Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

menthol anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

driftinmark

ok starting to work on menthol smokes....first order of business menthol crystals, got them from amazon for like 9 bucks for 4 ozs

I have tried the seedman menthol spray and it doesnt really work to my satisfaction....so thats why i am going this way on it
the propylene glycol in it moistens the baccy wayyy to much....leaving it wet for weeks , so you cant adjust it with out drying it out first...

next up....got some 100 proof vodka from the store, highest proof I could find today, some of it actually made it in the mix, lol...

next up some orange oil and a little anise oil both suspended in alcohol...extracts....a little goes a long way, no exact measurements yet, just trying this out....

mixed the oils first, then filled with the vodka , then added menthol crystals, and shook till it dissolved the crystals....

took some of Dons virginia , and some of the izmir and a lil yenice and mixed in a bowl with a cover on it.....sprayed the mixture onto the baccy and it is now covered...

I will let you guys know how it turns out tommorow.....

driftinmark

I dont smoke menthol Boboro, but my girl does, we have tried all the tubes, zen, hot rod, gambler, and a few others, but she says they dont really taste the same for some reason, and once you open them up, you might as well roll the whole carton and then store them as the menthol flavor goes away quickly from them..
the menthol rolling baccys I have bought all kinda suck too....dons is the best baccy i can find, so imma try with that....

thats why i am trying this route, shes real picky, but you know how it is, gotta try to please them, lol....anyway, n ports are prolly the hardest to duplicate

marksctm

You can get menthol tubes yhat taste great.
I agree, I hand cut some of Bigbonners bright leaf and his dark air cured last night and smoked it in a menthol tube and it taste great, I open the box of tubes and let them air out about a week, to strong for me when you first open them.

driftinmark

wow, just tried the first batch of this stuff. whoaaa nelly, way to strong, gotta tone down the menthol!!!

i will report back the next batch...

Randy

Kepp us updated on your experment driftnmark..Im very interestred because me and wife smoke menthol ciggs..been looking for good value way of adding to tobacco..so far Ive read if you add fresh-grow speritment leaves to your tobacco and put in bags/containers and let sit-ahwile that it will absorb the menthol flavor?? but do I know until try myself

Randy

SmokeStack

Kepp us updated on your experment driftnmark..Im very interestred because me and wife smoke menthol ciggs..been looking for good value way of adding to tobacco..so far Ive read if you add fresh-grow speritment leaves to your tobacco and put in bags/containers and let sit-ahwile that it will absorb the menthol flavor?? but do I know until try myself

Randy

Hello Randy,

A while back I posted a procedure that I use to flavor pipe tobacco. The same procedure can be used to flavor cigarettes with menthol as well. It is basically what driftinmark is doing with vodka. I use 100% pure ethanol or Everclear 190. If you flavor tobacco using a solution containing a lot of water, it will be difficult to dry it. Anyway, below is how I flavor pipe tobacco and can be used to flavor cigarette tobacco with menthol. You need to figure out the ratio of menthol, alcohol and tobacco - but it is easy...
Re: Preparing Burley for cigarette blend
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tom_in_TN
SmokeStack, seems interesting way to introduce flavor into tobacco leaf. Please, let us know how to go about it and how much of the essential oils are you using? Thanks.

I use this method for preparing pipe tobacco, but it could be easily applied to preparing cigarette tobacco. Let's say I want to make a licorice-flavored pipe tobacco...

• First I blend the base tobaccos for the pipe mixture, for example 40% Yellow Orinoco (a Virginia), 30% Yellow Prior (a Virginia), and 30% Yellow Twist Bud (a Burley).
  • Then I prepare a "concentrate" tobacco which is a Burley tobacco that is heavily flavored.
  • Finally, I add a small amount of the tobacco concentrate (5% more or less) to the base blend and mix thoroughly.
  • After marinating for a few days, you will get your licorice-flavored tobacco.

The key is in the making of the concentrate tobacco. I prepare the concentrate as follows:

1. In a snap-lock jar with a rubber seal is placed a shredded and dried Burley tobacco that fills the jar half-way.
  2. Then the licorice oil is dissolved in 100% ethyl alcohol (Everclear 190 proof will probably work.). DO NOT USE METHYL ALCOHOL - IT IS POISONOUS! Do not use anything else for that matter.
  3. The licorice/alcohol solution is poured into the snap-lock jar and over the Burley tobacco. If you don't have access to 100% ethyl alcohol or Everclear 190 proof, then add the licorice oil straight as it comes from the bottle.
  4. Using a spoon, mix the tobacco and the licorice/alcohol solution (or the straight oil) together thoroughly. If there're is excessive liquid on the bottom of the jar, then add some more tobacco in small amounts until there is little to no liquid remaining on the bottom of the jar.
  5. Snap the jar lid closed and let the tobacco marinade overnight.
  6. The following day, spread the tobacco concentrate on a plate or cooking sheet and let the alcohol evaporate. Stir the tobacco occasionally. I let it sit out for two or three days to insure that all of the alcohol has evaporated. Trace amounts of alcohol pose no detrimental effects.
  7. The tobacco should be a little sticky at this point - this is the tobacco concentrate.
  8. Place the concentrate back into the snap-lock for storage.

One problem I foresee is the availability of 100% ethyl alcohol or Everclear 190. I have never tried using regular 80 proof liquor so I don't know how that would work. You would have a lot of water to deal with at the drying stage (step 6).

I think using straight licorice oil (without alcohol) would work. On the positive side you can ignore the drying step (step 6). On the negative side, marinating (step 5) would require more time and more mixing. The alcohol is used to help permeate the licorice oil into the tobacco.

As far as as the amounts of tobacco, licorice oil and alcohol used in this procedure, it varies depending on the type of oil flavoring that you want to use. I have not used licorice oil before - I just mentioned it as an example. As a rough estimate, you could dissolve 50 mL of flavoring oil in 100 mL alcohol and add this solution to a half-pound (more or less) of Burley.

The advantage of using this concentrate method is that you can try it with any combination of base tobaccos - this allows you to easily tweak your blends. This method is simple despite the lengthy procedure I outlined above - just trying to spell it out.

If you try this method, please post your results - I would like to hear how is works out.​

BTW Could someone suggest (to a computer illiterate person like me :)) how to refer to a post or how to put in a link to a post without having to copy/paste it?

Randy

Thanks SmokeStack lol you think you are PC ittlate lol weclome to club I have front-seats to that I learned to BS my way throgh alot of things until really need to learn then hits me..wait-a-minute shute-up and listen!!

Randy

DonH

Correct if wrong? but sperament leaves natural form of menthol oil?

Randy
That's true, but I don't know how they smoke. But if you want a more natural tasting menthol you can mix spearmint or peppermint essential oil in water and mist the tobacco. Has a nice flavor because there are other oils in it besides menthol.

driftinmark

wow smokestack, great write up....the problem here is its impossible to find ever clear....so the carrier choices are limited...200 proof grain alcohol is well, kinda illegal, lol, imma try some over proof rum next time, or maybe some good bourbon or whiskey, might add a few more flavors with that...

I am gettin closer with this, newport uses menthol citrata oil, and that to spensive for my wallet, lol...so a little bit of orange flavoring and the menthol is working, but have to tone down on the menthol, this is wayyy better than tubes , I think it will be cheaper in the long run also....

I just have to work up a formula now , and ill get back and post it....

driftinmark

I have tried that route also Don h, but the spearmint flavor is rather strong and too sweet for the average smoker, but its a great desert smoke!!!

DonH

I have tried that route also Don h, but the spearmint flavor is rather strong and too sweet for the average smoker, but its a great desert smoke!!!
That happened to me too but it's easy to fix. Just mix in some unflavored tobacco until it tastes just right.

Frozenthunderbolt

BTW Could someone suggest (to a computer illiterate person like me :)) how to refer to a post or how to put in a link to a post without having to copy/paste it?

1. Open the thread you want to quote
2. click on the http: etc etc etc address in the bar at the top of your browser (the thing you get on the net with) highlight it and right click and click 'copy'
3. when you 'reply to thread in the tool bar is an icon which looks like the world with a pair of glasses in front of it. Click it, past your link in (make sure you choose the correct beginning to the web address) then click save.
4. the link you have posted will show up in blue and underlined in your post.
5. once you are done typing hit the 'post quick reply' button as you usually would, and your reply will contain a useable link to the page of the thread that you want to reference - you will just need to say "Dr. Bob's reply 1/2 way down this page" (or what ever it is that you want to draw to people's attention)

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.