Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello-Another from Central Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris A

Hello to All-

I stumbled onto this forum and have been trolling for a couple months. Love all the good info available. I have never grown tobacco but will be giving it a try this season on a limited basis to see what I can do.

I tinkered with rolling my own cigars ~10 years ago but failed miserably. I was thrilled to find some of this old tobacco still in great shape in my Coolerdor & started rolling again. I am basically a golf course cigar smoker, not too much more.

Have always liked trying to do it myself-like many here I brew beer, built my golf clubs, built my last two electric guitars. Not that I'm better than the pros, but I can do it cheaper and to my personal specs!

Just bought a couple lbs of Don's tobacco. Hope to not annoy anyone too much with questions going forward. When I have something to add to the conversation I will, but frankly my knowledge is quite limited.

Nice to meet everyone.

Chris

johnlee1933

Founding Member
WELCOME to FTT Chris. Glad to have another DYI guy on board. I ran a small golf club business using Golfsmith parts and training a few years back. I found out teaching a better swing often replaced the need for "special" clubs. I flew to Austin a couple of times. Good fun.

I smoke cigars exclusively and have been rolling my own for about two years. It takes a while to get good smoking cigars and a while longer to have then look presentable. I have been growing (read that trying to grow) for three. I am now getting some pretty good leaf and will cut my variety count to four this year plus a couple for the "grow out" seed bank.

You will find a great deal of growing knowledge here. Your two cents will be a welcome addition. We kid about a bit but I have found there was always a hand available when I need one.

How much space are you going devote to tobacco? Do you do other gardening? What kind of cigars to you like when you do smoke one?

Again, Welcome to our Merry Band

John

leverhead

Welcome! Elbow your way in, you'll find a place. As one of us learns something, it seems we all do. It takes some of the pains out of the failures and makes the successes that much better.

Rayshields

Welcome Chris A, I live about 100 miles West of the Illinois-Missouri border about the same latitude as Springfield. I lived in Chicago for 1 1/2 years in the 70's. I envy that central and Northern Illinois soil. If you have that going for you, you have a head start on many of us. Happy growing/rolling.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you come to the right place for info. concerning r.y.o. cigars,

thiers some very avid cigar makers on here,

smgorden

Found this thread when searching for folks from Illinois. Greetings! I'm trying to sort out how to cultivate my first garden crop this year. Do you have growing plans for 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.