Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My Ice cream box fermentor "Contraption"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakamo0o

Hello,
I now have some leaves that are color cured and ready for the Fermentor :rolleyes: .
I am using an old ice cream box, a 40 W bulb, thermometer, small nylon bag and some small containers to hold water.
here are some photos and if you have any comments/modifications please share ;)
20110719_003.jpg

20110719_001.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Amazingly simple. Since the heat won't be uniform, I would suggest two things. Add a hole in the lid to a position near the "back" of the leaf, so you can move your thermometer from one hole to the other, to see the temp differential. Also, I would rotate the leaf bundle frequently (maybe once a day), so that it ferments more uniformly.

If you don't have a hygrometer, add a small cup of dry rock salt (NaCl) to the bottom of the kiln. Then the humidity will be near 75% so long as there is some liquid in the salt cup. If it all turns to liquid, then reduce the exposed surface of your water source. (Being a chemical engineering guy, you probably already know this.)

What range of temperature are you getting?

Bob

Hakamo0o

My first run results were: dry leaves and 155 F

So I added some more water

Second run:

109 F and 60%, leaves still springy

and I will turn them every day.
Thanks for the advice.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hakam,
Keep a close watch on the temp getting too high. There are two principal enzymes in the leaf that bring about curing: an oxidase and a peroxidase. The oxidase is the more active of the two, but it denatures at around 149ºF. The peroxidase denatures at about 189ºF. Once you cook them, they're gone. You might want to add thermal ballast of some kind.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You would be able to adjust the temperature inside the fermentor by using a dimmer switch. I don't use fermentors, so I'm not positive what the end result you're looking for, but when pile fermenting, the temperature should never go above 128° F. If you're trying for more of a Flue curing technique, that's usually completed within 7 days with maximum temperatures close to your max temp.

Chrism

I got an old upright fridge with the top being the ice box. I'll be converting it some time. Crockpot sounds like a good idea.
Any one got a bom from the hardware store?

Chris

Chrism

Bill of materials.
So:
Crock pot
Thermo stat
Temp gauge maybe?

I haven't done much of ac stuff. I have done dc (12v and less).

DrBob

Founding Member
I have a bom for you ( bill of materials ) The cheapest thermostat you can use is a lower element water heater thermostat it will cost you about $10.00 . You can wire it to an extension cord breaking the hot (Black) wire passing it through the thermostat. leave the neutral un cut. Plug the cord into a wall outlet plug the crockpot in the other end. Set the thermostat to 120 degrees.
A better thermostat is the ranco etc 111000 which can be had prewired online for about $75.00 It is the way to go! a rugged digital controller just plug it in.
For a thermometer I use a taylor probe type meat thermometer. Just drill a 1/8" hole in the door and stick the probe in the hole thest thermometers cost about $8.00 in hardware stores.
For a humidity gauge I use the cheapest thing I could find, MY FINGERS! If it feels dry and crispy it is too dry! If it feels limp it is just right! If it feels dripping wet it is too wet!

This aint rocket science here. It is controlled aging of tobacco.

Dr.Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This aint rocket science here.
I agree completely. Rocket science is just math, but tobacco aging is an art. Every rocket scientist agrees on the same set of ballistics equations. Every tobacco artisan has his own theory and technique.

You spent the big bucks on a digital thermostat. I spent my big bucks on a remote digital hygrometer/thermometer. We're both happy. (Except I want my little kiln to be as large as yours.) And it still just comes down to the look and feel of the tobacco while it's aging. To paraphrase a question from the lexicon of political acrimony, "What do I know, and when do I know it?"

Bob

Chrism

All the info that gets provided helps us new fellas. I'm excited how a community just gave away seeds. In fact I got so many now I wouldike to donate either for newbie or somebody who needs a certain kind. I remember my whole garden last year I gave most away because I enjoyed it. This tobacco growing so far is more enjoyable than the vegies :).

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
During the early stages of fermenting raw tobacco, you will smell ammonia. The ammonia is derived from the oxidation of a portion of the nitrogenous compounds (nicotine, etc.). Once the ammonia smell is gone, the tobacco is smokable, but it will get much better if you ferment it longer, and then let it rest outside the kiln for a few weeks. Try a bit at each stage to gain an understanding of what your specific kiln and technique are doing with your tobacco (Smyrna-like strain, as I recall).

Bob

Hakamo0o

Now I smell honey, still no repugnant smell. I feel like eating them :D

Regarding the next steps, I don't have a good wrapper so I will store and age till my next harvest. How do I do that?
Should I strip the stems and collect them all in a pile while still humid and then wrap them in a cloth tying them with strings? or what?!!

