Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Tell me about float tray systems

very informative thread indeed.

i delivered a load of fertilizer, to a peanut farm, and they had thier float trays, from the watermelons, in the '' SCRAP PILE, so i grabbed me 5 of them,

they look like they hold 100+ seedlings,

plenty for what i do,<!!!!!

so next year, im gonna be doing the float tray system

i figure, i can either build a water box, or, get a '' kiddie pool'' and let them float in it,????

i gotta come up, with a redneck idea, to make the water system?????
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Chicken, Make sure you sanitize those trays real good. Farmers usually throw them away after a few years because the Styrofoam really holds on to bacteria etc. You can Google the best way to do it. One of the usual recommendations is to soak them in a Clorox/water solution. I use peroxide. Another thing to remember when working with float trays is to never let them touch the soil. When you go to transplant next year, set the tray on a piece of wood or tarp... and keep them out of the sun so they so not degrade. Also, make sure you use a "soiless mix" that has been discussed before. Something like peat, pearlite and vermiculite.

i didnt google it, but i went on you-tube, and YAHOO,

but didnt get much info,

i kinda wish i'd have grabbed about 5-10 more of them<

but the '' empty'' trailer will be there. to be picked up, or perhaps, i'll visit there again,???

but i got 5... and those will work perfect<

Try this.... http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/id/id132/id132.htm

You also might want to start looking for a DIST-4 meter. You use this to make sure you are adding the correct amount of fert to your water solution. I tested 3 different brands of fert this past spring. Miracle Grow, Peter's and I forgot the 3rd one. All 3 said to add 1 Tablespoon per gallon water. When I did that, my meter almost went off the scale and was way higher than the levels recommended by the Ag people. According to my meter, the proper fert level is 1 teaspoon per gallon. I do not know what would have happened if I used the tablespoon dose though. One more thing, start looking for a water soluble 20-10-20 type fert that contains micronutrients and does NOT contain urea... hard to come by these days.

Randy B

is that the same type, of meter, that you use to check the water, on a hydrophonic system?

did you try your floats?

and how did they work for you?

i cant afford a failure, i know i can grow them sucessfully with plastic trays,

new things like this allways spook me, because i know, if i dont dial in the fert's in the water, it aint going to work, and possiblly kill everything...

i may do a experiment with just one tray,,

or possiblly just use the float tray,,,, as a normal seedling tray,???

This year I didn't use a float tray system, but a wick type. The trays were 72 cell, each cell was 1 1/2" square by a little over 2" deep, the medium was 50/50 peat/vermiculite. I was focusing on Flue Cured type tobacco and used this guide for how much of what to put in the water.

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/Production_Guide...flue_cured.pdf

The amounts were small, so I used a reloading scale with units in Grains and figured everything in Gr (Grains) / Gallon of water. The materials I used were pretty off the wall, but the recipe worked well for me.

13.6 Gr Miracle-Gro 18-18-21

12.7 Gr Grant's stump remover (Potassium Nitrate 13-0-46)

8.8 Gr Ammonium Nitrate (From instant cold packs)

17.5 Gr Epsom salts

1.1 Gr Borax

At four weeks, I gave them 15.7 Gr/Gal of Ammonium Nitrate. I was using a Gallon per tray and would add water to a mark on the bottom trays to make up for evaporation. I started the seeds on plain water and added the fertilizer mix after a week.

It all worked well for me, the only thing I'm changing next year is to get deeper growing trays.

ive allways shyed away from doing anything hydrophonically,

i am more of a soil type person,

im gonna use the trays, as if they were plastic dirt trays,

and grow them the way i normally do, using soil,

..allthough i will use them,, it's just everytime i hear about hydro growing,

it just put's me in left field, i cant get a concept, on the idea???

Chicken, I had trouble getting my head around a lot of this hydroponics at first. But there a tons of videos on youtube (mainly mary Jane growers) showing set ups and plans/diagrams of set ups. Some look complex and offers look a piece of cake. Im gonna be using the ebb and flow/flood and drain system myself next year as its the easiest to set up, plus im only growing around 50 plants its the most cost effective as i have most of the stuff needed from my old fish tank.
    The line between what is known scientifically and what has to be assumed in order to support knowledge is impossible to draw. Memory itself is an internal rumour;
    twitter: @uktobaccogrower

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
    is that the same type, of meter, that you use to check the water, on a hydrophonic system?

did you try your floats?

and how did they work for you?

?
    I'm not sure if hydroponics uses the same type meter but they probably do. It's a Total Dissolved Solids Meter (TDS).
    Yes I used my float tray last year. The only problem I had if you want to call it a problem is my plants grew extremely fast. It seemed I was clipping them every other day. I used the 72 cell tray and couldn't imagine using anything bigger like a 200 cell.

i took a pic of the float trays i got,

but right now, im loading my kiln, and taking a break,

stepping in there, is like being in a jungle,

im colling off, and drinking a cold one,

the kiln is impressive, you'll have to wait for the pics.

i have designed the perfect tobacco barn.
    for flue -curing baccy

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast