Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Recipe for Red Beans and rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsHomesmoke

1lb dry kidney beans, 1 small onion,1 clove garlic,2 small mild peppers,1 tsp red pepper flakes,1 tsp Tony chachere's cajun seasoning,1lb sausage(andouille is called for,but I prefer kielbasa).Sort and soak beans until they swell(about 2 hours).Rinse and put on to cook in about 1 quart of water,on medium heat.When beans are starting to get tender,add sauteed onions,garlic,and peppers.Add seasonings and simmer on low heat.Make your roux(gravy)in the meantime.Cajuns try to make roux seem harder than it is.Just add 1/4 cup canola oil in an iron skillet,turn on very low heat.Add 1/8 cup of flour.Stir in slowly.You must stir constantly so it doesn't it burn.When it's a golden brown color,add it to your pot of beans.Stir in slowly,then add your sausage,whole or sliced up,your choice.Makes a whole lot of food.(I don't know how many servings.Boboro just eats it like crazy.)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
1lb dry kidney beans, 1 small onion,1 clove garlic,2 small mild peppers,1 tsp red pepper flakes,1 tsp Tony chachere's cajun seasoning,1lb sausage(andouille is called for,but I prefer kielbasa).Sort and soak beans until they swell(about 2 hours).Rinse and put on to cook in about 1 quart of water,on medium heat.When beans are starting to get tender,add sauteed onions,garlic,and peppers.Add seasonings and simmer on low heat.Make your roux(gravy)in the meantime.Cajuns try to make roux seem harder than it is.Just add 1/4 cup canola oil in an iron skillet,turn on very low heat.Add 1/8 cup of flour.Stir in slowly.You must stir constantly so it doesn't it burn.When it's a golden brown color,add it to your pot of beans.Stir in slowly,then add your sausage,whole or sliced up,your choice.Makes a whole lot of food.(I don't know how many servings.Boboro just eats it like crazy.)
I Thank You kindly Ma'am. I guess you serve rice on the side. Here I thought they were cooked together. I make my own Italian sausage so I'll try that and make adjustments as necessary. Eating portions of this I guess I should be happy I live alone. LOL -- John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I made a pot of beans last night, but there more like hillbilly beans. I start by simmering a ham bone in a couple quarts of water for 2 hours.

I use pinto beans, but fix them like you do the red beans. When the meat is falling off the ham bone, I take it out of the water and add the beans and a whole onion and black pepper.

While the beans are cooking, I clean all the meat off the bone and add it back to the pot.

I like my beans a little soupy so the corn bread has something to soak up. Top the beans with some raw onion and a little drizzle of maple syrup ;). Corn breads in the oven...I'll show you what it looks like later.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Beans and rice, this is a staple food here too :) and your recipe really looks delicious. With your permission MsHomesmoke, I want to give a Turkish style beans and rice recipe. There may be people interested in different tastes.

A) Bean and lamb (you may use different meats but this is my favorite)

Ingredients (serves 4):

- 400 grams (14 oz) pinto beans (you may use different beans)
- 250 grams (9 oz) lamb (or other meat) chopped into small chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions
- 2/3 large fresh tomatoes, or a tin of chopped tomatoes, or 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 litre (34 fl oz / 0.26 gal) lamb stock (or other stock)
- 1 sweet pepper, cut into medium sized chunks
- Salt and black pepper

Preparation:

- Soak the beans overnight (minimum 12 hours), then rinse them well, drain and boil for about 30 minutes until they are just starting to become tender. Drain and put to one side.

- Dice the onions, and cook in the butter until golden. Add the meat to the pan and brown it lightly. Allow any juices to evaporate. Add the peeled and chopped tomatoes, the chopped peppers, and approx 1-2 teaspoons of salt.

- Cover and cook on a low heat for about 30-45 (according to your meat) minutes.

- Add the beans and the stock, cover and let the stew simmer until the beans are nice and tender.

And serve it with "pilav" (rice) :)

B) Here's the "pilav" (rice) recipe,

Ingredients (serves 4):

- 3 glasses of rice (Baldo rice is the typical rice for cooking Turkish rice, we don't use Jasmine or other rices)
- 3 tablespoons butter (real butter :))
- 3 glasses of water or stock (use the same size of glass used for the rice, chicken stock works well)
- Salt and black pepper

Preparation:

- Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold water. Place the rice in a bowl and cover with hot salted water. Let this stand until cool. Wash again thoroughly in cold water (the water should run clear) and drain well.

- Melt the butter in a saucepan until it just starts to sizzle, before it turns brown. Add the rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously.

- Pour the stock or water into the pan, bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer on a low heat. Don’t stir the pilav whilst cooking! Cook until the rice has absorbed all the water (10-15 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste.

- Take the pan off the heat, and remove the lid. Place a clean kitchen towel over the pot, and then replace the lid. Leave to “brew” for 5-10 minutes. Then serve.

If you like your rice extra fluffed, you can use a wooden spoon or fork to stir it up a little before serving.

Bon appetit :)

MsHomesmoke

Yes,john.I'm sorry I forgot to tell about the rice.But yes,the rice isn't cooked with the beans and sausage.You can use whatever style of rice you like with it.I hope you enjoy it!:)

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Beans and rice, this is a staple food here too :) and your recipe really looks delicious. With your permission MsHomesmoke, I want to give a Turkish style beans and rice recipe. There may be people interested in different tastes. :)
Thank You. Sounds great and I love lamb. It is expensive here but for this I can buy and cut up less expensive cuts. -- John

MsHomesmoke

Istanbulin,that looks like a really good recipe.I love tomatoes in anything.I'll have to try this recipe with venison(I'm not fond of lamb).My recipe is really tasty(not bragging,I just like the dish).I just took a recipe I found in a Cajun cookbook and tweaked it to my own satisfaction.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Yes,john.I'm sorry I forgot to tell about the rice.But yes,the rice isn't cooked with the beans and sausage.You can use whatever style of rice you like with it.I hope you enjoy it!:)
Thanks again. I eat a lot of rice. I spent 3 years in Japan and learned to like short grained rice and the way they cook it. -- John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Secrets of a Lazy Bean Cook

Add dry beans to a Crock Pot before going to bed. Fill 3/4 with water. Set on "Low."
In the morning, dump the water, add fresh water, add the other ingredients, and leave on "Low" until dinner time. Serve over white rice.

Secret 1: Dry beans will come out more tender, and cook faster, if there is no meat, salt or acidity in the cooking water until the beans are fully cooked.
Secret 2: If you dump out the cooking water in the morning, and add fresh water along with the remaining ingredients, the beans will cause less intestinal gas.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
Secret 2: If you dump out the cooking water in the morning, and add fresh water along with the remaining ingredients, the beans will cause less intestinal gas.

Bob

Thats for shore. But gases remain.
And if you drink milk over the beans before you go to bed it is very hard to wake up in the morning. At least i have that problem.Choking.

Status
Not open for further replies.