Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Founding Member

Tell me about float tray systems

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude View Post
    Anyone use these? The problem I'm having is trying to find a "tray" for the float tray to set in and float. I'll probably end up (tonight) making a wooden box and seal it with beeswax/paraffin to make it water tight. Any ideas for a container? I have 3- 72 cell trays.

Randy B

Take a 2 X6 and cut to the size of your tray . Nail it together to form a frame around the tray . You can put a plywood bottom to it or , like we do , lay it on the ground and then lay plastic sheeting in the bottom and overlaping the sides like a swimming pool .put 3 inches of water in it on a level surface . Then float tray .

Randy,
    I've seen shallow plastic "tubs" that are marketed for storing things under a bed. Probably generic brand.

Bob
    Last edited by deluxestogie; 03-15-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Well, last night it was a 2 x 6 and a piece of plywood. I coated the inside with beeswax just for the hell of it.

Hi,
    I am new here and want to ask if this floating tray system is used for any particular reasons versus other seed propagation methods ?
    I have never grown tobacco before and only heard that the seed is almost invisable to the naked eye.

I will spend some time reading here soon and hope to find my way thanks to your postings!

D

Bigbonner will have to weigh in on this but I think the big commercial growers use them because of the ease of use, low mortality of the transplants and planting time and reduction in overall costs. I really don't see the need for them for the average back yard tobacco grower. I'm trying them out this year because I always have to be experimenting with something!
    Randy B

Banned

I agree with jitterbug. For folks like Larry that are growing acres of tobacco and thousands of plants per acre. They have to have some way to start all those plants. The space used for each individual plant becomes a big issue when you are talking about hundreds of thousands of plants. So a method of growing thousands of plants in a very tiny spcae per plant (some float trays have as many as 200 cells per tray) and the float system is one way of doing that. IT also effectively deals with many other side issues. Feeding for example. Weeds are drastically reduced. The seedlings are also already in a package that can then be placed on the planter and handled so they can be planted. I am fairly sure Larry woudl love to be able to start his plants with nothing but the concern of starting healthy plants. But the truth is he has a lot of things that must work together. The end result must be a start that is heatlhy and can withstand the process of being passed through a machine to be planted. Hardly the same process we can use when growing a few dozen starts that we can actually spend time dusting off the individual leaves. It is hardly the "Best" way to start a plant. But it is the Best way to start thousands of plants. get them moved and to a field and pump them through a machine and still end up with living growing organisms. The same is true for you. The best system for you is the one that meets your needs and still produces the healthiest sprout. It will be effected by how many plants you grow, how much space you have. what type of lighting you have available and. One of my sprouts is as big as 4 of Larry's at 6 weeks of age. Larry thinks my plants are to pampered. Wait until he finds out I water them with perrie and my fertilizing crew delivers dinner on silver trays wearing tuxedos. That is a joke but it is very comparable to the detailed care a gardener can give a plant and mechanized mega scale issues a farmer must overcome.

Founding Member

A home grower can handle a couple hundred easily with out the float system . You can also sew outside tobacco beds . Pull the plants when you are ready to field plant .

Pampered maybe . I can grow a average of 170 plants in a 13.5" X 26.5" area . They may not be as pretty as a pot grown plant but here is what they will look like when ready for harvest .
    This is CT Broad Leaf

Don did a excelent post on starving plants of water . This is true . I like to cut the water out from under my float plants a few days sometimes a week before planting . This may yellow the plants tuffens them up . When I mow ( Trim ) the large leaves off the plants this also tuffens the up so when they are planted they take off growing .
    When we plant tobacco the plants are hand fed into the transplanter one at a time . Brickle green plants will snap off above the rootline , tuffen plants won't break so easy .

Is there a specific time when I begin to fertilize my float tray tobacco? For instance, do you automatically start fertilizing a certain amount of days after sprouting?

Randy B

Founding Member

Was the soil fortified with fertilizer ?

If so then you should add fertilizer to the water at 2 weeks or a few days less .
    If not then you should and a small amount at seeding .

It was the soil you sent me along with the float trays. If I had to guess I would say it has fertilizer already mixed in.
    If it does have fertilizer already in the "soil" do I have to add anymore before planting outside 6 weeks or so from now?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast