Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Effect mechanism of licorice flavorings

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
We all know that licorice extracts (or other forms) are widely used in tobacco products. I also found licorice flavoring in deluxstogie's thread of tobacco flavoring.

In that book it's said that licorice is used as an adjunct to boost the sweetness of tobacco products. The taste of licorice to the smoker is that of a mellow sweet-woody note which, at proper use levels, greatly enhances the quality of the final product.

But how ? I made a little search on net about this issue.

Main sweet tasting compound from licorice root is called "glycyrrhizin" (the name of the coumpound come from the scientific name of the licorice "Glycyrrhiza glabra"). It is 30–50 times as sweet as sucrose (table sugar). Pure glycyrrhizin is odorless. Although sweet, the taste sensation of glycyrrhizin is different from that of sugar. The sweetness of glycyrrhizin has a slower onset than sugar has, and lingers in the mouth for some time. Unlike the artificial sweetener aspartame, glycyrrhizin maintains its sweetness under heating (I think this is the important point for sweeting the tobacco products with licorice).

Other side of the this compound is quite interesting. I know that licorice roots are using as a tarditional medicine (today it's called alternative medicine) for treatment of coughs or colds (as said it may produce anti-inflammatory, expectorant and mucolytic effects). Glycyrrhizin have an effect of expanding the airways, which allows tobacco smokers to inhale the smoke smoother. Of course it changes the composition of the smoke but it doesn't change anything in tobacco, we just fell the smoke smoother with wider airways.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In one of my mild pipe tobacco casing recipes, I use a tiny quantity of anise oil that produces a noticeable change in the taste and aroma, while not enough to identify the licorice flavor of anise. True licorice is the root that you describe (Glycyrrhiza sp.). Anise, on the other hand, is an entirely different plant (Pimpinella anisum), that produces anethole in its seeds. Both smell like "licorice." Most "licorice" flavors in liquors, candies and pastries are the result of adding anise, rather than licorice.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
Anise extracts really works in tobacco. Last week I tried it with adding some raki (anise flavored, 45% alc. by vol.) into tobacco, it was good. But in the second case, I don't agree with you. I tasted anise (aniseed tea, in liquors(raki and uozo) and also the seeds alone) and licorice roots (again in tea form, raw root form and the licorice honey), there's really a big taste difference between them (for me). But for a person who did not taste them alone, they may taste similar. Of course licorice is cheaper than anise. Also there's another plant called star anise (Illicium verum) which is not related with real anise and cheaper than anise. For lowering the costs mass producers prefer licorice and star anise instead of anise. There may be a change in sense of taste who is using that products for years. I didn't taste star anise so it may resemble licorice flavor, no idea. I think your oil and the flavors in that products may be derived from star anise.

Juxtaposer

Licorice is mostly used as a casing for tobacco not usually a topping. In this respect it is not a licorice or anise type flavor that is expected but more the sweetener and other above mentioned qualities that istanbulin has brought up.

Status
Not open for further replies.