Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

starving plants for flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
So part of the equation would be how quickly the plant absorbs the nitrogen. But if one were to purchase a fertilizer say, like feather meal which releases its nitrogen very slowly (between 6 and 9 months), would this still cause problems?
I don't know the whole answer. I use cotton seed meal for slow N release. The plants grew very well. Since I am a relatively new amateur cigar roller I don't know if the burn rate is good or bad. I am satisfied but I am a "take a few puffs and leave it till later smoker." I have had no complaints from the folks I've had test my smokes.

Hope this helps.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
So if anyone smokes tobacco for the nicotene and desires a very high level as it is a neural stimulant then fertilizer high in nitrogen is good. I feel strangely . . . stimulated.

So part of the equation would be how quickly the plant absorbs the nitrogen. But if one were to purchase a furtilizer, say, like feather meal which releases its nitrogen very slowly (between 6 and 9 months), would this still cause problems?

This is my first year growing tobacco, but I grew up on a farm. My advice would be to get a soil test. Write on the package that you are growing tobacco. If you want high nicotine, there are varieties with enough nicotine to kill you or send you into a coma if you smoke too much. Grow some of that and blend down. Personally I hope this new trend the kids have started about high nicotine dies out pretty quick. (It's bound to, if you know what I mean)

PlantTeacher

lol. Thanks for the advice, Knucklehead. I'll look into that. I smoke until I start getting dizzy.

Although I enjoy smoking, I do it for the improved cognitive benefit first and have noticed a significant improvement in my creativity.

I do stop after I begin to feel dizzy. Was not aware that there was a high nicotine trend at all. (Of course I just now noticed that I spelled it 'nicotene.' Probably having been doing that the whole time.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
the thing with nicotine is that when you are new to it you feel that, so if you go to the high strength stuff you will feel it again, but then your body will get used to it and you wont feel it again, eventually you wont feel anything until you get to the ld50 point of throwing up and feeling nauseous and still dont get that buzz.

don't chase the nicotine dragon... try to keep your tolerance low so you still enjoy it.

everyone wants the high test stuff that comes new to this, and you'll eventually be disappointed. go for flavor and really enjoyable smokes and you will always be satisfied.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Although I enjoy smoking, I do it for the improved cognitive benefit first and have noticed a significant improvement in my creativity.

LOL. It worked for the Beatles, but I don't think it was tobacco. In Deluxestogie's 2012 Grow Blog, he grew a very high nicotine plant. I think it was Sacred Cornplanter. It an N. Rustica rather than an N. tabacum variety. He tried a cigar of it straight and describes the sweating, etc. Read it and send him a PM, he can advise you on plants high in nicotine without having to artificially manipulate it through excess nitrogen or other methods. Also ask him where to get the seeds. And, the higher leaf positions of any plant are higher in nicotine.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...Sacred Cornplanter. It an N. Rustica rather than an N. tabacum variety....send him a PM...
No need for a PM. While the Cornplanter field-cured mud lugs were strong, the final leaf, after kilning, is comparable to BB's Burley red tips in nicotine--pretty robust. Perhaps Cornplanter is not typical for rustica. (That speaks well of Chief Cornplanter's taste.) Besides, N. rustica always seems to have an off taste to me. Of course, Native Americans back then did not have the option of growing the much nicer N. tabacum varieties.

Bob

PlantTeacher

Boboro, they put a lot of stuff in cigarettes and I wouldn't touch them.

Knucklehead, thanks for the advise. I actually found some sacred conrplanter seeds a few weeks ago and will be buying them eventually. I will do that. Once I get heating mat for plant germination and a bit more cash for more seeds. (Stephen King was writing ten pages a day before he quite smoking and now he struggles writing three.) I have located seven or eight places for seeds myself besides Seedman, including 62 species for 144 bucks which is what I'll be doing. I'll him (that is, you Deluxestogie if you're reading this) before I make that order.

Smokesahoy, thanks for the advice. However if I get a buzz or not doesn't really matter to me. I have experienced nausea without a buzz twice, but I don't go past this. I decided to smoke 5 days a week just within the last month for a specific reason that actually would seem very mundane. Someone in our karate class is advancing at a very rapid pace and catching up to the core group of people (myself included) while attending half the time. And this with very little practice outside of class. I don't mind her passing everyone else as long as I'm not in the "everyone else" category. And yes, I have been practicing more, but there's only so many hours in a day.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
There is a list of seed vendors in the Tobacco Growing FAQ's, located on the header at the top of the page. The FAQ's are a must read.

jekylnz

I know some people stress plants out to make them yield,I dont know about effecting flavor tho,but that tends to be to make it flower or produce more thc with cannabis,cause the plant thinks its going to die.so it produces more thc to become tackier to attract pollin to reproduce before its dead.but dont know if this theory would work with bacci.as it doesnt produce nicotine to attract pollin ...does it???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.