Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My Ice cream box fermentor "Contraption"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
About the 4th day, my first try I had a very small batch witha higher wattage bulb and did fine for about 3 days till we hit over a hundred degrees here and my temp inside got to high all of a sudden, so I started over with new bigger batch and the 60 watt bulb. so far so good ,I'll keep track of what works..... {edit} It seems the bottom towel stays slightly damp to the feel as does the tobacco on bottom and center, and the top towel feels dryer as does the very top layer of tobacco. by turning seems to even out moisture throughout pile. Theres probably a hundred ways to tweak temp and humidity.

Last edited:

Hakamo0o

The brick is now dry and in an old wooden cigar box, I'll preserve it at humidor like conditions so it could age for a year.

BarG

Founding Member
So how many days have you had this going ?

It's been 2 weeks now and I notice a bit of a sweet smell. has a much better smell than before. I have been adding different piles of leaves about a week apart, one batch is several 1.5" rolls of leaves banded together, another is a bunch of tips and smaller upper leaves loosely piled, all wrapped in towel to help keep humidity consistant as possible. I will let my next batch stay maybe 3 weeks to see if if there's any difference. Temp has been staying fairly steady between 118 lowest [a couple hours at night]- 125 degrees [during heat of day].

Daniel

Banned
I found the cheap humidity gauges from wal mart will be destroyed by the 120 degree temps I am trying to get. It is jut out of their range it seems. I also have jut gone with the feel method. I have had a problem getting the moisture to spread out evenly in my kiln. some tobacco is soaking wet while other parts are bone dry. I am going to try bagging it while it is at the right moisture and just heating it in the kiln. Toss the crock pot part out altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.