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Just got back from Lancaster PA where I had five varieties grown last year. 142, RSE, Bursa, Cuban 1 and 2. Got some nice wrapper (100 lbs) that needs fermented. Yesterday was the first time I've been caught up with orders in the last 3 months and next thing I knew, there were four more waiting.

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to turn my the computer off until I have all of the seed orders shipped.

The seed bank closes on March 15th, I'll process it. If you haven't SENT your request as outlined in this thread, it will not be processed (special consideration is being given to donors to the seed bank).

We'll have a contest to see who gets to process seed requests next year. Being the owner of the site, I'm disqualifying myself right now.

Last edited:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Re: Happy New Years GROUP BUY! Nicaraguan Tobacco

if it isnt fixed by sase's, maybe the only solution is $5 a strain with free shipping included. there is exceptions to everything but for the bulk maybe that'll make it doable.

if it causes less requests for 5-10 strains at a time by people that are only on the fence about growing, awesome, but for that hard to find strain $5 for a lifetime supply of that seed you want so dearly is less than nothing.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It's not a matter of money or whether it's worth doing, it's a matter of time...something of which I have very little of.

***I just stopped in to ban a spammer

DGBAMA

FM, I need to get a request in but had not rushed, as the start of the thread says March 15. Did I miss a change in closing date somewhere?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
what about an official ftt seed store run by someone in the community?

they could handle all the business, all requests could be forwarded to them by members as they appear on the forum, all bagged surplus seed from members could be forwarded to them, and in return they pay a yearly donation to defray server costs to FM as well as sending rare varieties to the bank just for storage purposes as new ones are grown or made available. there must be *some* money involved here, there are so many sites selling seed. but as the premier vendor associated with this site all business would go to them. part of the fee would have to include a shipping number so things don't get lost in the mail as easily and the customer can see where it is during transit.

i understand why free seed started, but this site stands on its own as the best of its kind and doesn't need this promo at all. a members only store should address those issues while making seed available to the public.

flat rate boxes are $5.60 so flatrate shipping is $6 in the US, seeds are $3 a strain and you could put 1 or 20+ varieties in the box with their protection ensured. one could even have a specific day of the week that all orders go out so you arent driving out to the usps every day.

but yeah there has got to be a solution here.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I would suspect that Don will keep the seed bank at his place. People come and go. Imagine if Don sent the seed bank to (pick a member's name here) and all of the sudden they dropped of the face of the earth? I know if it was MY seed bank I would want to keep it within hands reach- no offense

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
AKH, Electronic is nice and neat...BUT it is electronic. Up until I started my business I was gungho about everything being electronic. In the past year I've switched to paper ledgers, invoice sheets, receipt files etc, I trust it more. Especially with this world of hacking...

darren1979

First Time Grower
It would also be nice to have the seedbank mirrored, say 3 people all set with the same seed and sharing the workload. Logically it would be a nightmare at first but once up and running don could have a break and the seedbank would continue to function as normal.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
From what I understand, a duplicate of the seed bank has been sent to a forum member as a back up. That's probably as good as it's going to get.

leverhead

Distribution should should follow the rate of new membership and then at some point, fall off. Once a member has seed for a particular variety, it would take something pretty severe or maybe careless to change the situation. As new varieties are added to the collection, distribution would equal the number of interested members and then again fall off to the new member rate. I guess what I'm saying is there should be a peak and then it should become more manageable. With the number of members we have, after a few seasons, the list should be backed up several times and places and be very secure. Areas of interest and some crossover should almost guarantee it. If some varieties only reside in one place, those would need special attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.