Thanks

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Long term storage of tobacco can be tricky. One way to store it would be to strip the leaf when it's in light case, flatten out each half as best you can and stack the leaves together. Either roll or fold 30-40 flattened leaves and seal them in a heavy mill plastic bag.

The problem with doing it this way is if the leaf is in to high of case, it could develop mold.

Another way is to just let the whole leaf hang in a shed or barn. As long as the leaf remains undisturbed while it is bone dry, it won't be harmed at all...this is the most natural form of aging. As long as you don't have prolonged period of high humidity, strong winds disturbing the leaf when its dry or any type of pests, this is the best way to store tobacco.

I've had tobacco that is in very high case stored in a refrigerator for almost 2 years and there is no mold problem.

You can store whole leaf loosely in large paper bags. The reason you want to store it loosely is so when your ready to process some, it can be removed from the bag very carefully so you don't crumble it into little pieces when handling it. Lay it out on a table and mist it moderately with water to bring it back into case. If the leaf was stored semi compressed and got bone dry, it would be very difficult to separated it without breaking it into little pieces.

Another way to store it would be to strip the leaf, make a stack as outlined above, put it in wooden cigar boxes and store it in a large humidor that is properly monitored and maintained for cigar storage.

The main thing is to keep it from getting too moist for an extended period of time (more than 48 hours). I lost a lot of tobacco to mildew due to 3 days of rain followed by a week of cloudy warm days.

If you're going to use the leaf strictly for cigars, you could compress it while in medium to heavy case, spray the outside surface of the compressed leaf with 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 1 pint of water, seal it well in a plastic bag (try to remove as much air as possible...vacuum seal would be perfect) and stick it on a shelf.

Last edited:

Hakamo0o

Thanks Don, I striped and piled the leaves into a small organized piles and rolled them all with cloth (no too tight) and put them in a humidor. Will leave them till September 2012.

I tried to chew a 1 square inch piece and it tasted good, accidentally swallowed a little of it.....IT BURNED LIKE !@#$%$#, I've had Jalapenos that burned less!!! Is that a high nicotine level indicator?

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I have a bom for you ( bill of materials ) The cheapest thermostat you can use is a lower element water heater thermostat it will cost you about $10.00 . You can wire it to an extension cord breaking the hot (Black) wire passing it through the thermostat. leave the neutral un cut. Plug the cord into a wall outlet plug the crockpot in the other end. Set the thermostat to 120 degrees.
A better thermostat is the ranco etc 111000 which can be had prewired online for about $75.00 It is the way to go! a rugged digital controller just plug it in.
For a thermometer I use a taylor probe type meat thermometer. Just drill a 1/8" hole in the door and stick the probe in the hole thest thermometers cost about $8.00 in hardware stores.
For a humidity gauge I use the cheapest thing I could find, MY FINGERS! If it feels dry and crispy it is too dry! If it feels limp it is just right! If it feels dripping wet it is too wet!

This aint rocket science here. It is controlled aging of tobacco.

Dr.Bob

Bob ...Can you just wire up a light bulb for heat ?
And just use a tray of water to raise the humidity ?

BarG

Founding Member
I've never tried fermented tobacco so I set up an experemental chamber consisting of:
1- old dish washer destined for dump
2-1 old outdoor light fixture {the motion detector kind w/out motion detector, disassemble so your only useing 1 side if double fixture, leave base for mounting, leave metal shroud for bulb}
3-60 watt bulb
4-insulation for exterior {I'm using old shipping blankets} would recommend ac duct insulation
5-12in. deep frier thermometer

I removed bottom rack ,and bent wires over in top rack to give flatter surface and more space, drilled small hole in one side about centered top to bottom, front to back to accomidate wire for light fixture, screw fixture to side.. add water to bottom of dish washer and plug drain hole {plastic and rubber bands}. Mine has another 3/4 in.hole in front bottom, I fill to this level, just before starting to leak. Aim light fixture straight down to heat water and cause evaporation. The bottom hole allows air to enter from bottom and top of door has vent that I contol with rag to make smaller or bigger, also allows for insertion of temp gauge. I lay an old towel in tray and pile tobacco and cover with another cloth or towel. check morning and evening. Mine has been maintaining about 120 degrees +, If feels to dry sprinkle a small amount of water on top cloth, if to damp uncover top cloth. By turning once or twice a day my tobacco has maintained a not to wet, not to dry feel to it. Will be interesting to see if I can tell the difference in a week or so. I have mine located under covered back porch. Have had no problem with heat build up where fixture mounts to plastic side of washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.