Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Growing Tobacco for Nasal Snuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Where does it all go? Does it land and stay in the nasopharynx? After it hydrates and gets larger do you need to suck it down so you can spit it out?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Honestly I don't have much issue with that Smokes, I never really taste it, I'm guessing it gets directly digested through the sinuses. That and well...dried mucus from the nasal cavities...

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'll have to try some sometime. I know it was really big a long time ago.

squeezyjohn

Not really as gross as it sounds. You're just supposed to waft a small amount enough for it to sit on the septum(??) bit between your nostrils and blow it out after a short while, preferably with a brown snuff handkerchief! If you get it right up there it's horrible and does indeed start to come out "the other side" where it can taste really bitter - but that's not the idea of taking snuff.

It gives a very fast nicotine response - not quite as quick as smoking but much faster than chewing.

Cheers

Squeezy

istanbulin

Founding Member
As I know the only "snorted" (nasal) snuff is Scotch type which is very dry, strong, with or without adding fragnances (i.e. menthol etc.) and very fine particled.

For making a nasal snuff grinded tobacco (lamina) particles are subjected to another (second) fermentation. At the beginning leaves should be fermented/kilned too (first fermentation).

I tried to make a nasal snuff this year with Hasankeyf (N. rustica) and Trabzon laminas. Now the second fermentation is about to finish.

Here's the recipe,

Bone dried laminas grinded into very fine particles and mixed with 50 % water (by weight). Then subjected to the second fermentation for a month - I opened the box today and smelled the pure ammonia.

After this stage I'll add 10-15 % new grinded lamina and 1 % Sodium carbonate (or bicarbonate) to the fermented snuff. Then I'll let it rest another month.

I couldn't recall the taste of the snuff I used (only once) almost 30 years ago (package below) but I'm sure it was a Scotch type snuff. We'll see how my experiment will come out.

enf.JPG

istanbulin

Founding Member
After the one month fermentation, it has a strong cigar smell. I tried/snuffed some with adding some NaCO[SUB]3[/SUB] (2%), taste was really very good (absolutely cigar like) but after a while I thought I was having tachycardia seizure, it was a crazy heart rate. I think I made it too strong by using the strongest tobaccos, Trabzon and Hasankeyf, both of them have plenty amount of nicotine. Althought I used the same old blend/recipe, I'm not able to remember the effects and taste of the snuff I took 30 years ago. May be this one is not very suitable for old men, or may be I'm not able to tolerate that much nicotine.

I may try it after the second process (above) but not sure. This may cause a hearth attack :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AlbertaSnuff

As I know the only "snorted" (nasal) snuff is Scotch type which is very dry, strong, with or without adding fragnances (i.e. menthol etc.) and very fine particled.

For making a nasal snuff grinded tobacco (lamina) particles are subjected to another (second) fermentation. At the beginning leaves should be fermented/kilned too (first fermentation).

I tried to make a nasal snuff this year with Hasankeyf (N. rustica) and Trabzon laminas. Now the second fermentation is about to finish.

Here's the recipe,

Bone dried laminas grinded into very fine particles and mixed with 50 % water (by weight). Then subjected to the second fermentation for a month - I opened the box today and smelled the pure ammonia.

After this stage I'll add 10-15 % new grinded lamina and 1 % Sodium carbonate (or bicarbonate) to the fermented snuff. Then I'll let it rest another month.

I couldn't recall the taste of the snuff I used (only once) almost 30 years ago (package below) but I'm sure it was a Scotch type snuff. We'll see how my experiment will come out.

View attachment 8545
I apologize if this is too old to bump, I would just like to note that European based snuff can be purchased in moist and coarser varieties. Also, nicotiania rustica is extremely useful in strengthening snuff, which is normally quite a bit weaker than smoking or dip.

Status
Not open for further replies.