Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

FAQ about Turkish tobaccos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
On the Turkish Izmir, I primed them at snap. #1 on that chart. The color was as posted- With a green tint to the leaf at cure. The flavor was very good and mixed well with the cig. blends. I tried it in cigars as well as pipe blends. I prefer to blend in the cig. and pipe alone catagory. Tast was off for Me on cigars.

garryricketson

Went thru the entire thread, did not find this question,. , What oriental, or turkish has the highest nicotine content ? Thanks,
ahh, PS, interesting thread though too,...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For high nicotine, you might try Trebzon, a Samsun-type that is notoriously potent. Most Orientals are renowned for their smoothness and low nicotine.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
Yes, Trabzon is high in nicotine but it may disappoint you if you're looking for a typical "Oriental" taste. It was used for adding extra nicotine in all-Turkish cigarette blends and cigar blends (along with imported/domestic cigar and even with Turkish tobaccos) in the past. Today, nobody grows it commercially because both imported and domestically grown high nicotine varieties cost less, e.g. Burley.
Although I prefer low nicotine "classic Oriental" tobaccos, Trabzon is a good alternative for "nicotine lovers". It does not choke up your throat like a Burley, easy to smoke (relatively), but may cause dizziness when smoked alone. Irrigation and fertilization increases its nicotine content, up to a certain point, which is permissive for this variety.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I never quite know how to spell "Trabzon." During Byzantine times, the city was referred to as Trapisond and Trebizond. I guess I need to look at a contemporary map.

0211-tra-webSURFmap_wide.jpg

Bob

Last edited:

skychaser

Bob, Do you know what the actual nicotine content is? Grin lists some chemical analysis for it, but not the nic content. I haven't come across any orientals with a nic content over 2.5%. Personally, I don't consider that very high. I'm growing Trabzon this year, along with about a dozen other orientals.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Let me help, it was spelled "Trebizond" (in Eng.) in the past. You did have a problem with Yenice the other day, anyway.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes! Trapezus. Thank you. I couldn't put my finger on the early Greek name. It became the Kingdom of Trebizond when the Comnenus (can't remember which one) Emperor fled to Trapezus from Byzantium under the onslaught of the 4th Crusade (whose righteous leaders thought more riches were to be had by conquering Eastern Christendom, than by having the bother of traveling all the way to the Holy Lands).

It's surprising how little most Americans know about Trabzon/Trebizond/Trapezus, since that city was the western terminus of the famous Silk Road, that originated in China, wandered thousands of miles through Asia, into Bactria (in northern Afghanistan), and on to the Black Sea coast at Trapezus. For many hundreds of years, Trabzon was Europe's "Factory Outlet Store" for everything Oriental.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
... It became the Kingdom of Trebizond when the Comnenus (can't remember which one) Emperor fled to Trapezus from Byzantium under the onslaught of the 4th Crusade (whose righteous leaders thought more riches were to be had by conquering Eastern Christendom, than by having the bother of traveling all the way to the Holy Lands). ...

Actually, the 4th Crusade ruined Constantinople and led to establish the Latin Empire and successor states of Byzantine Empire where the Comnenus Dynasty retrated (e.g. Trebizond). After only 40 years, Empire of Trebizond became a vassal state of the Mongol Empire (Ilkhanate). Actually who did not, those times.

winston-smoker

Yet the "Empire of Trebizond" managed to outlast the Palaeologos-ruled "reestablished" Byzantine Empire (1261-1453) by eight years, lasting until 1461.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Had they only been able to hang on another 60 years or so, the peasants might have been able to sit back and have a good smoke, while they watched the palaces of the elite being sacked.

Bob

garryricketson

Ok, thanks, on that,..since I have been told that probably orientals would do better in my area/conditions, that is why my interest, and the Bursa I planted sure is doing well, at least compared to the Rustica,..
@skychaser, I used to live in central Washington, near Ellensburg, Yakima, worked in a apple orchard there, for almost 5 years,

istanbulin

Founding Member
Q4: What are the comparative leaf sizes of Turkish tobaccos ?

Leaves of the most Turkish tobaccos are smaller, actually tiny when compared to American varieties. Besides this, there're few large leafed varieties too.

According to long term sampling works, a size chart was created* for various Turkish tobaccos. Here it is.

VarietyWidth
cm (inch)
Length
cm (inch)
Verbally
İzmir5-7 (2-2.8)5-12 (2-4.7)Small - Moderately medium
Düzce5-7.5 (2-3)10-15 (3.9-5.9)Moderately small - Medium
Trabzon15-20 (5.9-7.9)20-50 (7.9-19.7)Large
Samsun Maden3.5-5.5 (1.4-2.2)7-17 (2.8-6.7)Small
Bursa6.5-10 (2.6-3.9)10-15 (3.9-5.9)Moderately small - Medium
Agonya - Balıkesir8.5-14.5 (3.3- 5.7)15-25 (5.9-9.8)Medium - Moderately small
Taşova6-12 (2.4-4.7)12-20 (4.7-7.9)Medium
Samsun Canik3-4 (1.2-1.6)7-12 (2.8-4.7)Small
Bitlis4.5-11.5 (1.8-4.5)15-25 (5.9-9.8)Medium
Gümüşhacıköy - Xanthi2.5-5.5 (1-2.2)3-6.5 (1.2-2.6)Small
Yayladağ8-10 (3.1-3.9)15-25 (5.9-9.8)Medium - Moderately Large
Adıyaman - Çelikhan6.5-12 (2.6-4.7)20-32 (7.9-12.6)Medium - Moderately Large
Bucak12-15 (4.7-5.9)35-40 (13.8-15.7)Large

<tbody>
</tbody>

* By measuring main leaves (middle position).

The most discussed variety about its size in the forum is, as far as I can see, Bursa. Average dimensions (width x length) of Bursa is 8.25 x 12.5 cm (3.2 x 4.9 inches) and average dimensions (width x length) of İzmir is 6 x 8.5 cm (2.4 x 3.3 inches). So actually Bursa is, averagely, 2.25 cm (0.9") longer and 4 cm (1.6") wider than İzmir.
These given dimesions were taken from traditionally grown plants so when they're grown more wide apart (or excessively irrigated, fertilized etc.) these dimensional gaps between the varieties may increase. The ratio may remain stable but I haven't performed (or seen) any measurements for that. If you have, you may inform.

This comparative image* may help you to form an opinion about the leaf sizes of some Turkish varieties.

tablo.jpg

* Images belong to cured/dried leaves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.