Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2013 FTT Seed Collection distribution program

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Northern Hemisphere
Beginning February 2, 2013 thru March 15, 2013 you can make requests for seeds as follows

Southern Hemisphere
Beginning August 1st thru Sept 15th.

Dispersal will be about 100 seeds per variety.

Number of varieties offered:

• Founding members: unlimited, try to keep requests to a manageable number like 25 or so including not more than 5 criticals.
  • Donors to the seed bank: unlimited same as above.
  • More than 200 posts, or with a user reputation of 3 (green dots) or more, or member for at least one year: any 4 varieties
You will be expected to return several seed pods from bagged plants for any requests for varieties in need of being refreshed.

EDIT***1-7-13 If you are requesting seeds only for a grow-out, you do not need to send any money. You're doing the entire forum one hell of a favor and the least I can do is send them to you at no cost.

• Between 75 and 200 posts: any 2 non-critical varieties
All above selections can be made from THIS list of seeds. This list will be updated as members return seeds and/or donate new varieties.
If you have received seeds, but have not returned any to the seed bank, please send them to the address below.

• Fewer than 75 posts: two varieties from
TN 90, Kelly Burley, Yellow Twist Bud, Bursa, Rustica, Ct Shade Leaf, Silver River, Shirazi

Seed requests will be fulfilled using a single format this year. That format is...

Send $2 with your request, name, AND your address (Please write your name and address clearly. I will use this as the mailing label) to

Whole Leaf Tobacco
875 Moe Drive Unit 1-2
Akron Ohio 44310

I'll send your request in a padded envelope.

In addition to this offer, other members may be offering seeds on their own terms.

The FTT seed bank will be closed during the rest of the year except for rare exceptions.

Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Should that be a padded envelope and will it help to enclose empty 2x3 zip locks to replace yours? No need in you shouldering so much financial burden. How else can we be helpful?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The envelope you send for the sase is what will hold the seeds so padded is best just ensure adequate stamps for when it has seed in it.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I edited the original post to include $2...I'll supply the padded envelopes. Postage will be higher than a regular envelope also. I'm trying to make this as easy as possible...last time was a complete nightmare.

No need for plastic bag, each variety will be sent in a coin envelope.

Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Ok, I have a SAS padded envelope and $2.00 on the way. If there's any left over help a member out with overseas shipping or a member in a bind. Thank you Don.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
this sounds real good, i know, im gonna be needing some seeds,

and i need to look and catergarize what i have for the seed bank,

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
As kind of a side note....

If we don't get better cooperation with grow-out assistance this year, there will be a significant fee attached to each variety ordered next year. This fee will be used to pay someone to do the grow-outs.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What do you need in the way of cooperation? Do you need lists of available seeds from the growers or have certain varieties been assigned to certain individuals? This is my first year so I'm not sure how this is supposed to go. I can grow something out this coming season if you tell me what.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The seed list has three tiers of grow-out importance...

Black font is seed not in need of being refreshed.

Red font is seed with limited quantity and in need of being refreshed (usually remnant amounts from the GRIN donated by a member)

*Red font with an asterisk is seed in immediate need of being refreshed

To date, fewer than 5 members have assisted with the grow-outs in 2012. I've tried to give recognition to those who have helped this year by noting their names next to the variety for which they have refreshed and returned seeds. Bob's contributions are en route and will be published soon.

Seed submitted in 2011 has not been cataloged as it should have been, so I apologize to any member who contributed seeds and have not been recognized...I'll try to fill in that information also. Bob and I have both done the overwhelming majority of the grow-outs to date. I do not give recognition to myself in the list.

The list is not complete and I'll be working on adding additional recognition tomorrow.

Aaron

Are all red font varieties considered critical varieties or just the ones with an asterisk next to it?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Red font is seed with limited quantity and in need of being refreshed (usually remnant amounts from the GRIN donated by a member)

*Red font with an asterisk is seed in immediate need of being refreshed

Plain red font needs refreshed because of the limited number of seeds and/or the age of the seeds.

Red font with an asterisk is in danger of being lost forever.

Aaron

Sorry, If I'm being a pain. I don't mean to. I fall in the category of "Between 100 and 300 posts: any 2 non-critical varieties". I'm not sure if critical varieties are all of the red ones or just the ones with an asterisk. I would assume it would be all of the red ones but i hate to assume. I only ask because I have no need for seed from the bank for my own use but I would like to be able to contribute this year by growing something that needs to be refreshed. Either way I'm ok with, and out of the seeds that I already have there are a few that are not currently listed in the seed bank, so I should have something to donate next year either way.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Sorry to do it to you, but...

I changed the rules to allow you more access to the collection.

You're a regular visitor and contributor to the forum and I'm sure there are others who fall into the same distinction. I lowered the requirements because I think it's fair and I don't want to disassociate any member who contributes on a regular basis. Just because you don't have a shit ton of posts doesn't mean you're not a regular visitor to the forum.

If there are any other adjustments needed to the distribution program, please let me know.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
To answer your question...

Yes, all red font are "criticals".

If you want to do a grow-out, at this point I'll accept all the help I can get, but the number of seeds you'll get will be closer to 25 than 100 in hopes half of them germinate and of those, five actually grow. With a little luck, one might even make it to maturity.

Let me know which one you want to grow.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Don, I've already ordered my four varieties, if you want me to do a grow out add a few seeds of a variety to my order that needs growing out but nobody is liable to pick. In other words assign me one that is not that popular but doesn't need to disappear from existence. Two of my choices were in the red and I'll be bagging all my varieties anyway for next year. I sure hope you get some seed pouring in from this past years grow. That seed bank is more important than people realize. I think there are seeds there that can't be found anywhere else period. To lose that resource would be criminal.

Aaron

To answer your question...

Yes, all red font are "criticals".

If you want to do a grow-out, at this point I'll accept all the help I can get, but the number of seeds you'll get will be closer to 25 than 100 in hopes half of them germinate and of those, five actually grow. With a little luck, one might even make it to maturity.

Let me know which one you want to grow.

Thank You. I was thinking the same thing for the quantity of seeds I would request. 25 should be more than enough for me to get a few plants to seed.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Yes, FTT is a fun place, but there really is a serious side to it too. I just wish more people would recognize the importance of preserving these varieties. I think we only have 120 or so and that is a drop in the bucket compared to what was available. To lose any that are in our possession would be (at the very least) irresponsible.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'll take a small amount of almost any seed. I foresee a day when see distribution will be matched to specific locations. Someday, it will be interesting to compare Ottoman grown for 10 generation in New Zealand to Ottoman grown in Texas and England.

Status
Not open for further replies.