Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2013 Tobacco seed list

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The TN Red in the ARS-GRIN database would indeed be a catch. As a 1909 accession from Portiel Italy, it likely represented a green stem "Red Burley" that was widely grown in the US in the early and mid 1800s, and from which the white stem burleys were derived by a genetic fluke.

But, like you, I am skeptical about how a vendor of well-established name inventing proclivities could somehow obtain this.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
All requests have been processed except for the ones requested through PM.

I'm missing Adiyaman from Bob. I looked everywhere it could logically be and I'm coming up empty.
Another one I'm missing is Samsun Canic. They're probably keeping each other company somewhere they don't belong.

If anyone has Adiyaman or Samsun Canic, please let me know and I'll send the mailing info for who requested it/them.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Hey Don, were you able to send out my seeds I requested when I sent you seeds for the bank?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I just found another donation I didn't enter.

Praqie, I think this was from a plant from Larry.

Does anyone have a clue what this is?
It seems to be an anagram for Perique.
Also, if I'm the Bob whose Adiyaman you're looking for, I have never grown it or sent seed for it.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Jeremy,

I saved every envelope and every request that was sent. If there was a second sheet of paper included with this one and the seeds, I would have that also, but after searching the envelope and the the bags containing the seeds, I can not find an additional note. I'll send a scan of the note you sent to the email address on the note.

edit to remove Jeremy's personal info. (on the note that came with the seeds)

edit 2...Hmm...no email address...just a website address. Send me your email and I'll send a copy of the note you sent with the seeds.

indianjoe

Founding Member
FM,
TN red was a green stem variety. I will have to search as to where I got it from, I think an individual.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Don, I sent it via PM, just cubano seeds, if you're out no worries

Then to answer your question, No PM orders have been processed at all. Everyone who cooperated with the format of the distribution program will be rewarded by getting their seeds first. As I find time, I'll sift through the hundreds of PM's I have saved and compile a list of all PM requests.

You guys have to try to understand...it's not just the 10 of us any more. As much as I'd like to give personal attention to every PM I get about everything related to the site, recommending a certain tobacco, what type of seeds for different uses, seed requests etc. etc. I just can't do it.

I know that sounds unappreciative and I know it will piss people off, but that's the grim reality of it.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If anyone has Adiyaman or Samsun Canic, please let me know and I'll send the mailing info for who requested it/them.

I should still have some Canik seed left. I'll check tonight and get back to you. In the mean time Don, send me the names of people that want it and I'll send it out Wednesday (if I do indeed still have some seed left)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
No worries don, we had discussed it previously but that's fine, I'll submit a request using your stated format.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I just checked. I still have a small supply of Canik in the original GRIN envelope.

Edit: GRIN offered two different Caniks, the one I have has "0" sucrosesters. The other one had 6.7 sucrosesters

skychaser

Cuban petite exists nowhere else in the world other than on the above site. I suspect it is yet another fictitious name. Criollo 98 is a recently developed hybrid cigar wrapper (shade grown) or filler (sun grown). Since real Criollo 98 is a hybrid, I'm suspicious of it's viability. I'm actually much more suspicious of its authenticity...not of the donor, but of the supplier of the seed.

I dunno where the "petite" name comes from but I do know he obtained the Criollo 98 and Habano 2000 both out of Nicaragua about 4 years ago. I grew both this year. The Criollo 98 germ tested at 82% and the Habano 2000 tested at 94%. I suspect the Criollo would have tested higher if it were not for early frosts. Damn early frost did me in on a few varieties this year. Here is the one half decent pict I have of the Criollo.

Attachments

• Img_1508_copy.jpg
    Img_1508_copy.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 94

Knucklehead

Founding Member
skychaser - do you know what the variety is for the Burley Original and Virginia Gold #1?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Sky, This is a copy of the link from the site Cuban_Petit. As you can see, the names don't match. I'm not sure if this is an over-site on the site's owner or if the Criollo 98 is a occupying the same page the Cuban Petit once held.

So I guess the real question is..."Which variety do we have? The Cuban Petit or the Criollo 98?...or are they the same?

skychaser

skychaser - do you know what the variety is for the Burley Original and Virginia Gold #1?

I am 99% sure the burley original is Burley 21. Not sure on the Virginia Gold. I asked him once and I think he said it was is just an heirloom type of Virginia Gold. I haven't looked at that page on his site in a while, but he did have 3 varieties of VG listed there. One was just called Virgina gold, probably was the #1, and the other two were hybrids.

I got seed from all 3 last year but only grew the hybrids for some reason. I kind of hate to say it but those hybrids kick ass! Biggest most beautiful leaves I have ever had on a VG type. And they air cured a beautiful light golden yellow. One is CC27 and is produced by Cross Creek Seed here in the US, and the other is PVH2306 which is produced by Profigen in Brazil. I let a couple go to seed and tried sprouting them and got 0. They are sterile. But if you don't care about saving seeds and just want the highest producing VG you can get, then grow those! They are worth the cost of the seed.

skychaser

Sky, This is a copy of the link from the site Cuban_Petit. As you can see, the names don't match. I'm not sure if this is an over-site on the site's owner or if the Criollo 98 is a occupying the same page the Cuban Petit once held.

So I guess the real question is..."Which variety do we have? The Cuban Petit or the Criollo 98?...or are they the same?

Good question. And I have no idea. I'll ask. I'm still waiting on an answer about the Dark Virginian being Shirey, and a couple other things. I haven't been able to get in touch with him this last week. He may be traveling. He was born in Turkey and goes there and to Greece a couple times a year. Someone processes his orders while he is gone but e-mails don't get answered until he is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.