Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Re: Tell me about float tray systems

Water from the bottom.
    A new start...

I agree. Water from the bottom, wait until the water has wicked up the soil column before adding seed or plants to the moist soil. Watering from the top can compress the soil and cause spiral root later on. It took three days for my soil to completely moisturize from the bottom to the top. I think it was left over at the store from last year and was dry as a bone to start with.

hey thank you, ok so I will put the trays on water 3 or 4 days before I move the plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    I think it was left over at the store from last year and was dry as a bone to start with.
    Store bought "seedling mix" usually has a wetting agent added to it such as Polysorbate 20. After about a year's time the wetting agent evaporates so what you are left with is a seedling mix that takes days to absorb water instead of a few hours.

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude View Post
    Anyone use these? The problem I'm having is trying to find a "tray" for the float tray to set in and float. I'll probably end up (tonight) making a wooden box and seal it with beeswax/paraffin to make it water tight. Any ideas for a container? I have 3- 72 cell trays.

Randy B
    You can make a wood frame wider than the trays all set inside. Then line it with bisquin with some sand under it to protect the plastic from a hole. Then fold it over and staple it to the wood. A 2x6 will do the trick around it. You can put a stick with water level marks to see when to add water. I have a pond pump I will use next year to keep the water moving.

I could be wrong but, I believe in float trays for tobacco you don't want a constant water movement, that will lead to more evaporation.

You definately do not want a pump running. The roots extend quite far down through the float tray and into the water. I made my float tray box out of some 2x8's and plywood and coated the inside with beeswax

Taking a break

Cool Re: Tell me about float tray systems

WOW! Thanks Guys, I fig. You had to have movement in the water.Cool- I never used them and figured I would give it a shot next year. I'm going to use the buisquin. I made water tanks like that for temp farm animals and it works great. I can see the roots on the post BigBonner posted. And see what the problem would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude View Post
    Store bought "seedling mix" usually has a wetting agent added to it such as Polysorbate 20. After about a year's time the wetting agent evaporates so what you are left with is a seedling mix that takes days to absorb water instead of a few hours.
    as anyone waited more than 6 days to the mix to absorb water? mine is in the 6 day now and I still waiting

I think there is something wrong with your "soil" mix. I used dryed out peat moss this year and it took 2 full days to soak up the water. Is this the soil that is in your float tray, floating in water?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast