Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

An old and interesting cigarette brand

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I was searching for some old Turkish blends and I encountered this old cigarette blend "Osman" from R.J.Reynolds Co.. I was really surprised because the man on the package is Osman Paşa who was a hero and a field marshal. I searched the story. Dick Reynolds (the owner of the company) see Osman Paşa on a newspaper and decided to create a new Turkish blend cigarette brand "Osman" (as said, those times Turkish blends are the best sellers in the US) and used his photo on the package (I think there was no copyrights at that time). I tnink, really an interesting story :).

The package

osman.JPG

and a photo of Osman Paşa

220px-GhaziOsmanPasha.jpg

Boboro

I like old stuff with history behind it. When I was a kid I thougt 1875 was old history but now that Im old I know it was only when my great grand fatherwas born. The older I get the closer a long time ago is to me.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that Gemal Ataturk outlawed wearing of a Fez in Turkey in about 1923. I doubt that this was marketed within Turkey.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
Fez, veil, robe and all of others were banned in 1925. This cigarette was probably never sold here, it's not related with the fez. Foreign tobacco products were not allowed here until 80s. In 70s smuggled American cigarettes were sold in streets.

...Gemal...

A little correction, it's "K", Kemal.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Roughly, what year(s) would this have been? The advertising looks 1920's.

Sorry, after a year I just noticed your post today with the help of the other thread.

You're probably right about the date. Osman Paşa died in 1900 and according to Wikipedia Reynolds died in 1918. So the brand probably created in early 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century but Camel was also very popular those days so I'm really not sure about the date.

CT Tobaccoman

In a book I read about Irish in the old country, there was mention of Osman cigarettes being very popular, a favorite among the poorer folks.

ArizonaDave

Sorry, after a year I just noticed your post today with the help of the other thread.

You're probably right about the date. Osman Paşa died in 1900 and according to Wikipedia Reynolds died in 1918. So the brand probably created in early 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century but Camel was also very popular those days so I'm really not sure about the date.

I had a good friend of mine that that was his favorite brand (Camel).

Interesting history!

Status
Not open for further replies.