Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dr. Bob's multi purpose curing chamber in planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBob

Founding Member
Yeah, I like those thermometers. Am going to get a couple of those for my flue-cure chamber.

I like the way you think lefty. I think they will do a satisfactory job and they dont cost too much. I grow tobacco to save money plain and simple. Money not spent is money earned

DrBob

Founding Member
I hear that. Lincoln's head is permanently embossed on my thumb from pinching pennies.

I like the way you think too. This growing tobacco deal has proven to be a real money saver for me. 2 cigarette smokers in the house $6.75 a pack adds up in a hurry! we easily save $4000.00 a year No kidding! I used to smoke a couple of packs of factory smokes a day, now I smoke about 3/4 pack homegrown, just dont seem as much of a craving anymore. Now when I get that pipe I won't need to buy tubes as much $2.49 a carton for tubes add up.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I hear that. Lincoln's head is permanently embossed on my thumb from pinching pennies.
People say "How can you afford dinner out, a new tool, a new toy, etc. on your income?" I tell them "It's cause I don't pee it away on $8/pack smokes, Big Mac's, Starbucks." They say "But we like them." And you pay for that. I make/cook/liberate most of what I consume. If I could find a cheap source of flour,dried milk, beans, cheese, sugar,salt, lard and butter I'd be golden.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Try some BSS-Maden straight up in a pipe. It's awesome!

I cut way back when I got off commercial cigarettes, I think I was more addicted to the chemicals than the nicotine. I've swapped from one commercial brand to another with no problem, but when I switched to whole leaf I still craved the commercial sticks. Had to be the chemicals.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The cheap electronic temp/humidity remotes from Walmart max their ambient operating range at 150ºF for the best of them. And I agree that, even at humble kiln temp and humidity, they crap-out fairly quickly. (And alkaline batteries tend to ooze caustic goo into the device when kept at 125ºF.) If placed into a flue-cure chamber, it would have to be physically removed before the stem-drying phase, and would require opening the chamber to do that--a process that would suddenly alter the temp and humidity ramping.

I think the proposed matched meat thermometers, or grill thermometers, one with a wick, is the way to go.

Bob

DrBob

Founding Member
The cheap electronic temp/humidity remotes from Walmart max their ambient operating range at 150ºF for the best of them. And I agree that, even at humble kiln temp and humidity, they crap-out fairly quickly. (And alkaline batteries tend to ooze caustic goo into the device when kept at 125ºF.) If placed into a flue-cure chamber, it would have to be physically removed before the stem-drying phase, and would require opening the chamber to do that--a process that would suddenly alter the temp and humidity ramping.

I think the proposed matched meat thermometers, or grill thermometers, one with a wick, is the way to go.

Bob

I like the way you think I am frugal

DrBob

Founding Member
66aa9cd9-2bfd-4d71-9cfe-19c1ce0e5e75_300.jpg
I found this insulation, it is available from home depot, it is self adhesive foam with a reflective coating. The r value is 3 and it would work well to insulate my ductwork on the circulation loop. The cost is about $18.00 for a 15 square foot roll which should be plenty.

DonH

People say "How can you afford dinner out, a new tool, a new toy, etc. on your income?" I tell them "It's cause I don't pee it away on $8/pack smokes, Big Mac's, Starbucks." They say "But we like them." And you pay for that. I make/cook/liberate most of what I consume. If I could find a cheap source of flour,dried milk, beans, cheese, sugar,salt, lard and butter I'd be golden.

you might want to check out local food co-ops. We joined one in our town and you get discounts based on how much everyone orders. We joined one and then stocked up on 25 pound bags of beans, rice, sugar, salt, oats, flour, etc. very cheap but this was before the recent food price increases. The nice thing is the distributor's truck would pull up at a location in town and there would be no charge for shipping even with all that weight.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
you might want to check out local food co-ops. We joined one in our town and you get discounts based on how much everyone orders. We joined one and then stocked up on 25 pound bags of beans, rice, sugar, salt, oats, flour, etc. very cheap but this was before the recent food price increases. The nice thing is the distributor's truck would pull up at a location in town and there would be no charge for shipping even with all that weight.
I checked it out. Nothing in CT I qualify for. Thanks anyway.

DrBob

Founding Member
a year and 5 months have passed and 1 tobacco crop destroyed by hail and the next crop drowned by rain and I have lost all interest in flue curing. I still have the parts to make a flue curing chamber but now I am thinking that I will turn it into a food dehydrator instead. What the heck!! I will just buy flue cured baccy

Status
Not open for further replies.