Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Environmental Preservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Just started a Environmental Science class today that is a pre-req for my criminal justice degree (....:confused:). It seems to be a pretty good class thus far (it focuses alot on the agricultural/farming aspects). What are your guys opinions on organic farming of tobacco in particular? Do you practice it, do you find a difference?

Boboro

Organic farmin = Skinny disease riddin bug eatin plants. Ok just kiddin ppl. But not compleaty. I useto grow organic and you need to know what your doin to pull it off. Now I use chems. when necessary and it dont bother me to do so. When the gov. got involved I just lost a lot for the movment. That you need a environmental science class that focuses on ag. to get a criminal justice degree says a lot on where were goin in the US.They want to control the food supply. Always be sure you on the right side of that justice thing .

skychaser

We have never put a chemical of any kind on anything we grow. We are 100% organic. And we will never have anything to do with the BS involved in being certified organic growers either.

wazzappenning

i think my patch was just about organic other than the Ammonium Sulfate i added. no chems at all after that. everything did very well except where the neighbours tree seems to be taking recources away from my plants.

as for the govt controlling food supply, youre right. GMO is the way they are going.and the gmo co's are all buddy buddy with the govt. i was never an organic supporter, but with the gmo issue along with the dirty dozen list (the most chemically laden produce), ill go with organic where i can afford it. ie: i buy a 3 lb bag of organic apples at safeway for $5. regular apples are $1.99/lb. apples are at the top of the dirty dozen.

while researching gmo i also found out there is gmo tobacco. it is mostly to control bugs i think, but yields a tobacco with low or no nicotine and is used in light blends.

istanbulin

Founding Member
People don't have to use chemicals or synthetic fertilizers for growing tobacco. For example, organic farming is not a new issue for Turkish tobacco farmers, they always grow it this way since the tobacco plant arrived this lands. Bugs, caterpillars and etc. (pests) may eat the leaves or tobacco plants may not reach huge sizes. Is this what you want for tobacco ? It's not for me. Of course this is not a problem for cigarette tobacco growers, still tobacco will be shredded. But there're some organic solutions for pests for the good looking tobacco leaf growers (e.g. cigar wrappers). Do you think Cuba is using pesticides or synthetic fertilizers (which are mostly by-products of the iron-steel industry) on their valuable tobaccos, no.

Let the bugs eat some of the leaves, also they can't eat the whole crop. They may eat one (whole) plant out of twenty plants (by leaf weight). If you examine carefully some tobacco plants (for same strain) are more preferred by pests, others may be less preferred. So take seeds from the less preferred (by pests) plants, next year you may have more pest resistant plants.

For the fertilizers, you may prefer to use manure (cow, sheep, etc.). But if the animals don't eat organic plants their manure won't be organic. Today, nearly 80% of the cattles are fed by GMO corn so they have to get antibiotics to survive and there're antibiotic residues in their manure as well as their milk and meat.
But if you have your own cattles (or chickens, rabbits, pigeons etc.) and are feeding them with fresh or dried grass (or other natural herbal produts) you'll have organic fertilizers.

leverhead

Today, nearly 80% of the cattles are fed by GMO corn so they have to get antibiotics to survive and there're antibiotic residues in their manure as well as their milk and meat.

Cattle don't do well on Corn, of any kind. Feeding them "out" on Corn changes the texture and flavor of the meat, it's kind of like making a specialty meat product on the hoof. The antibiotics keep them healthy enough for slaughter for food. GMO Corn yields per acre are many times what non-GMO Corn would yield. It's all VERY big business, so profit is the ultimate goal. It's not very healthy, but it is legal.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive went 100% organic fert's, and had good sucess with it,

and ive used specialized granular fert's, and had sucess,

tobacco, is like any other plant, as it matures in growth, it needs a different part of the N-P-K- scale,

nitrogen at the beginning of the growing cycle, and potash,/ potassium, near the stage when the leaf starts to get heavy with resign/nicotene.

this year i'll be going 100% granualr fert's simply because i have acess, to it all, even the minor trace elements,

istanbulin

Founding Member
... GMO Corn yields per acre are many times what non-GMO Corn would yield. It's all VERY big business, so profit is the ultimate goal. It's not very healthy, but it is legal.

I know it's a VERY big business and I also know the BIG problems of American farmers because of the BIG companies producing GMO seeds like Monsanto. This is why we're trying to keep away from GMO. GMOs are banned here, we achieved this. With Non-governmental organizations, academics and other volunteers, we spent three years to force the government to ban GMO. Because I know that GMO is a marsh; after a step into it, it's very hard to recover the system.

leverhead

We have a long history of doing terrible things to the land. If we screwed some up, there was more to be had. It set the pattern for US agriculture, we're just learning how life on this continent works. It's not that different from what the old world has known for a thousand years, we're just full of ourselves like a 20 year old. In another 300 years we may look at things a little differently.

The Farmers I feel sorry for are the ones growing Soy beans. They've been saving their seeds for a long time. When their neighbors plant patented Soy seed and cross pollinate with theirs, their seed now contains patented genes. Through no fault of their own, they owe a royalty to the patent holder for crap they didn't want. It'll take more than a few beatings and house burnings to sort this stuff out. It's not pretty, but it is the American way.

Boboro

We have a farmer here who alwas grew his ownseed got sued by Monsantoe faut them for years and has lost millions he dont have for beans he never wanted. Roundup ready I think.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
are hybrid seeds g.m.o.'s,??????

i seen pallets of hybrid corn seed, where i work,

Boboro

Hybrids you can do nathrly. gmos Are genitely modafide in a lab but the geans can be passed down witch makes thease damm seeds monsters. And BIG seed owns the seed eaven if it invades your seed plants.Frankin corn.

Aaron

Last year was my first year ever trying to grow anything. My yard is an ugly lifeless patch of dirt with no topsoil. I'm going to also try to grow some vegetables and herbs this year in addition to all my tobacco. I've been trying to do a lot of reading on organic farming principles and I think the main things I'm going to try this year are Bio-char and Companion planting/Permaculture. Here's a video link of the Bio-char TLUD-Retort contraption I'm currently trying to copy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg95KYrH8PI I'm also going to try planting several nitrogen fixing plants (legumes), and some pest repelling plants like (marigolds, nasturtiums, and mustard). It's a learning curve for sure but I hope in the next few years I will be able to build up some soil that will support healthy growth instead of killing everything.

A couple sites that have been helpful trying to learn some of this stuff . For general Green/Organic ideas and principles http://www.permies.com/ has some interesting reading. For plant info and uses http://www.pfaf.org/user/default.aspx is an incredible resource.

wazzappenning

i dont believe gmos yeild more per acre, just like the argument that were in a drought, when cali had a vote to label gmos. the thing is theres no such thing as drought resistant crops, yet. look for it in the next few years though. the video i saw called genetic roulette, showed the gmo crops looking real sickly next to the unmodified ones.

chicken, 90+% of all corn is gmo, and its hard to stay away from. sadly its mostly marketed to kids. corn syrup in soft drinks, corn/frosted flakes. its in almost everything since corn can be made into tons of things, like glucose, dextrose, maltodextrin, your starches, etc.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yeah. You can call it Lance ArmSTRONG burley.

I got this off the Dept of Ag. website. On the left no steroids, on the right steroids. Same age.

mday001.jpg

Boboro

Sterods are baby play cumpaired to GMos I wish I could get some sterods as a spring toinic. Yall dont want me to be genetically modified.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I thought the chickens we get in the store are just a hybrid Cornish crossed to a rock, 8 weeks on 16 lbs feed to slaughter and dress out to about 4 lbs. You can buy the eggs and hatch them yourself too raise organically and still have the broad double breasted meat bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.