Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: Tell me about float tray systems

I'm using Miracle Grow mix this year in my float tray, last year it was the tobacco "soil" from BigBonner. They seem identical and so far this year my plants are doing fine.

BigBonner, After the last couple of years using the odd 6-9 cells or cups, a single piece 72 cell that lets the roots extend out sounds appealing. I transplanted a bunch of my hotbed plants into my plot and they started taking off, It will be interesting to see how they catch up to the greenhouse grown. That dibble board was slick!

JBD, No stores nearby carry the miracle grow compost, only potting soil which might not work in the float tray, and I had to mix with peat.
    BarG

I had good success with the float trays this year. Two things I would do different are, I would build my float boxes smaller, 2' x 3' was too big. (1x6's were fine, you don't need 2" stuff) Second thing I would do different is seed directly into the cells like Randy did. There was no need to start the seed somewhere else and transplant. 3 seed to a cell and thin later would be fine. They can stay in the cells until ready for transplant with the occasional haircut to keep them even and from overgrowing the cells. You can get a TDS meter from ebay for about $25.00. I used Hanna brand. BigB uses the same brand, but his was a lot higher in cost. Mine seems to work just fine for the home grower. I got 20-10-20 urea free water soluble fertilizer from here:http://search.cartserver.com/search/...more+urea+free Shipping for one jar was $13.00 or $18.00 for two jars, so I went ahead and bought two, due to shipping. $8.95 per jar for the fertilizer, 1-1/4 lbs.

Another advantage of the float trays is maintenance. Check the fertilizer with a meter every now and give them a haircut when they're shading the other plants. They float on the water and fertilizer so you don't have to worry about drying out. The soil wicks the right amount of water and fertilizer to the plants. Check fertilizer, haircut and watch for disease and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarG View Post
    JBD, No stores nearby carry the miracle grow compost, only potting soil which might not work in the float tray, and I had to mix with peat.
    The stuff I'm using is called Miracle Grow Seed Starting Potting Mix ( I think). It is sold everywhere, Lowes, Home Depot etc. It is just peat moss with slow release fertilizer added to it and a wetting agent. Tobacco float tray soil is the same thing although I believe it has a few extra micro nutrients added to it.

Here's what it looks like: Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Miracle-Gr...g-Mix/19581219 Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1005824...9#.UWb_NNfD_hc If they don't have it in stock, you can order on the internet and have free ship-to-store. You'll get an e-mail when it's at the store and they'll have it waiting for you to pick up.

my float trays are doing good, using them as normal soil seed starting trays,,,,

i did my '' yard plants/flowers... in '' them, and they are full of vegetation,
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Are you guys using the miracle gro mix in float trays ?

JBD is using the Miracle Grow Seed Starting Potting Mix . I'm using the stuff I got from BigB with the trays. JBD says the stuff he got is working great.

Last year I tried making my own float Trays with styrofoam they didn't work. (Wrong soil) this year I'll experiment again with miracle gro, but I'm going to buy starts from big Bonner. The starts I got from him last year we're perfect. The big gem was 7-8 feet tall 30" x 20" leaves & I found out my growing season is so long I could buy his last starts and still get two sucker crops after the first harvest. Every plant he sent me grew out except the one a worm cut off at the ground.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast