Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The 2013 FTT Grow-out thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I thought it might be a good idea if we started a thread of what seeds are being "grown-out" for replenishment. It would be a shame if everyone picked the same varieties. So with that in mind, I've requested the following seeds for the FTT Seedbank grow out.

1. Chapeollo
2. Crillo Saltono.

List the varieties you plan to request for the grow out here.

Last edited by a moderator:

leverhead

Re: The FTT Grow-out thread

For my $.02, I'll put out one row for growing out seed. I can be a double row of 24 plants, in groups of two or three, 8-12 varieties. I want to pursue the Turkish/Orientals this year in a big way, so it could be more.

johnlee1933

Founding Member

I am sending requested seeds to the bank. Included with my request will be the offer to grow out any 2 varieties Don selects. -- J

Markw

Hi JBD what a good idea on a thread on what is being grown out. and John that is a good idea for Don to select what needs to be replenished. My seed donations to the bank are winging their way across the Atlantic at the moment. I would be happy to grow some out, I have a jumbo indoors growing area that is nice and hot all year round. I would struggle in the UK otherwise.

Mark

BarG

Founding Member

For the amount of space needed to grow recommended amount of plants I'll take up to 10 varietys of Dons choice. I'll send my request along with this yrs. donation to seed bank. The only varietys I have listed in red is YTB and guatemalen and a virginia gold seeded from Bonners seedlings last yr.. will send on 1-7-13

I plan on adding another new grow area this year so will have plenty of space.

I'll post any varietys don sends for grow out here.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Several months ago, I requested:
  • Hoja Parado
  • Criollo Salteño
  • Córdoba
  • Lattaquie 92
Since this was by PM, rather than the newly established snail mail method, and JBD will be growing out the Criollo Salteño, I'll ask Don to select any substitute for this one.

Bob

DonH

I ordered Bursa, Silver River, Shirey, and YTB from the seed bank. Shirey and YTB are listed as red, so I will definitely bag those for the bank. But I also plan to bag all other varieties as well. Since this will be my second year growing, I plan to grow a lot of varieties. Left over from last year, I have Kelly Burley, Shirazi, Azteca, Isleta Pueblo, and Virginia Bright Leaf seeds. Then I got carried away after ordering from the seed bank and ordered some other seeds from New Hope and TobaccoSeeds: Black Sea Samsun, Lizard Tail Orinoco, One Sucker, Big Gem, Harrow Velvet, Havana 142, and Del Gold. I must be going insane.

But Don, I'd be happy to accept some rare seeds of your choice for a seed bank growout in addition to the two depleted ones I ordered.

Ishi

I have saved seed from YTB and virginia gold from plants that i got from BigBonner that I can send to Don when I get the rest of my seeds cleaned. Some verities are still hanging upside down in there bags at this time.
Dan

Aaron

My grow out request will be for Harrison Chaco, TI 711, Lonibow, and Vavilov. :)

ChuckP

Howdy Y'all!

I don't have a lot of seed, but could grow out: Lizard Tail/Turtlefoot, Havana 608 and Havana Ottertail and would donate them to the seed bank. The LT/TF and HavOt are good crossover varieties for pipe, cigars and cigs. I'll send the seed tomorrow and select another variety or two for grow-out.

Thanks to everyones dedication and willingness to share their good fortune! Chuck.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With any seed sent to the FTT seed bank, be sure to indicate the method used for bagging or otherwise assuring varietal purity.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've requested any seed of Don's choice. There's probably some varieties that may not be that popular but we don't want to lose forever. I don't know if brown nosing helps but it never hurts. fencing.gif

BarG

Founding Member
I recieved for grow out;

Stamm 161 cigar filler TI 379 PI 405520

Dawma cigar filler TI 170 PI 405007

Forchheimer Cigar filler TI 1486 PI 405680

Katsuyama cigar filler TI 163 PI 405000

I have tried the Katsuyama and realy liked it. The others are unfamiliar to me.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I didn't get any grow out seed. I'm not worthy. :(

Seed requests will be fulfilled using a single format this year. That format is...

Send $2 with your request, name, AND your address (Please write your name and address clearly. I will use this as the mailing label) to

Whole Leaf Tobacco
875 Moe Drive Unit 1-2
Akron Ohio 44310

I'll send your request in a padded envelope.

Hmm, it seems as if I forgot to suggest "writing down" requests. I'll do better next year.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I tried to streamline the request process for truly legitimate reasons....not to be a dick. All of the written requests have been filled. If there was a side note asking for me to suggest a type of tobacco, I'm pretty sure that request was not filled.

I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I also really don't have time to investigate every general request or a "whatever you think is best" request.

You wouldn't believe how many PM's I get with questions like "Is there anything special I need to know about growing this type of seed?" Isn't that what the forum is for?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of being a dick...I don't mean to sound like anyone's 6th grade teacher. When you do submit seed to the seed bank, please, please be extra careful with the spelling of the variety name. Spell the variety name correctly. A spell checker won't know about tobacco varieties, so you'll need to do your homework. I usually use the following link for ARS-GRIN searching, now that my favorite pages have gone dead:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npg...nk&si=0&si=1&.cgifields=si&.cgifields=reverse

Tobacco varietal names are generally a mess. Some distinct varieties have multiple names (list them all, if you know them). If you know the PI number, the TI number, or any other number associated with the variety, include that too. Country of origin is often helpful as well as interesting.

As an example, this year I've begun growing out a variety, graciously provided to me by skychaser, labeled "Costa Rica 589." (The leaf sample that I kilned came out as a deep, oily brown. Delicious cigar filler.) On exploring the ARS-GRIN, I was able to identify it as PI 114370, and actually named Iztepeque. Aha! It's not in the FTT seed bank.

[With the FTT seed list showing in the browser, I press CTRL-F to bring up the search box, and search for the PI, search for Costa Rica, then search for Iztepeque. Nowhere to be found.]

I hadn't recorded the TI number (589), so I didn't think to search for that.

Well...today, I noticed two varieties in the seed bank named "Itztepeque." Notice the misspelling. Boo! One of them is TI 589, which apparently is why my seed was labeled Costa Rica 589 by skychaser.

Sometimes, the original ARS-GRIN accession documents contain misspellings. An example is the Turkish variety Tasova, which is misspelled in ARS-GRIN as Tasoua. Istanbulin was able to clarify this one.

Had I not noticed the Iztepeque issue, then next fall the FTT seed bank would have ended up with a new variety called "Costa Rica 589," even though it already exists as "Itztepeque PI 589." Multiply this mix-up by the total number of varieties in the seed bank, and the list quickly becomes hopelessly confused.

Where typos or careless entries originate doesn't matter (i.e. who's at fault). Eventually, they will all need to be cleaned up, especially for a formal database. The same goes for fancy names that are the product of vendor creativity. Samsun is a variety. Black Sea Samsun is a vendor's invention. Yes, the city of Samsun is on the Black Sea. We all know of bunches of these elaborations.

I have perpetuated incorrect or misspelled names. Don has endured the nightmare of having to enter all the bizarre and foreign names into the FTT forum seed list pages. Typos happen. Some correct spellings are difficult to enter: ñ, ó, ç. That's not to mention Turkish letters. We'll do our best.

Please do your part by carefully spelling the name of seed that you submit. You can misspell everything else, if you like.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hmm, it seems as if I forgot to suggest "writing down" requests. I'll do better next year.

ROFL. Now that's funny. I love your dry wit.

I will have some VA K326 PI552505 that's not on the list. Can I count that as a grow out and donate?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
In addition to all of the information Bob suggests...noting the Type of tobacco is also very helpful. The spelling is something I struggle with often. Here's an example....Forcheimer on the GRIN label has it spelled Forchheimer (two H's). So I don't know if this is a typo or the real spelling. Knowing of no other double h occurring in the English language, I dropped one in the seed list.

ROFL. Now that's funny. I love your dry wit.

I will have some VA K326 PI552505 that's not on the list. Can I count that as a grow out and donate?

Yes, speaking into the envelope and sealing it really fast doesn't work....and yes, we could use the VA K326. Good luck getting seeds from that one ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.