Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tell me about float tray systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It's not the regular Miracle Grow Potting Mix, it's the Miracle Grow Seed Starting Potting Mix.

jekylnz

EVALUATION OF FLOAT TRAYS WITH HIGH CELL NUMBERS ON STAND COUNTS AND YIELDS IN A CLOSE-GROWN TOBACCO PRODUCTION SYSTEMhttp://www.tobaccoscienceonline.org/doi/pdf/10.3381/10-005.1
It's actually quite good to read about some trials that have been done before about closer spacing. .I've been discussing this with springheal (phil) for the last few days..as we have quite limited space..last year I grew them close (v.g) some as close as15cm..and still got good leaf as the plants work around each other..so this year I'm trying a number of growing distances on all different types..even wrapper types. .so I'll see how things turn out at the end of this growattachment-8.jpeg

forumdotabaco

I will be looking for compost for my float trays in a few days I need some advise
from what I understood the right compost for float trays is mainly pure peat moss mixed with vermiculite or Perlite right?
nothing else? should I ad some Earthworm humus to the mix?
I my mind the proper mix should be made of 75% pure peat moss + 25% of vermiculite am I right?

forumdotabaco

what kind of peat moss?
I have found several kinds available blond peat moss, dark peat moss, and Baltic peat moss

leverhead

what kind of peat moss?
I have found several kinds available blond peat moss, dark peat moss, and Baltic peat moss

I used Sphagnum peat moss. I don't think it really maters, unless something (fertilizer) has been added it's pretty much inert. I sift out the bigger twigs and lumps before using it.

forumdotabaco

ok , great, thank you
if you had to choose between with or without fertilizer what one would you choose?

forumdotabaco

hey leverhead just finished my mix, 2 gallons of uncompressed peat moss to alf a gallon of vermiculite
what do you think?

leverhead

hey leverhead just finished my mix, 2 gallons of uncompressed peat moss to alf a gallon of vermiculite
what do you think?

I would add another 1 1/2 gallons of vermiculite, I use equal parts of peat moss and vermiculite (50/50). If cost is a problem, use pearlite. I don't think pearlite holds any moisture, vermiculite does hold moisture. I think the only other thing that vermiculite or pearlite do in the peat moss, is to keep it from settling (packing) too much in the cells over the 6-8 weeks that seedlings are in there.

forumdotabaco

hi costs are not a problem, I'm just afraid we can be speaking about different particle sizes, can you post a pic of your mix please?

forumdotabaco

back, now I need another advise, are we supposed to water the trays from the top the first time? or I should just wait the moisture to go up?

Status
Not open for further replies.