Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Flavoring: the Science

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tobacco Flavor Book

I don't recall seeing this outstanding book (74 pages) on the intricacies of tobacco flavoring. The link was posted on HTGT by chillardbee. The book was originally created by Leffingwell et al. in 1972 for R.J. Reynolds.

http://www.leffingwell.com/download/TobaccoFlavorBook.pdf

Excerpt of the table of contents:
  • Tobaccos and Blends Used in Smoking Products
  • The Role of Casings in Flavoring of Smoking Products
  • The Role of Top Flavoring Materials in Smoking Products:
  • Science and Art
  • Evaluation of Specific Flavoring Materials
  • Selection of Flavoring Materials
  • Flavorant Use Levels

Bob

Aaron

Very nice information. I especially liked section 17 because I plan to grow many herbs this year to experiment with for tobacco flavoring. Great find!

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thats a fantastic find, i didnt realise there were so many flavourings. Reminds me of the perfume and aftershave industry.

SmokeStack

The book is nice in that it does list a comprehensive list of flavoring agents. But remember it was published in 1972 when it was possible for anyone to order any chemical from a chemical supply company. Today, things are much different. The DEA and the Department of Homeland Security are watch each sale of a chemical like a hawk. You must have an account or affiliation with a legitimate institution (university or industrial) to purchase chemicals. And even then, the chemical purchased remains the property of the institution. Chemicals can no longer be purchased for oneself.

Secondly, many of those chemicals are downright nasty. They must be properly diluted and very carefully applied to tobacco. As a chemist, I would never mess with many of those chemicals listed. I can't imagine using that crap to flavor my tobacco. If you want to flavor tobacco, I would refer to section XVII on Herbs, Essential Oils and Extracts. These flavoring agents are much easier and safer to work with. They are many websites that specifically sell these products - just Google it.

The use and addition of chemical flavoring agents on tobacco seems to contradict the purpose of growing tobacco without the use of pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers.

Bob, the reference was great and I enjoyed reading it. I don't mean to be such a downer. It is interesting to learn of which chemicals were added to flavor tobacco back then. But remember, in 1972 they were still using carbon tetrachloride as dry-cleaning fluid - it makes the hair on the back of my neck standup to think about that.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Marco,
You are quite right about the chemicals. Fortunately, most forum members will have little interest in the specific chemicals, but will find the Herbs, Essential Oils and Extracts more approachable. I should note, however, that some of the named chemical compounds are simply the formal names of some commonly encountered food flavoring agents, such as diacetyl (butter flavor), eugenol (oil of clove), thymol (oil of thyme).

As a boy of about 9 or 10, I used carbon tetrachloride is a small plastic try to examine the watermarks on postage stamps in my growing collection. Although I inhaled the fumes from it, I found it more convenient to remove the saturated stamps using forceps. Hah!

I think the discussion of the interaction of flavor and aroma components is also a valuable aspect of the book.

Bob

leverhead

I ran into some stuff last night for making Shisha. They were making a "tea" with spices and herbs to use for wash/soak water on the Tombac.This thread made it all the more interesting!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Printed out section XV11 (17) for my growing collection of tobacco related reading materials, thanks for the share!

HermionE

Banned
This is really a nice info. Thank you for sharing this. According to the Associate Press, the FDA has been blocking the introduction of brand new tobacco goods for additional than 18 months. The tobacco industry states cigarettes have not changed, so the postponement is meaningless. In the meantime, watchdogs say that tobacco companies have been efficiently skirting the review process. Get details located at this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokeStack

Marco,
As a boy of about 9 or 10, I used carbon tetrachloride is a small plastic try to examine the watermarks on postage stamps in my growing collection. Although I inhaled the fumes from it, I found it more convenient to remove the saturated stamps using forceps. Hah!
Bob

Bob, I bet you used to play with mercury also! My Mom said that when she was a child, they would play with the mercury if a thermometer broke. Now if a mercury thermometer breaks in the student lab, the university policy is so stringent that we have to evacuate the lab and use a special spill kit (powdered Zinc) to clean up the mess, not to mention all of the paperwork. How times have changed.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Sadly enough I'm too young to know that experience....BUT....I was fortunate to find a thermostat from the 70's in my house, nice little vial of mercury just waiting there for me (naturally it stopped working so I needed to change the thermostat ;))

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You missed all the fun then!.. There's nothing like sticking a mercury thermometer in some hot water and the showing it to your mother hoping she'd see how sick you were and let you stay home from school. The problem is, she never believed the 105 degree reading..:)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
My mom never believed that I was sick until she got out the ol' thermo. The 104 on Easter one year kinda scared her

wazzappenning

they used to let the kids play with it when my stepfather was in school. he said they would just let it flow from one bare hand into the other. i guess it was safe then, but so was asbestos. oops i just noticed were in a thread that shouldnt be getting so far off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.