Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Maryland leaf in wrapper form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

Lately, I have rolling cigars using a variety of fillers - just about any tobacco can be used as a filler. The problem I have is that the wrapper imparts a strong aroma to the cigar and overwhelms the flavor of the filler. For example, I want to roll a cigar made with some Burley TN90 as the filler and use CT shade as the wrapper. When I go to smoke the cigar, it is very difficult to discern the aroma of the Burley.

In my opinion Maryland leaf is essentially devoid of aroma when smoked alone. Therefore, Maryland leaf would make a great wrapper for cigars made using Burley filler or just about any other filler. Has anyone dealt with this issue? Does Maryland come in wrapper form?

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I use MD 609 as binder and sometimes wrapper depending on the leaf quality. Yes I do find it to be a very mild leaf. AS Deluxstogie pointed out in an earlier post it is a damp leaf and 609 puros smoke wet and hot. (I much prefer Havana 142). -- J

SmokeStack

I have a few pounds MD 609. I smoked it in a pipe and it has the "neutral" aroma that I am looking for. However, it is difficult to find a wrapper quality leaf. They don't make the most handsome of cigars, but as long as they work. I have a cigar in a press mold now and I will try to roll one with a select piece of Maryland 609.

BTW How long should I wait to smoke a cigar after I have rolled it? I am not sure if there is an approximate set time.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
BTW How long should I wait to smoke a cigar after I have rolled it? I am not sure if there is an approximate set time.
In my experience there is no fixed time. The rate at which mine dry is a strong function of RH. With the house as dry as mine is in the winter overnite is plenty. In the summer it takes a lot longer. My experiments with a warm over were a failure. As for aging, mine never last long enough to find out. -- J

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You can always use a nice burley leaf as the wrapper. As an alternative, on WLT, have a look at the "Shade Wrapper," which I believe is Indonesian VBN, and the Bezuki. Both are less aromatic than CT Shade.

While planning for 2013, you might consider planting FL Sumatra, which produces a nice, medium-brown wrapper with fairly subdued aroma. This is from sun-grown leaf. Another candidate for a low aroma wrapper is sun-grown Mutki, though it was not as productive as the FL Sumatra.

I've used MD, as well as maybe 30 other varieties as wrapper. Most of these impart their own distinctive taste and aroma. The Bezuki is a winner on many counts, though I would replace it in a heartbeat with either Ecuador Sumatra or Ecuador CT Shade, both of which are smoother and milder than CT-grown CT Shade.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I've used MD 609 before for a wrapper. It really needs to be shade grown to work well for a wrapper. Perhaps there should be a new thread.... "Sun grown tobacco that works well for a wrapper ( such as Fl. Sumatra becasue it is thin, tastes good and stretches well)"

SmokeStack

I smoked a cigar using my homegrown Florida Sumatra with a Besuki wrapper and the Besuki wrapper dominated the aroma. I know this because I have been smoking my Florida Sumatra in my pipe. I found that it is surprisingly mild for a cigar leaf and pleasant for pipe smoking.

Well, the cigar in my press right now is Florida Sumatra filler with a Florida Sumatra binder. I will take Bob's advice. I have plenty of TN90 Burley and I will use that as the wrappper. Maybe next year I will grow some Maryland Leaf. There are many varieties - can anyone suggest a particular variety?

BTW How do they get wrapper leaf flattened so nicely?:)

Knucklehead

Founding Member

They apply wrapper presses right after topping and keep them on through harvest, curing, and kilning. Deluxestogie has a thread on here somewhere showing how to make them from an old ironing board, Boeing aircraft interior panel repair tape and some stainless steel alloy wingnuts. Torque is in inch \ pounds rather than foot \ pounds, that kind of gets lost in all the technical jargon.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Knucks,
That must have been someone else. I just hang my primed wrapper leaf to color cure. It goes into a kiln either as rumpled whole leaf or as stemmed,folded leaf. Once it comes out, it's a simple matter to bring it back into case, then lay a leaf out perfectly flat.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
Maybe next year I will grow some Maryland Leaf. There are many varieties - can anyone suggest a particular variety?

I realy like the taste of the Ct. broadleaf and ct. shadeleaf. The ct. broadleaf that I grew seemed to be a little thicker like the pa. red than my havanas but I love the flavor.

ChuckP

I realy like the taste of the Ct. broadleaf and ct. shadeleaf. The ct. broadleaf that I grew seemed to be a little thicker like the pa. red than my havanas but I love the flavor.

Diito!!! Using the Black Mammoth is my flavorite wrapper with combination. :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.