Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tell me about float tray systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Why not float them Chicken? Just add your seeds, float the tray and 8 weeks later plant them into your garden.

i did a little research on them,

and floating them / vs/ my '' area'' i .. dont think it would work,

i gotta keep my young seedling's in a enclosed greenhouse,

> i got roaming animals in my yard, that eat young seedling's.

Markw

Thanks leverhead they look nice root trainer trays. I used some like that this year and they grew well in them and the roots came out of the bottom. they worked much better that the smaller pots in the picture they were also split cells that helped,

Larry many thanks for that information on the float depth of the trays that is what i needed to know. All I need now is to sort out the wicking compost as they don't sell it over here.

Many thanks

Markw

TB3.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
. All I need now is to sort out the wicking compost as they don't sell it over here.
QUOTE]

It is mostly peat moss with a little bit of vermiculite and/or pearlite added to it. The "real tobacco soiless mix" also has a small dose of fertilizer mix in to it.

leverhead

I used 50/50 Peat Moss/ Vermiculite, I sifted the peat through a screen that had about 3/16 (2.5mm) openings. I mixed it in a small trash bag, then sprayed it with enough water to hold it's shape when squeezed into a ball. I put the bag in the sun to warm it up, to speed up the moisture absorption. I used plain water for the first week, then I added the fertilizer mix. Otherwise you'll just be feeding algae.

Just an off the wall question. When do you start your seeds?

BarG

Founding Member
BigBonner, I'm going to have to try the float trays next year in my greenhouse. Do you mix the wicking soil yourself or buy it?

BigBonner

Founding Member
BarG

It is a commercial mix for tobacco . Years ago when float trays were invented and the soil was not perfected . The soil was causing alot of problems in the float bed systems . Mainly it was spiral root and farmers packing the soil too tightly in the float trays .

I have alot of soil left over . I purchased way too much this year .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm using Miracle Grow mix this year in my float tray, last year it was the tobacco "soil" from BigBonner. They seem identical and so far this year my plants are doing fine.

BarG

Founding Member
BigBonner, After the last couple of years using the odd 6-9 cells or cups, a single piece 72 cell that lets the roots extend out sounds appealing. I transplanted a bunch of my hotbed plants into my plot and they started taking off, It will be interesting to see how they catch up to the greenhouse grown. That dibble board was slick!

JBD, No stores nearby carry the miracle grow compost, only potting soil which might not work in the float tray, and I had to mix with peat.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I had good success with the float trays this year. Two things I would do different are, I would build my float boxes smaller, 2' x 3' was too big. (1x6's were fine, you don't need 2" stuff) Second thing I would do different is seed directly into the cells like Randy did. There was no need to start the seed somewhere else and transplant. 3 seed to a cell and thin later would be fine. They can stay in the cells until ready for transplant with the occasional haircut to keep them even and from overgrowing the cells. You can get a TDS meter from ebay for about $25.00. I used Hanna brand. BigB uses the same brand, but his was a lot higher in cost. Mine seems to work just fine for the home grower. I got 20-10-20 urea free water soluble fertilizer from here:http://search.cartserver.com/search...axhits=&bool=AND&keywords=grow+more+urea+free Shipping for one jar was $13.00 or $18.00 for two jars, so I went ahead and bought two, due to shipping. $8.95 per jar for the fertilizer, 1-1/4 lbs.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Another advantage of the float trays is maintenance. Check the fertilizer with a meter every now and give them a haircut when they're shading the other plants. They float on the water and fertilizer so you don't have to worry about drying out. The soil wicks the right amount of water and fertilizer to the plants. Check fertilizer, haircut and watch for disease and that's it.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
JBD, No stores nearby carry the miracle grow compost, only potting soil which might not work in the float tray, and I had to mix with peat.

The stuff I'm using is called Miracle Grow Seed Starting Potting Mix ( I think). It is sold everywhere, Lowes, Home Depot etc. It is just peat moss with slow release fertilizer added to it and a wetting agent. Tobacco float tray soil is the same thing although I believe it has a few extra micro nutrients added to it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my float trays are doing good, using them as normal soil seed starting trays,,,,

i did my '' yard plants/flowers... in '' them, and they are full of vegetation,

Knucklehead

Founding Member
JBD is using the Miracle Grow Seed Starting Potting Mix . I'm using the stuff I got from BigB with the trays. JBD says the stuff he got is working great.

workhorse_01

Last year I tried making my own float Trays with styrofoam they didn't work. (Wrong soil) this year I'll experiment again with miracle gro, but I'm going to buy starts from big Bonner. The starts I got from him last year we're perfect. The big gem was 7-8 feet tall 30" x 20" leaves & I found out my growing season is so long I could buy his last starts and still get two sucker crops after the first harvest. Every plant he sent me grew out except the one a worm cut off at the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.