Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The 2013 FTT Grow-out thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Knowing of no other double h occurring in the English language, I dropped one in the seed list.

Before anyone can prove me wrong...

List all words that contain hh
lg.php

45 words found.
aarrghh
bathhouse
bathhouses
beachhead
beachheads
fishhook
fishhooks
hashhead
hashheads
highhanded
highhandedly
highhandedness
highhandednesses
hitchhike
hitchhiked
hitchhiker
hitchhikers
hitchhikes
hitchhiking
overwithheld
overwithhold
overwithholding
overwithholds
roughhew
roughhewed
roughhewing
roughhewn
roughhews
roughhouse
roughhoused
roughhouses
roughhousing
shh
sleuthhound
sleuthhounds
touchhole
touchholes
washhouse
washhouses
withheld
withhold
withholder
withholders
withholding
withholds

...but Forchheimer aint one of 'em.

skychaser

Bob,

The "Costa Rica 589" came from Doug at the nicotiana project a couple year ago. That is how he had it listed. It's a nice tobacco, isn't it? Thanks for finding the prpoer name for it. :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Forchheim_map.jpg

Forchheim is an ancient city in Germany. The double "h" results from the combination of two separate words: forch (Old High German word vorha) [“pine”] and heim ["home"]. A noun for a person or thing that comes from Forchheim would be Forchheimer. I don't know the history of the tobacco variety, Forchheimer, but it could be either a variety developed in Germany, or an American variety developed by somebody of German heritage, named Forchheimer.

I pointed out in another thread that the envelope labels from ARS-GRIN are sometimes misspelled, when compared to GRIN's own spelling.

Rainmax displayed a photo of an ARS-GRIN envelope labeled "Gucharo." This would be pronounced goo-CHA-roh. Within the ARS-GRIN accession document, we find it is actually "Guácharo," the name of a Venezuelan bird, and would be pronounced WATCH-ah-roh, supposedly the sound made by that rare bird.

This kind of stuff makes me crazy, since the folks at ARS-GRIN didn't care enough to keep the name straight. And they were the keepers of the flame. Well, now we are.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
I thought I may have been reading wrong at first but I copyied it from the envelope. Regardless of the spelling till that is cleared up I started a batch from each variety today. So far the new green house has been doing its job on getting my 2013 seedlings started with no problems and less effort.

littlechikchik

Urban Gardener
Are there any restrictions on who can do a grow out and is it too late to offer assistance? I been too busy this past month with classes and work to check this.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
for the rare stuff we'd like to see how you followed through on your last grow.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
Are there any restrictions on who can do a grow out and is it too late to offer assistance? I been too busy this past month with classes and work to check this.

And... with that, Don, do you want non-tabacum varieties for the seedbank? I imagine that starts going a bit outside the scope of your project but thought I would offer.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
haha are you trying to give the man a heart attack? lol

And... with that, Don, do you want non-tabacum varieties for the seedbank? I imagine that starts going a bit outside the scope of your project but thought I would offer.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member

Actually, I was thinking about expanding the seed bank to include coconut palms. It would be unique to offer only the littlest and biggest seeds on earth.

I know, I know....orchid seeds are smaller than tobacco, but everyone doesn't knows that.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I submitted a proper request this time and Don was kind enough to send for grow out:
Mississippi Heirloom TI 1716 Observations
*Lonibow TI 1613 Observations
*Cordoba TI 197 Observations
I'm also growing out VA K326 obtained from TheTobaccoSeed Co. that's not in the FTT seed bank. I'll be sending in some seed from it.

BarG

Founding Member
for the rare stuff we'd like to see how you followed through on your last grow.

It improves each year. My last grow was no comparison to my first. Barg 2012 grow log but that will bore you to death. Except some fine baccy pics. My next grow....? I try to learn from mistakes. Most of which last year were in the seedling stage and germinating, of which I overcame. The year before it was in fertlizer, which was too late.That sucked. The FTT forum has addressed every problem I have had, with viable solutions.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Seed requests will be fulfilled using a single format this year. That format is...

Send $2 with your request, name, AND your address (Please write your name and address clearly. I will use this as the mailing label) to....

I submitted a proper request this time and Don was kind enough to send for grow out:

Funny how that works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.